Super Contributor

I have to have bilateral breast sonograms every year along with my mammo, due to some abnormal mammos in fthe past.  It is never uncomfortable, just messy with all the gel the sonographer uses.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Zaimee  God bless! You sound like a tough kid though!

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I had one several years ago and don't really remember being bothered by it except that cold gel.  I ended up having to have a biopsy.  The wait for that was excruciating.  It turned out to be a fibroadenoma, nothing to worry about.  The doc told me I had "lumpy breasts" aka fibrocystic breast disease and I could minimize it by eliminating caffeine from my diet.  Yeah, no.

They use warm gel now. My last two breast ultrasounds were with warm gel, as was the one I just had for the entire torso.  I don't do mammos anymore. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I also have dense breat tissue and routinely have an ultrasound following my mammogram.  Just a fact of life.  I just try to grin and bear it.  When I was young and brave (and some would say stupid), I chose completely natural childbirth for my two children.  Now that was pain...

@Zaimee, I am sorry for all you had to endure.  You are a brave survivor, to be admired.  All my best wishes to you.

Super Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 I don't recall the tech putting on a lot of gel, it was just a little bit. Probably because I'm small. Then when she was done, just a quick wipe. 

@LilacTree the gel used on me felt cold. Warm gel sounds nice, maybe next time it will be like that.

Trusted Contributor
@Zaimee

I'm sending you prayers & lots of hugs.❤
You got this!👍
Valued Contributor

Thanks you for your comments. I am a survivor but when you think of the alternative....

We, women, have to be strong. Do you think men could endure periods, mammograms, childbirth,natural or caesarean? ( had both)

I know not. My husband is an admitted hypochondriac. He has been very supportive of my ordeals and says he could never have been a woman!

Valued Contributor

Re: Breast Ultrasound

[ Edited ]

@Zaimee wrote:

Thanks you for your comments. I am a survivor but when you think of the alternative....

We, women, have to be strong. Do you think men could endure periods, mammograms, childbirth,natural or caesarean? ( had both)

I know not. My husband is an admitted hypochondriac. He has been very supportive of my ordeals and says he could never have been a woman!

ZAIMEE  ❤️    I'm so sorry for all you have been through. As a 5 year cancer survivor I know how tough the journey can be. Stay strong . Sending hugs and prayers your way! Em

Trusted Contributor

I can no longer have mammos, so I do annual ultrasounds. For me the 8 photos needed for my mammos made it a very painful test. Ultrasound is a walk in the park, but that’s just me.  However I know ultrasound does not replace a mammogram when it comes to finding early cancer. Mammogram is the golden screening test for breast cancer. I’ve also had breast MRI’s, another easy painless test. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just had it done last week my annual mamo and breast ultrasound.  My doctor has had me doing the ultrasound in addition to the mamo for the past ten years because my breast are dense.  I don't know which is worse the mamo or the ultrasound but I just grit my teeth and bear it since it's the best source for early detection.