Trusted Contributor

My 47 yo daughter went for her mammogram last week and they want to do a biopsy. The doctor said it is most likely nothing, just some tissue, but they want to be sure. I am a nervous wreck. She lives in CA and I am not there although I could be. She gets very upset with me for hovering. I tear up thinking about it. I am a "the sky is always falling person" plus she deathly afraid of pain. She cries at the dentist or with a blood draw. Praying.  

Honored Contributor

You Are In My Thoughts And Prayers Quotes

Honored Contributor

Have they done a compression xray or a ultrasound, usually they come prior to a biopsy, and can offer all the clarification that is needed.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva  - I will say a prayer for your daughter.  Please try and remain positive during this time.  As the doctor said, it's probably nothing and he just wants to be sure.

My mom (deceased) was like you.   She would worry about everything and the "sky was always falling".  It was to the point that I couldn't tell her anything because I didn't want to hear how the sky was falling.  I needed positivity when things weren't perfect.

Take care and please keep us posted on your daughter.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  Exactly. My mom would fret so much that I would get more uneasy sometimes, and I didn't want to upset my mom. Strong reassurance is helpful.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it's a very scary feeling but your anxiety is not what she needs right now. Think positively and pass it along. Stay in prayer and I will too. When the time is right let us know.

Respected Contributor

I have JUST been through this.  I am one of the stupid ones who was NOT getting regular mammograms.  I think they are ultra cautious about things.  Only a biopsy is definitive.  It doesn't take long.  They take a few (I think I had 4) samples.  They insert a tiny seed particle to mark the place of the biopsy should further action be needed.  It is a bit sore afterword.  They use a local, and two of my punches were pretty painful temporarily.  Don't mention that - we're all different.

I believe 80% are negative.  Mine was positive for breast cancer, and I am in planning to start chemo.  Bad as that is, had I been getting regular mammograms, it would have been found sooner and could have been less complicated.

Of course you are going to be worried.  My late mother had a saying "don't borrow trouble."  I sure wish I had my mother to go through this with!  They will give her a local, and can give more if she needs more pain control.  They usually do it with ultrasound to guide them to the precise place they need to go.

Love to know her first name so prayers are directed right to her.  I wish I had my mother to hover!!  I hope soon this will be just a bad memory for her and you.

Best to you and her.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva Your "sky is falling" philosophy doesn't help you or her. Projecting your fear on someone who is already scared just makes it worse. Not being harsh, just factual.

YOU are the mom and need to be strong for her. Fall apart on your own time but you NEED to be calm and optimistic for both your sakes.You can look online for relaxation techniques.  Please do so. It will help.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle 

I had all that first.  If there is something they cannot absolutely rule out as cancer, the biopsy comes next.

80% are negative, and those are pretty good odds.  I think the prevailing wisdom is "abundance of caution."  I wish I had it all sooner.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I've had a couple of those biopsies.  If the doctor says it's likely nothing then I would believe him.  If he thought otherwise then he'd tell her.  Mine turned out to be cysts with a thick wall.  I've had both needle aspiration and surgery for a lumpectomy.  I can say that having a crown put on a tooth was more painful.

Don't worry until you have to.  Things happen to our bodies when we are in our 40's and have hormonal changes.