Super Contributor

Re: Brigham and Women’s nurses sue over flu shot mandate

I'm not a nurse, and am not required to get a flu shot. But I got one anyway. I'm fit and healthy (ridiculously so, my doctor says). I got my flu shot for "herd health". For the greater good. I can't for the life of me imagine a healthcare worker wanting to be Typhoid Mary.

Trusted Contributor

"Health care workers can transmit the flu to patients, whose illnesses make them especially vulnerable to complications."

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Taking a flu shot, or any other vaccine, doesn't make a person germ-free, or incapable of transmitting any virus or bacteria to a patient or to anyone else. Baboons who received pertussis vaccines carried the pertussis bacteria in their airways and were capable of transmitting the bacteria to other baboons.

This is from the FDA, an entity that could not possibly be considered anti-vaccine by anyone here:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm376937.htm

Respected Contributor

On 9/25/2014 Jersey Born said:

Taking a flu shot, or any other vaccine, doesn't make a person germ-free, or incapable of transmitting any virus or bacteria to a patient or to anyone else. Baboons who received pertussis vaccines carried the pertussis bacteria in their airways and were capable of transmitting the bacteria to other baboons.

This is from the FDA, an entity that could not possibly be considered anti-vaccine by anyone here:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm376937.htm

With all due respect that study is about baboons and whooping cough and even if the vaccinated can still spread whooping cough it's just more reason to vaccinate more people against it.

People should confer with their doctors. Shopping boards and the Internet are not the place for medical advice.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Jersey Born: It's possible that those particular findings apply to that vaccine. We all know that the flu shot doesn't stop one from getting the flu 100% of the time, but it does provide some protection.

Trusted Contributor

My company mandates flu shots, or termination, and must have extensive documentation if you state religious reasons.......I am an RN of 32 years...........I am allergic to flu shots, with documented reaction, as well as a reaction to the annual TB skin test.........NOW......not a positive reaction, but a WELL documented allergic reaction to the TB skin test.......I have to provide annual documentation to the allergy, as I guess they will think that I will suddenly not be allergic any more, AND, due to some chronic medical conditions, it is recommended that I do not take the flu shot........Yes, it is a hassle........but I just go on and deal.....Now, I have an added premium to my insurance if I smoke.......and they will pull hair fibers to test at random, at their wish, and yes, I am exposed to cigarette smoke......so I have to pay the premium, as I could test positive at any time.......NOW, a positive drug test for narcotics I can get by with ........Guess what the Ebola cure is made of.....GMO altered tobacco made in Kentucky, and manufactured in Canada......SO.......if I protect myself from Ebola, I have to pay top premium, as it is made from tobacco.......I feel we have gone above and beyond to protect BIG CORPORATION, and continue to take out of the WORKER paycheck..........JMO..........Wink May I add that the government sent in nasal swab flu protection to the Native Americans to protect them from the H1N1 flu, during the epedimic, to test it out, and it contained the live virus, and it is clearly documented that they sent several hundered body bags, after the use of the nasal swabs, to make accommidations for the bodies they were expecting after exposing the Native Americans to the live H1N1 virus.........Thank goodness, most refused the nasal vaccine..........{#emotions_dlg.wub}(I am Cherokee)

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

I am not a nurse, but have spent my life working at large hospitals and medical centers. Anywhere I have worked, the flu shots have been offered, but have only been mandatory the last couple of years. They are now mandatory because the city/county public health department have made them so. I am happy to be able to have the shots as a freebie, but I would get them even if they weren't free. I had a flu years ago that kept me off work for 3 weeks and took 2 months to recover fully from - and that was when I was almost 20 years younger, in a good state of health. I've gotten the flu shots ever since. My employer also offers egg-free vaccine for those with allergies.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Forrestwolf: Could you ask for a test for tobacco other than the hair test, like saliva or blood?

Trusted Contributor

On 9/25/2014 Ms X said:

Forrestwolf: Could you ask for a test for tobacco other than the hair test, like saliva or blood?

The stated policy for several of the hospitals around state that hair sample testing is the test they preform only.........{#emotions_dlg.crying} Heck, alcohol levels are stated as being below a certain level, and that level is not 0.00, same as DUI is not 0.0.......{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Occasional Contributor

I am a nurse and since I have an immune disorder I can NOT get the flu shot, since my neurologist doesn't want anything that can do anything to disrupt my immune system. I have a written document from my doctor and I am exempt from the shot, therefore I wear a mask during flu season.