Respected Contributor

Re: Broke myself for the first time this morning

@Laura14, so sorry to read of your mishap. Lots of good wishes for you.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

A boken  bone is something you KNOW has happened. Undenible, unbearable pain--I broke my wrist in Jan on ice and it was the most painful thing ever. It was at an odd, unnatural angle too.  It swelled up from fingertips to elbow and then turned a gross shade of ugly greenish, purple, from the bruising.I was splinted (er) until I got to the ortho dr and had surgery a few days later. No pain meds helped me at all so had to endure 6 weeks of just dealing with it. I had chemo and rads for cancer and I have to say that the broken bone was much more consuming and hard to live with. Still am healing from it but doing ok. I would get the meds to have on hand--it's hard to get pain under control once it rears its ugly head. No broken bone is bearable, IMHO. And you need to follow up with a dr too. Fortunately, I am right handed and broke the left wrist so doing things wasn't too impossible.

@wagirl

The thing that worried me most was the bruise.  Dark black from my shoulder to my elbow, the whole upper arm.  And I mean black, not purple, nor blue.  And that took months to go away completely after turning every color of the rainbow. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

A boken  bone is something you KNOW has happened. Undenible, unbearable pain--I broke my wrist in Jan on ice and it was the most painful thing ever. It was at an odd, unnatural angle too.  It swelled up from fingertips to elbow and then turned a gross shade of ugly greenish, purple, from the bruising.I was splinted (er) until I got to the ortho dr and had surgery a few days later. No pain meds helped me at all so had to endure 6 weeks of just dealing with it. I had chemo and rads for cancer and I have to say that the broken bone was much more consuming and hard to live with. Still am healing from it but doing ok. I would get the meds to have on hand--it's hard to get pain under control once it rears its ugly head. No broken bone is bearable, IMHO. And you need to follow up with a dr too. Fortunately, I am right handed and broke the left wrist so doing things wasn't too impossible.

OMG @wagirl!  I just did an "Ow" and then I cradled my wrist because it stiffened up.  I heard a snap but wasn't sure if that was me or the bush.   Dull ache to moderate pain only so far.  Only if someone tries to twist or turn my palm up do I start kick boxing them.   

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  I remember reading your posts about that.  My heart hurt for you.  So glad you are past it all.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@LilacTree  I remember reading your posts about that.  My heart hurt for you.  So glad you are past it all.  Heart

@Laura14

Thank you, Laura.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Lilac---oh the bruises I found from that fall--- landed on my wrist, then my elbow, then my lower back--had bruises everywhere but not black color ones, just your normal purple blue, green, icky yellow ones that did take a good solid month to go away.

Trusted Contributor

Don't know if you got a sling while you were at the pharmacy, but I know I needed to keep my arm elevated until I was able to get to the doctor and have surgery.  It was  more painful for me to have my arm down at my side.  I highly recommend getting one.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 If they didn't tell you, you need to sleep with your hand raised above your heart to help prevent the swelling.  Put a pillow under it and that helps.  If you see purple bruise like areas under your arm that ok.  It's due to the elevation.

I'm in GA also so I will watch out for you. LOL

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Laura14 If they didn't tell you, you need to sleep with your hand raised above your heart to help prevent the swelling.  Put a pillow under it and that helps.  If you see purple bruise like areas under your arm that ok.  It's due to the elevation.

I'm in GA also so I will watch out for you. LOL

They did not.  Thank you @grandma2pkmh!  I have insurance for the car too but save yourself from me.  Smiley Wink

BTW, I want an award for figuring out how to get a childproof cap off one handed.  I am all set for tonight.  Pillow, pill if needed, water,...

No bruising at all yet which shocks me but thank you for warning me it may yet happen.  You guys are wonderful.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  Awww... so sorry you broke your wrist. I was out trimming just the other day on a ladder and decided to not do the top..... not to  take that risk.   I tell my husband I am a walking accident waiting to happen.  I try to be extra careful because of that.   As far as those pain pills YES get the prescription filled....it will hurt like the dickens tonight and tomorrow.  Best be prepared.