Respected Contributor

Re: Brigham and Women’s nurses sue over flu shot mandate

On 9/27/2014 poregirl said:

Personally, I would never accept the potential side effects associated with the influenza vaccine—such as permanent paralysis from Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) —for such odds.

You have a much greater chance of contracting Guillian-Barre from being sick from other things or having surgery than contracting Guillian-Barre from a flu shot. GBS is associated with herpes simplex, Hodgkin disease, among several other things.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

And now for a sad but true story, NoelSeven. I know someone who just had a bone marrow transplant. He was treated by doctors and nurses wearing masks who adhered to a very strict hygiene protocol, and then, a hospital orderly went into this man's hospital room and coughed an illness throughout the room he was in, threatening his life. The orderly was clearly sick and clearly should have been prohibited from entering the patient's room, but he wasn't. My friend did indeed become ill, quite possibly from this undesired visit to his room. No flu shot can stop such a stupid, senseless mistake at a hospital.

The flu shot is nowhere near as effective as it should be that anyone should consider a mandate for it for anyone.

But I agree with you on one thing. All sick doctors, nurses and orderlies should stay home and take sick time so they do not infect their patients whether they are critically ill patients or not. That is common sense, but perhaps that is what should be mandated in order to reduce hospital acquired infections.

Here's a study that indicates children who received a flu shot did not have a less severe case of influenza when the vaccine failed to protect them from contracting influenza. This study conflicts with what we are being told. It may be only one study, but it would be interesting if more studies were done to determine if this is true for adults as well, and to confirm these findings in children in other countries. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24061274

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 NoelSeven said:

Right, no one should be forced. However, we do require certain professions to do drug testing for their jobs, and if they don't agree, they're not allowed to get or keep those jobs.

Same for nurses. If they don't think the medical profession knows what they're talking about, they shouldn't be in that profession. And if they refuse to get flu shots, they shouldn't be anywhere near patients or anything patients get near, like food prep.

And not only that, nurses must have up to date vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella; routine screening for TB (and typical follow up protocol if they test positive); hepatitis B, etc.

This is not something new for nurses or nursing students for that matter.

Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 Jersey Born said:

And now for a sad but true story, NoelSeven. I know someone who just had a bone marrow transplant. He was treated by doctors and nurses wearing masks who adhered to a very strict hygiene protocol, and then, a hospital orderly went into this man's hospital room and coughed an illness throughout the room he was in, threatening his life. The orderly was clearly sick and clearly should have been prohibited from entering the patient's room, but he wasn't. My friend did indeed become ill, quite possibly from this undesired visit to his room. No flu shot can stop such a stupid, senseless mistake at a hospital.

The flu shot is nowhere near as effective as it should be that anyone should consider a mandate for it for anyone.

But I agree with you on one thing. All sick doctors, nurses and orderlies should stay home and take sick time so they do not infect their patients whether they are critically ill patients or not. That is common sense, but perhaps that is what should be mandated in order to reduce hospital acquired infections.

Here's a study that indicates children who received a flu shot did not have a less severe case of influenza when the vaccine failed to protect them from contracting influenza. This study conflicts with what we are being told. It may be only one study, but it would be interesting if more studies were done to determine if this is true for adults as well, and to confirm these findings in children in other countries. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24061274

Re: "But I agree with you on one thing. All sick doctors, nurses and orderlies should stay home and take sick time so they do not infect their patients whether they are critically ill patients or not. That is common sense, but perhaps that is what should be mandated in order to reduce hospital acquired infections."

The problem is that people can be contagious before symptoms show up. If you're waiting for a cough of fever, it can be too late.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 pitdakota said:
On 9/27/2014 NoelSeven said:

Right, no one should be forced. However, we do require certain professions to do drug testing for their jobs, and if they don't agree, they're not allowed to get or keep those jobs.

Same for nurses. If they don't think the medical profession knows what they're talking about, they shouldn't be in that profession. And if they refuse to get flu shots, they shouldn't be anywhere near patients or anything patients get near, like food prep.

And not only that, nurses must have up to date vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella; routine screening for TB (and typical follow up protocol if they test positive); hepatitis B, etc.

This is not something new for nurses or nursing students for that matter.

Right. And IMO, and that of many others is, if they don't want to take the vaccines or flu shots, they shouldn't be in the medical profession.

Respected Contributor

There is no way that is what that study demonstrated. You are grossly exaggerating the results of that study.

Could you please identify the independent and dependent variable in this study please? And I am confused about generalizing results to the population as a whole. Could you please describe the principles applied in regard to generalizing results in research?

Respected Contributor

Pitdakota, what is new is that flu shots don't have the efficacy of the other vaccines, and they are the only vaccine that come with an annual requirement. None of the other vaccines required for medical staff are required annually.

Respected Contributor

There is no way that is what that study demonstrated. You are grossly exaggerating the results of that study.

Could you please identify the independent and dependent variable in this study please? And I am confused about generalizing results to the population as a whole. Could you please describe the principles applied in regard to generalizing results in research?

Just read the abstract. If you want to read the full article, pay for it and read it. I provided a link. You will have to reach your own independent conclusion as to what the article represents.

Honored Contributor

Her study is based on inactivated influenza vaccine in children. I'd have to read it more closely, but I can tell you I had the pneumonia shot a couple of years ago and was later notified to come in for another, the vaccine I was given was inactivated because the temperature of the storage was too low.

Obviously, that wasn't true for everyone else's vaccines.

Honored Contributor

Just read the abstract. If you want to read the full article, pay for it and read it. I provided a link. You will have to reach your own independent conclusion as to what the article represents.

The flu shot is considered 70 to 90% effective. I'll take those odds over nothing at all.