Respected Contributor

2 weeks ago I noticed that my 3rd tooth in the front had a crack in it I don't even know how it happened. I have good teeth and never had any major problems. Well, I called the dentist and started thinking about the Covid-19 and got scared and cancelled the appointment. Well, today as I was eating an orange a small  part of my tooth broke. So i immediately called the dentist and I have an appointment next Monday. It doesn't hurt at all. I am still nervous about going to the dentist, but Ii  have no choice this time. The receptionist said they are booked up like crazy and I was lucky to get an appointment so soon. Am I over reacting on going to the dentist?

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

2 weeks ago I noticed that my 3rd tooth in the front had a crack in it I don't even know how it happened. I have good teeth and never had any major problems. Well, I called the dentist and started thinking about the Covid-19 and got scared and cancelled the appointment. Well, today as I was eating an orange a small  part of my tooth broke. So i immediately called the dentist and I have an appointment next Monday. It doesn't hurt at all. I am still nervous about going to the dentist, but Ii  have no choice this time. The receptionist said they are booked up like crazy and I was lucky to get an appointment so soon. Am I over reacting on going to the dentist?

@cuddlesmama No, you're not overreacting when you have a broken tooth. You might want to see an endodontist instead of your regular dentist. 

Respected Contributor

Yes.

Honored Contributor

It's my understanding that a broken tooth should be looked at asap and should not be ignored. I had a piece of a molar break off last year and I went to the dentist. Turned out the molar needs to be extracted, long story. I was scheduled to have an implant but the pandemic changed plans for me. I have been living with a half molar now for a year. I've been doing APF gel (fluoride) treatments regularly to strengthen my teeth and prevent any tooth decay. So far I have had no problems crop up. I plan on continuing with my implants as soon as I can...next year hopefully.

Frequent Contributor

I had something similar happen a few years ago and the dentist was able to put a crown on the tooth.  It was one of my upper incisors so as far as I was concerned pulling it would have been out of the question and although expensive, approx $1,200.00 it was certainly more economical than having an implant done.

As far as Covid and the dentist goes they have very strict guidelines that they have to adhere to.  I have been keeping up my regular schedule since June but I certainly understand your concern. I debated on going in but also do not want to have problems down the road because I did not go for my regular check ups. 

Regular Contributor

Please try not to worry and go to the dentist.   I went for my 6 month cleaning last week and they are taking extreme measures to keep everyone safe.  Outside waiting, temperature taking, protective gear, extensive mouth washing and continuous changes of gloves throughout the cleaning.  I hope this is standard in the industry.   You need this attending to.  I'm going to get a old filing replaced by a crown before it breaks and leaves me with the option of a possible implant which would be expensive.  The dentists have their own safety to consider as well.  All the best.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Endodontist do root canals, that would be up to her general Dentist to determine if see needs one.

Patches with with latex cement can usually be done to replace the chip

@Mindy D wrote:

@cuddlesmama wrote:

@cuddlesmama No, you're not overreacting when you have a broken tooth. You might want to see an endodontist instead of your regular dentist. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama  If the fracture is not a threat to your tooth, maybe they can just build it up with bonding. I broke a big chuunk out of a front teeth years ago and bonding worked very well. Btw, I wouldn't be too concerned about a dentist visit. 

Honored Contributor

My daughters and I had cleaning appts in June and July.   The new routine our dental office followed shows they are doing their very best to provide safe dental care for their patients.   

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone much appreciated. Glad to read others have had similar problems and had there tooth fixed and I feel more relieved that some here went to the dentist and all was fine. I know when I get there I have to call from may car and let them know I am here. As far as taking the temp I don'tknow. I will post back on how I did with my tooth. Thanks everyone and keep safe.