Frequent Contributor

Breast Implant Illness (BII) It's A Real Thing!

Something to think about for any of you with breast implants who may be sick, or are in pain with no explanation, and no results after many Dr. visits.

I have been healthy my entire life, until about 5 years ago when my health started to decline. I have only recently been made aware of the side effects of having breast implants. Side effects including auto immune disease, cancer, extreme fatigue, inflammation throughout your body, weight gain, brain fog, vertigo, panic attacks, skin problems, pain throughout the body among MANY other adverse effects.

I've been on a wild goose chase for 5 years trying to figure out what is wrong, with no real answers. I've been told I "might" have MS,(I wasn't tested for MS) I have fibromyalgia, and have been tested for several other diseases (all negative) . A lot of the BII symptoms align with many other auto immune diseases, and Dr.'s aren't looking at implants being the culprit, until now. (THANK GOD) The FDA has recently pulled textured implants off the market, because of all the men/women testing positive for "Associated Large Cell Lymphoma" Not everyone is effected by their implants, but the majority are, at some point.Woman Sad There are so many toxic chemicals used in developing the implants, it's not surprising at all if you think about it.

Please educate yourself on the dangers of breast implants if you're thinking about doing it. A word of wisdom from sombody who has been through the fire, and continues to go through it... do NOT do it. My explant surgery is scheduled for September 6th. Women are saying a lot of their symptoms subside only days after explanting. (looking forward to it)

The only way out, is to have them removed. I'm so grateful to be lucky enough to have found out in time. This isn't to scare or alarm anybody. It's just my experience, and if it helps just one person find the answers, then it's worth posting. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Breast Implant Illness (BII) It's A Real Thing!

@QVCclosetQueen I hope you feel better after your explant (I learned a new work today!)

I have been fuller busted most of my life and have always envied smaller busted women, and could not understand why anyone would want breast implants.  I guess we always want what we don't have.  With all those possible side effects you listed, I would think that would scare anyone away.  I hope your procedure goes well.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCclosetQueen   So sorry to hear about your health issues.  I would be interested in knowing how long you have had your implants and what type they are - saline or silicone?  Having the explant surgery, is that at your expense?  Please keep us posted as to your surgical experience and if you feel better......I hope that you do!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@QVCclosetQueen 

I don't have implants but i'm very sorry you are not feeling well...hope after your surgery you will feel better  and  find out that it was the cause of your illness!

Heart

Please let us know how you are doing after your surgery..

PS

i also have fibro...sighSmiley Sad

Feel better soonHeart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Frequent Contributor

I've been told that the FDA is requiring insurance companies to pay for explant surgery if you test positive for the cancer. Otherwise, it's at your own expense. I think the FDA should be responsible for all implant removal surgeries. It's coming out now that they KNEW of the dangers and sealed the documents from the public. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had mine for 14 years. Mine are saline. My out of pocket expense is $9000.00. Good lord, I can think of a LOT of other things I'd rather  pay for with this money. 

Super Contributor

Hmmmm. Very interesting. I have a silicone implant from reconstructive surgery after breast cancer 25 years ago. I have not had one bit of a problem.

When I went to the plastic surgeon to reconstruct my breast he assured me the silicone was safe and put me in a 5 year study to help substantiate the proof.

I’m not saying that what you are experiencing isn’t true, I only want to give another perspective.

Many bc patients are being reconstructed with breast implants. I know of quite a few. I chose the silicone because it feels like my real breast and since I was only 40 at the time, that was important to me, plus I trusted my doctor.

I had it switched out about 5 years ago. The original one had gotten a little hard. There’s a name for it but I forgot. This new one, so far, is perfect. I’m not sure what the future holds with replacing it again.

Anyway I wish you a very speedy and complete recovery on this journey.
Frequent Contributor

Oh I'm so glad for you and your experience. It certainly doesn't effect all people the same. The list of carcinogens that make up the implant are considered "toxic" per the FDA. However when it's in the form of an implant, it's "safe"? 

I guess it's like smoking, we all know what it causes. However, not everybody get's cancer from smoking? Make sense?

I wish you continued luck with yours.Heart You have been through enough without having to deal with this as well. A lot of breast cancer survivors are choosing to remove them because of the risk.

Thank you for your input.  I wish you well hon... :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCclosetQueen wrote:

Something to think about for any of you with breast implants who may be sick, or are in pain with no explanation, and no results after many Dr. visits.

I have been healthy my entire life, until about 5 years ago when my health started to decline. I have only recently been made aware of the side effects of having breast implants. Side effects including auto immune disease, cancer, extreme fatigue, inflammation throughout your body, weight gain, brain fog, vertigo, panic attacks, skin problems, pain throughout the body among MANY other adverse effects.

I've been on a wild goose chase for 5 years trying to figure out what is wrong, with no real answers. I've been told I "might" have MS,(I wasn't tested for MS) I have fibromyalgia, and have been tested for several other diseases (all negative) . A lot of the BII symptoms align with many other auto immune diseases, and Dr.'s aren't looking at implants being the culprit, until now. (THANK GOD) The FDA has recently pulled textured implants off the market, because of all the men/women testing positive for "Associated Large Cell Lymphoma" Not everyone is effected by their implants, but the majority are, at some point.Woman Sad There are so many toxic chemicals used in developing the implants, it's not surprising at all if you think about it.

Please educate yourself on the dangers of breast implants if you're thinking about doing it. A word of wisdom from sombody who has been through the fire, and continues to go through it... do NOT do it. My explant surgery is scheduled for September 6th. Women are saying a lot of their symptoms subside only days after explanting. (looking forward to it)

The only way out, is to have them removed. I'm so grateful to be lucky enough to have found out in time. This isn't to scare or alarm anybody. It's just my experience, and if it helps just one person find the answers, then it's worth posting. Heart

I learned about the dangers of breast implants years ago when I visited a plastic surgeon! He told me about the toxicity of leaking silicone, etc. I met a friend that had them and she was very ill..that was enough for me. 

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCclosetQueen wrote:

I have had mine for 14 years. Mine are saline. My out of pocket expense is $9000.00. Good lord, I can think of a LOT of other things I'd rather  pay for with this money. 

Are you also getting a breast lift done after they remove the implants?

I have had mine 15yrs...they are not textured and at that time only saline was considered "safe".  I regret doing this optional cosmetic surgery...and when I tell this to my gyno she always says it would look really bad having them removed and I would need to have them replaced.  I dread having any surgery to do anything....but I know one day I will have to do something about these as they don't last forever at least that's what I heard and I have slight "encapsulation" happening in one which from what I understand over time happens to most all women at some point...the body wants to make scar tissue.