Honored Contributor

Re: Broken Blood Vessel In Hand

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

Your hand looks like mine has looked many times over the years. A couple times a reel of wire tipped over on my hand on my job at AT&T. When I  was a hockey Referee I got my hand hit many times by hockey sticks and also an occasional flying puck.

I would always wrap an ice bag around it(tied fairly tight) as soon as I could after our games, and at work. Had my GP check it the first time and he told me it was a blood vessel. Twice it was more than 1 injured vessel and it looked much worse.

Never had a serious problem from them as far as using my hand. Maybe couldn't squeeze as hard, and yes it did not feel the best, but that was a regular part of what I chose to do, which was participate in hockey games.

If you can take Anti-inflammatories like Advil/Aleve etc. that too might help. If you are still concerned tomorrow or the next day, it is always good to have a doctor check it out. Take care now and try to have a nice weekend.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Ouch! 

Really can’t offer any other excellent advice already given to you...

just a ‘Get Well Soon!’ post🌼💛

Honored Contributor

Thank you @kitcat51, @Havarti , @Drythe@hckynut  and @sidsmom .  hckynut, it's okay to take Advil?  Since it was a burst blood vessel I wasn't sure if Advil might make it bleed more.  I know it helps swelling but wasn't sure about the blood aspect of it.  I did take Tylenol.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought this Arnicare from Walmart for around $8. Find it in the wound care section where the antiseptic ointments and bandages are located. I bought the gel and it goes on clear, absorbs fast and is odorless. It actually states on the package for 'bruises' and 'pain relief'. It helped a bruise on my chin go away fast.

This one is the cream. There is also a gel.

Arnicare_5th_cream_tube-left_800.jpg

Trusted Contributor

It does look like a broken blood vessel. I ruptured a blood vessel years ago on the top of my foot. I was washing a car at one of those do-it-yourself car washes the day before I started college (years ago) and dropped the large, heavy, metal sprayer on the top of my foot. I ruptured a blood vessel. I was starting sorority rush the next day and had matching shoes for each outfit I brought for the rush parties. Unfortunately, none of my matching shoes saw the light of day because my entire foot swelled up and turned many shades of purple, blue, and green. I went through rush in a pair of black sandals (the only shoes I could fit into). The silver lining was that all the sororities remembered me because my foot looked to bad and I got into the sorority that I wanted. I did ice and elevate my foot every night, and took an anti-inflammatory for the pain and eventually the swelling went down and the pain subsided. That being said, I am not a doctor and it certainly cannot hurt to have a doctor take a look at it. I hope you feel better soon.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

OUCH!! I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @kitcat51, @Havarti , @Drythe@hckynut  and @sidsmom .  hckynut, it's okay to take Advil?  Since it was a burst blood vessel I wasn't sure if Advil might make it bleed more.  I know it helps swelling but wasn't sure about the blood aspect of it.  I did take Tylenol.

You did the right thing.  Don’t take anything that will cause more small vessel bleeding, like aspirin, Aleve, Advil, Motrin.  

Ice, elevate, and rest. 

Respected Contributor

Arnica might help. Hope you heal quickly.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @kitcat51, @Havarti , @Drythe@hckynut  and @@hckynut, it's okay to take Advil?  Since it was a burst blood vessel I wasn't sure if Advil might make it bleed more.  I know it helps swelling but wasn't sure about the blood aspect of it.  I did take Tylenol.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

hckynut, it's okay to take Advil?  Since it was a burst blood vessel I wasn't sure if Advil might make it bleed more.  I know it helps swelling but wasn't sure about the blood aspect of it.  I did take Tylenol.

@NickNack 

If you wrap the hand with an ice bag/keep it elevated, a 325mg anti-inflammatory will not increase the bleeding. Like an open cut injury, pressure/ice and elevation, will help decrease blood flow to that cut. It will also mean less tissue involved in the injury.

While aspirin/ibuprofen/naproxen do thin the blood, unless you are talking "therapeutic doses(2400mg or more)", chances of more bleeding are darn slim. Clotting time is the more important factor with any type of bleed, internally or externally. The time is usually measured by a blood INR/ProTime reading.

I never had any problems with excess bleeding from deep bruises(broken blood vessels) during the years before my PE, and I always took a 325mg anti-inflammatory. Once my colon started bleeding? Every single thing related to blood clotting time changed because of my need to take a blood thinner.

What has worked for may be different, but low doses of the above mentioned never increased blood flow to any of my dozens and dozens of open cuts/ruptured blood vessels, or deep, deep bone bruises and 9 broken noses.

hckynut

hckynut(john)