Trusted Contributor

Re: Broke myself for the first time this morning

@Laura14 wrote:

Trimming a tall bush this morning and the bush tripped me and I fell back and they are pretty sure I snapped my wrist.  Moses ain't seen nothing yet once I burn that baby to the ground.  

Maybe I should shut up but not the unbearable pain I thought breaking a bone would be.  Just stiff and really achy.  I have a brace since ortho is closed until Monday.  I also have a prescription for two drugs but haven't filled either one yet.  Just doing ibuprofen.

Am I living in a dream world?   Should I go get them filled because the pain happens later or is a broken wrist pretty bearable?  Stupid question I know but I'm deciding to just keep my day going as is and wing it.  Look how well it's going so far.  Smiley Surprised  

Also, if you've ever done anything one handed, you will entertain yourself immensely.  Opening a stevia packet is a new art.  And I still can't even type about the "attempt" to shampoo my hair after I got home from urgent care.  Smiley Very Happy

Any tips anyone has about caring for a broken bone or being one handed, I'm all eyes.  Hope your weekend started better!  

@Laura14, go get the prescriptions filled, stop taking the ibuprofen immediately, it will hinder the healing of the broken bone. I never knew this until my daughter broke a couple of bones in her back, her orthopedic surgeon told her this. 

This is a cut/paste from familymedicineassociates.com: 

"Does taking ibuprofen after a fracture delay bone healing?

Breaking a bone can unfortunately be a very painful experience. Health care providers frequently prescribe pain medication like ibuprofen to help relieve the pain and swelling caused by a broken bone. Ibuprofen (Advil and Motrin, for example) does a good job of relieving the pain of simple fractures and is safe for short-term use for people who don’t have allergy to this kind of medication, kidney disease, or a history of stomach ulcer. On the other hand, some health care providers are worried that using ibuprofen after a fracture may delay bone healing.

The reason for concern

All non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory medications, including ibuprofen, block the production of prostaglandins, which are chemicals made by the body to help the healing of broken bones. When these chemicals are blocked, theoretically, bone healing can be delayed."

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  <------  the smart one!

@sgraham30  Wow, thank you!  I will switch to the naprosyn they gave me.  4 months in pharmacy school and never heard that.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14  OK girl.  Take a pill and GO TO BED.  You have done way too much today!  You may feel ok right now but believe me it is going to catch up with you all too soon.

Hope you are able to sleep tonight.  I will be thinking about you.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Laura14  OK girl.  Take a pill and GO TO BED.  You have done way too much today!  You may feel ok right now but believe me it is going to catch up with you all too soon.

Hope you are able to sleep tonight.  I will be thinking about you.

@grandma2pkmh  So sweet.  Already done. In bed medicated with Netflix. 

Have a great night and thank you everyone for all the great advice.Heart

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you filled your prescription.

At 3 am you would have been googling for a 24 hour pharmacy ;o)

Pain is always worse in the middle of the night when you're trying to sleep.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Lilac---oh the bruises I found from that fall--- landed on my wrist, then my elbow, then my lower back--had bruises everywhere but not black color ones, just your normal purple blue, green, icky yellow ones that did take a good solid month to go away.

@wagirl

Oh that black bruise scared the dickens out of me!  I thought I was going to have to have my whole arm cut off!  I never had a bruise like that before, but I hit the wall very hard, and immediately could not move my whole left side, and then the shoulder and arm for at least ten days. 

It stunk too because I couldn't even get a wet tissue in between my arm and my side, the pain of trying to move it was horrific.

It's been ten months and I am still acutely aware every time I get out of bed to walk, I am constantly looking around me for anything I could trip on.  I still do not remember what really happened . . . all of a sudden I was sliding across the floor into the wall and my quilt holder (which I broke and had to be thrown away).  I hit the right side of my forehead which immediately produced a huge hematoma.  That also took weeks to heal, and I still have marks on my right cheek, obviously my face hit something also.

It's good now though, I'm very lucky.  I still rotate my arm and do the PT exercises.  I find if I don't, it has a tendency to get a little frozen.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

lilac---oh you poor thing!! What a horrendous accident!! Did you get any surgery ; did you go to p/t at all? Mine was just one bad slip on black ice, but went down hard; didn't hit my head but bruised my lower back that needed a chiro to put back in order. I had surgery and went to many weeks of p/t and lots of home p/t too. Mine happened 6 months on the 10th. Have most my mobility back but wrist is stiff. Got metal plates and screws in it so prob always be less flexible than before. And it happened on my left wrist where is the side  I had a few lymph nodes  removed as well as a breast due to cancer 5 years ago so got some lymphodema from the trauma. Just don't bounce as well as I use to. And I look very carefully at where I walk too.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

lilac---oh you poor thing!! What a horrendous accident!! Did you get any surgery ; did you go to p/t at all? Mine was just one bad slip on black ice, but went down hard; didn't hit my head but bruised my lower back that needed a chiro to put back in order. I had surgery and went to many weeks of p/t and lots of home p/t too. Mine happened 6 months on the 10th. Have most my mobility back but wrist is stiff. Got metal plates and screws in it so prob always be less flexible than before. And it happened on my left wrist where is the side  I had a few lymph nodes  removed as well as a breast due to cancer 5 years ago so got some lymphodema from the trauma. Just don't bounce as well as I use to. And I look very carefully at where I walk too.

@wagirl

No surgery.  They took a CT scan of the shoulder, didn't even look at my head.  I forgot to tell you I also had soft tissue damage to my left knee.  That is still somewhat discolored and numb.  The orthopedic doc gave me a wrap for that and said the numbness could last a few years.  It doesn't bother me though.

I'm sorry to hear about your breast cancer but glad to know you have obviously beaten it.

I guess the longer one lives, the more things can happen!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I don't even understand this post.  Why complain about the pain if you haven't even filled the script they gave...you know....for the pain....that they knew you'd have.   I've had two broken wrists over the years and the pain gets worse after the first 8 hours or so.  First time, I had to wait for 48 hours for the swelling to go down so they could verify the break.  Second time, I was luckier.  It was a bad break and orthopod could see the break on the xray and he set it in his office.  Otc ibuprofen would not have help with the pain either time.  As for living one handed.  It isn't easy but almost immediately, you learn how to adapt.  Granted, I had hubby and the girls.  They have plastic shower sleeves that you put over the cast so it doesn't get wet.  I didn't take time off work, I just used my computer with one hand.  You do what you gotta do.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14, I hope you're feeling better by now.  It's good that you have humor with your pain.  Pardon me but I had to laugh at what you posted when you said "Moses ain't seen nothing once you burn that baby down", or words to that affect (effect?  I mess that up all the time).  Don't blame the poor bush, lol.  Give it a second chance.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)