Esteemed Contributor

Re: Breast biopsy is cancer

[ Edited ]

@dbanimated wrote:

I had a total hysterectomy by a surgeon that was "one of the best in the country." Then I had 6 rounds of chemo. Afterward a nurse from one of those health centers came to my house around 5 times and gave me the Amgen drug - it was either epogen or neupogen. Then I started to recover - it took one year for me to feel "normal" - and by the 2nd year I was back to myself. I just took one day at a time.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

Wish I could get a response. It's been really hard dealing with this alone. Smiley Sad

I just answered you - below!!!!!!

For you, the hardest part is over (the chemo part) ---- now u should be feeling better each day. I also want to say that I'm also alone --- and I did have a few friends help me out by driving me to the doctors/hospital ---- but, basically, I took care of myself. 

Thanks for sharing your story. I had a total nervous breakdown after diagnosis and treatment. It really wiped me out mentally & I didn't deal with it well. Am slowly getting back to some semblance of normalcy.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ -

Gosh I am so sorry! You went through a lot.

I'm glad you are just beginning to see some light from that dark tunnel of a time.And I hope it just keeps getting a little bit brighter every day!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

Thank you kivah, yes - recent diagnosis.Smiley Sad  Thanks so much for all of the information. May I ask - were you cancer free after surgery, or not until after chemo? Also, may I ask what hospital and doctor you trusted with your health? (Sounds like they were amazing!) 

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@KKJ -

Gosh I am so sorry! You went through a lot.

I'm glad you are just beginning to see some light from that dark tunnel of a time.And I hope it just keeps getting a little bit brighter every day!

Thanks so much, it helps talking with others who've been through it too. A cancer diagnosis is always such a shock, and coping with the fear. It's a struggle not to let yourself be paralyzed by that fear;  ex. any little ache or pain now I panic.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@kivah wrote:

QVCAddiction: I'm 78 yrs young - close to ur age.Two months ago, I spent 6 days in the hospital for massive pain in my abdomen. Turned out it was a bowel blockage from scar tissue. They relieved the problem without surgery. While there, they took a cat scan and it showed a spot on my left lung. I learned to NEVER worry until I have something to worry about. A couple of weeks later, I was referred  to a doctor to check out the spot. The doctor told me that the new equipment sees everything - some things are important and some are not. In 3 months, I'll go back to the doctor to see if there are any changes. And - they'll follow up yearly after that.

I'm a stage 3 Ovarian Cancer Survivor --- 13 years cancer-free!!!!

Most of the time, it's nothing!!!!!

Good Luck.

Sandy in California

Hi kivah, I too am an ovarian cancer survivor.  It was 2 yrs. ago for me and a very scary time. I still go every 3 mo. for checkups.  Can you tell me what your treatment regimen was?  I had to have 6 rounds chemo.

I had a total hysterectomy and 6 rounds of chemo. I had one of the best surgeons in the country - and I thanked him for saving my life. Afterward, a nurse came to my house several times and gave me the Amgen drug - either epogen or neupogen. I went for checkups at the surgeon's office and my primary care doctor for several years. After a couple of years, I was told that I'm cancer-free. I actually didn't believe it - it took me a while longer for it to set in. I just lived my life day-to-day and I really didn't worry about the future. And - I'm still here. 

I still go to my Gyn-Oncologist every 3 mo. and they test my  Ca-125 levels. How often do they test yours?

Respected Contributor

@KKJ 

Hi ...Now I realize why you asked me the question on the other thread....I happened to see you here now. I understand now. It's a very scary journey. I'm so glad you've been ok so far now it's over.Heart I will keep you in my prayers.

It's hard for me to come to this section/topic.... I have my reasons and mean no disrespect to anyone....and really do think of you all..more than you know.

My only sister died in May 2014 from Colon Cancer Stage 4.....was a very sudden thing and she was in great health...and fairly young.....I happened to call her the day she was told...and I was shocked she took my call, as she never really talked to me much....

But she never spoke to me again after that call.....I was a wreck, frantic and loved her...and will not know why she shut me out.

Her entire family shut me out to date....I called every day for those 11 months, wrote/emailed/sent gifts/ecards....but she refused them all... but she spoke to everyone else...

It was her journey/choice.....but it still water colors those around who love them and grew up with them. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

cbrite, so sorry about your sister. I can't imagine how painful that must be. I have a sister I am not close to and I don't really know why. It makes one think about things. I should reach out to her but I don't. One reason is I've been angry with her for not reaching out to me when I was going through my medical crisis. She never called or reached out to me once, and it upset me.  Am probably being selfish and should let it go.

Valued Contributor

I also had Stage 0 (LCIS) breast cancer.  Had a double mastectomy without reconstruction in 2004.. and have never looked back.   I was just so happy to get rid of the whole worrying about what could happen.   You are so fortunate to catch it this early.   It will be gone soon!