Respected Contributor

Re: Brigham and Women’s nurses sue over flu shot mandate

On 9/25/2014 Ms X said:

Jersey Born: It's possible that those particular findings apply to that vaccine. We all know that the flu shot doesn't stop one from getting the flu 100% of the time, but it does provide some protection.

Yes, and we have plenty of evidence to support the effectiveness of flu vaccination programs.

In fact, there is research that supports that flu vaccination programs also decrease hospitalizations related to heart disease and respiratory disease during flu season.

And that certainly correlates with what I saw with many years as a critical care nurse. We always dreaded flu season because we would see so many people with CHF and COPD admitted to our unit requiring mechanical ventilation. Yep, case of the flu. And in many cases, the patient was just about over the flu, but the virus had put such a strain on that patient with CHF or COPD that it would precipitate an exacerbation requiring admission to critical care. Boy would we ever be busy during those times!

So that is a case that I not only read about the results of those types of studies....I saw it first hand in nursing practice over many years.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Valued Contributor

On 9/25/2014 Jersey Born said:
On 9/25/2014 spindlegirl said:
On 9/25/2014 newziesuzie said:

Ms. X, while it may be true that the flu shot provides some protection for some who take it, taking this vaccine has not been proven in either a long term care setting or in a hospital to prevent the transmission of influenza. A person can be vaccinated, yet still be a silent, asymptomatic carrier of the disease they were vaccinated against, and still spread it to others.

I wanted to convey that taking a flu shot will not make a person magically antiseptic and incapable of transmitting influenza to others. A person can take a flu shot, and then touch an influenza contaminated door knob, or telephone, or shopping cart, and then touch another person. Transmission complete. If the flu vaccine works for a person, it works only for that person. The world around us doesn't become any less germy due to our vaccination status. We live in a very dirty world. Even the air we breathe with each and every breath is full of microbes.

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2013/01/microbes-survive-and-maybe-thrive-high-atmosphere

WADR, another article not specific to this topic.{#emotions_dlg.blink} If you don't approve of flu vaccines that's your choice but I hope everyone gets their advice from people in their real life and not the internet. QVC really shouldn't allow this imho. This is the root of the serious resurgence and reemergence of sickness that used to be under control.Smiley Sad

Both of your posts make excellent points Newzie. Sadly, "Dr. Jersey" and "Dr. Javala" have appointed themselves to save us all from the world of common sense and actual science. Lol Nothing you say can penetrate.

Just a warning, "Dr. Jersey" posted an article on a poofed flu vaccine thread and she told us the findings of the study were the exact opposite of what they actually were. Beware! Lol Wink

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha Wink

http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/believe-nothing-no-matter-where-you-read-it/

~~~~

"FAKE BUDDHA QUOTES: “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

~~~~

This is a bad translation of the Kalama Sutta — so bad, in fact, that it contradicts the message of the sutta, which says that reason and common sense are not sufficient for ascertaining the truth."

Kiss

Frequent Contributor

Glad I'm retired from nursing.
Contributor

On 9/25/2014 Qlady100 said:

That is the most ridiculous, frivolous thing I've ever heard of !!! It contradicts's exactly who and what they stand for ! Idiotic doesn't begin to describe it.

Don't even bring up the individual's rights. These are public health nurses in a hospital! it's for their protection as well as all patient's! I wouldn't work there WITHOUT it !!!!

The hospital has the right, they pay insurance and salary them, it's an investment.

Mercy, what are the brains of this world coming to ? Where has common sense gone? Everyone is so concerned about "rights" and "lawsuits" that their brains are dead !!!

They ought to be more concerned about Ebola reaching them.

The flu shot doesn't protect a person from Ebola does it?

I don't think that the lawsuit is about money for these nurses. I think they are just trying to get the point across that what a person puts in his or her body is the decision of that individual and that individual alone. Believe it or not, there are many medical professionals (doctors, nurses, etc.) that choose not to get the flu shot. Many believe that the risk of harmful effects from the preservatives is not outweighed by the slim probability that the shot that one takes will protect the person from the exact strain that the person is exposed to. After much research, my husband and I have chosen not to take the flu shot. I would never try to convince a friend or family member not to take it as I respect a person's right to choose possible protection from the flu if that is a desired precaution. In the same way, I think that others should respect my right to believe that the shot may indeed contain harmful ingredients. Others should respect my wish to protect my body from injections containing chemicals that I believe to be harmful.

Super Contributor

Chemicals ? Really ? You'd rather get the various flu's ????? Expose other people in your realm to it as well? How kind of you.

Respected Contributor

Hello, ladies. Smile

I usually don't post in these threads. More times than not, they turn sour. Differing opinions usually lead to hard feelings. Does it really have to be that way? Is there really no way to have a differing view without it turning bad? I can understand if someone doesn't agree with the other person's view, but perhaps it's not necessary to, you know....demean people, call them names and try to put them down because people don't agree. Even if the OP or someone posts something that may sound different or off the wall or something, that really doesn't seem like a good reason to try to put them down or anything. Perhaps things would get better if people would try to agree to disagree. It might make the threads and discussions more friendlier.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on it. Happy posting. Smile

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

On 9/25/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

Hello, ladies. Smile

I usually don't post in these threads. More times than not, they turn sour. Differing opinions usually lead to hard feelings. Does it really have to be that way? Is there really no way to have a differing view without it turning bad? I can understand if someone doesn't agree with the other person's view, but perhaps it's not necessary to, you know....demean people, call them names and try to put them down because people don't agree. Even if the OP or someone posts something that may sound different or off the wall or something, that really doesn't seem like a good reason to try to put them down or anything. Perhaps things would get better if people would try to agree to disagree. It might make the threads and discussions more friendlier.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on it. Happy posting. Smile

Thank you for your thoughtfulness

There was a time folks use to agree to disagree with out making it personal

Respected Contributor

Ms. X, while it may be true that the flu shot provides some protection for some who take it, taking this vaccine has not been proven in either a long term care setting or in a hospital to prevent the transmission of influenza. A person can be vaccinated, yet still be a silent, asymptomatic carrier of the disease they were vaccinated against, and still spread it to others.

I wanted to convey that taking a flu shot will not make a person magically antiseptic and incapable of transmitting influenza to others. A person can take a flu shot, and then touch an influenza contaminated door knob, or telephone, or shopping cart, and then touch another person. Transmission complete. If the flu vaccine works for a person, it works only for that person. The world around us doesn't become any less germy due to our vaccination status. We live in a very dirty world. Even the air we breathe with each and every breath is full of microbes.

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2013/01/microbes-survive-and-maybe-thrive-high-atmosphere

I hadn't thought of that, JerseyBorn. I still favor the shot because it will prevent some transmissions.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, NC Bandwagon, for being the voice of reason here. And thank you, too, Jerseygirl, for your kind comment. We are all entitled to our own opinions. We are all entitled to read published medical research and reach our own conclusions regarding what is stated therein. This forum should not be a place for cyber bullying, yet that is what is occurring on this particular topic and thread. My Buddha quote came from a refrigerator magnet. I like the saying, allegedly from Buddha, but did not verify the source. I am not afraid to admit that, and I do not think the validity of that quote, or lack of validity of that quote, negates or diminishes any of my other thoughts or comments here or elsewhere.

We need to respect each other's need and inherent right to make our own, personal health care decisions. We all deserve the right to make our own health care decisions, especially since all medical products and devices carry the risk of causing harm and even death to some. That is why this lawsuit brought by thousands of nurses-- who are trained medical professionals-- is important to all of us.

What if one day, we are told that we must follow all of our doctor's orders, in spite of side effects we experience, or forfeit our health insurance, or our right to work anywhere? Do we really want our employer, or doctor, or insurance carrier, to have the legally sanctioned power over us to issue blanket medical treatment dictates or one-size-fits-all treatment plans for us? Are we, as individuals, to be removed from all medical treatment plan decision making, despite the fact that we must live with the consequences and harm that may result from those medical dictates? I sure hope not.

Respected Contributor

I agree that the needlessly hostile posts on this thread are out of line. This is why we can't discuss anything but fashion, make-up, etc. I wish QVC would deal with those who lack the maturity to debate in a civil manner rather than outlawing all discussion of issues.