Trusted Contributor

I broke my ankle in early February.  Was in a cast for 4 weeks.   I am now in PT.   I have had two sessions and am doing very well.   I also do my exercises at home.    They mostly consist of moving the foot up and down etc. with or without a stretchy band.   They are telling me maybe 6 weeks in therapy.   I don't think so.   I can do the same exercises at home.   I honestly don't think I need to go that many times. I am in excellent shape for my age.   Anyone else a PT dropout?  

Super Contributor

here's what I say--I had both my knees replaced within 2 weeks of each other--I went for pt and after a while I felt like I didn't want to go anymore BUT I decided that this was going to be the only time I had to make sure that I did all that I could have done to have my knees in the best shape that they could be--I say hang in there and complete your pt and then you will know u did the best you could for your ankle--good luck--marynj

Esteemed Contributor

No! Keep going. Your exercises will change and increase in strength training, rotation and mobility. You are in the "baby step" program. Stay with your PT - it's so worth every hour!  (I went for my fractured back and am so  glad I didn't consider skipping any.) When you have finished, your physical therapist will measure you again and you will actually see significant changes in your body. It's amazing! 

Keep exercising those bones to keep them strong. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@danedylan wrote:

here's what I say--I had both my knees replaced within 2 weeks of each other--I went for pt and after a while I felt like I didn't want to go anymore BUT I decided that this was going to be the only time I had to make sure that I did all that I could have done to have my knees in the best shape that they could be--I say hang in there and complete your pt and then you will know u did the best you could for your ankle--good luck--marynj

I had the same experience with my total knee replacements.  The PT can get tedious, but sticking to it pays off in the long run.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@danedylan @BirkiLady Thank you so much for your responses.   I will contitnue to keep going.   I'm just getting anxious to get back to normal but I guess this is the  best way... Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

Definitely me!

And there is pt and then there is pt.

Out of all the  many different times I've been, I've had 2 or 3 wonderful ones that knew so much and helped so much!

the others, some made it worse, and others I got the exercises and then did them at home.

So much fun to go 2-3 times a week-Not! when you are trying to get back on your feet.

Don't feel bad about being a pt escapee- You won't be the only one.

And you know your own body and yourself so do those exercises if they help and be gentle with ourselfSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@Junebug54 

So sorry to hear you broke your ankle!!  OUCH!

I suggest you stick with it.  Healing a broken bone and making sure you heal the best way possible, especially ankles and feet will be more valuable as you get older.  You might be in great shape now.  But in time, you don't want to have a "bad ankle".  

It's like sometimes when you break a bone, it's just never the same or it heals "weaker" and you find that you easily roll your ankle, even when you are just walking normal. 

I know it's a pain.... but be a good junebug and take care of yourself.  :-)  

Esteemed Contributor

PT totally depends on how good your therapist is.  Some of them work miracles and some are awful.  It you insurance covers it or the payments are reasonable stick it out.

Respected Contributor

@Junebug54 I broke my ankle as well.  Had to have PT 3 times a week for six weeks.  I went for 3 weeks and stopped.  I had the same experience as you.  They had me do circles with my foot, clockwise and counter clockwise. the I had do do the alphabet using my foot, use the "strecthie" same as you.  They did some heat therapy but the exercises never changed.  I did better at home on my own, exercising every single day.  I should have stopped at two weeks!

Honored Contributor

I broke my left ankle a few years ago.  I got tired of PT too.  I dropped out and just did the excerise at home.

I was supposed to go to PT when I had surgery on my foot.  I never went and I didn't go when it was,recommened for my herniated disks either.

I never felt I needed it...and I didn't.

If I ever get a knee replacement, which is in my future, I will go for PT and IFeel that is necessary.

I do know that doctors recommend a lot of PT.  When I worked in insurance, it was a big money maker for rehab centers and they had to be monitored for medical necessity. It was an over used very expensive medical procedure.  Hundreds of dollars for one session., plus extra for heat/ice packs, etc.