Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

If we thought we had the definitive answer about all of this, the labs would have all closed long ago and diabetes and cancer would no longer exist.   

Oh my goodness.

What you don’t know about the business of Pharmaceutical is a lot.

And yes, I am on a diet which serves me well for a long happy life.

Wish everyone else would do the same. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think that one reason we hear so much about Breast cancer today is that cancer will spread and you may die from cancer in the liver......but it is still Breast Cancer that has matastasized to other areas of the body.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I think that one reason we hear so much about Breast cancer today is that cancer will spread and you may die from cancer in the liver......but it is still Breast Cancer that has matastasized to other areas of the body.

I had a friend who this happened to as well, several years later. It is baffling to me that you can have clear scans for years and then, boom, its seems to have spread and nothing can be done. So very sad.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  The National Certification Board for Pharmacy would disagree with you.  I display my licensures proudly because I worked very hard for it.    

Bottom line:  Don't stop learning!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer!

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree, my best friend’s mother was just diagnosed.  She is in her early 80’s.  My BF says, after reading about BC, that women plus 70 are most likely to get breast cancer.   LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer!

[ Edited ]

@gmkb wrote:

There are different types of breast cancer.  One is lobular, which primarily affects women over 60 and is not detected on mammograms.  Also it does not present as a lump..  By the time it is detected it has already advanced to the lymph nodes.  No one in the medical profession ever mentions this to women.  In spite of yearly mammograms and breast checks some of us get caught in this web, which makes it more difficult to treat.

I have never even heard about that type of cancer. It's hard to believe doctor's do not discuss this with women over 60 and make sure they have the proper tests that will detect that type of breast cancer. I certainly will ask my doc about lobular breast cancer and see what the deal is. There must be a reason why this is not being discussed and I hope it isn't money.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

There are different types of breast cancer.  One is lobular, which primarily affects women over 60 and is not detected on mammograms.  Also it does not present as a lump..  By the time it is detected it has already advanced to the lymph nodes.  No one in the medical profession ever mentions this to women.  In spite of yearly mammograms and breast checks some of us get caught in this web, which makes it more difficult to treat.

I have never even heard about that type of cancer. It's hard to believe doctor's do not discuss this with women over 60 and make sure they have the proper tests that will detect that type of breast cancer. I certainly will ask my doc about lobular breast cancer and see what the deal is. There must be a reason why this is not being discussed and I hope it isn't money.

@blackhole99, there are symptoms or signs of this type of breast cancer, just like there are symptoms and signs of inflammatory breast cancer, which is called the no lump breast cancer.  They can be detected on a mammogram but sometimes they are missed.

It's important to know your breasts and if there are changes, see your physician.  You can look up the symptoms of lobular breast cancer and you will see what to look for.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@sidsmom   That comment shows you have no idea what scientific research on a brand new theory on a neurological disease even entails.  

I really do hope you truly are on a diet that serves you well for a long and a happy life. 

Not that you have an interest, but my cholesterol was very high a decade ago.  I cut out every fat I knew because that's what the experts including you said to do.  It didn't change a thing. 

Then I saw Dr. Oz, a heart surgeon, do a segment on cholesterol teaching me what it does and why it does it and why the body makes it.  It basically patches up your arteries after you scratch them to death with sugar.  So I did the common sense thing and stopped sugar.

I haven't had a problem with cholesterol since. 

More importantly, I have not closed myself off to learning and being smart about it.  I want to see clinically proven results and theories and when I find one I pay attention and potentially revise my thinking because in the words of Maya, 'When you know better you do better."

Our ancestors lived in a very different world including one that they thought was flat.  Take it all into account and don't discount your intelligence or those of others in figuring it all out.  If we thought we had the definitive answer about all of this, the labs would have all closed long ago and diabetes and cancer would no longer exist.   

@Laura14, remember back in I think the 90's when the low fat/no fat diet was the thing to do and everyone pretty much just got fatter.  Why?  Because companies replaced the fat with sugar. 

I am convinced the real culprit in bad health is sugar.       

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Me too!

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@sidsmom  The National Certification Board for Pharmacy would disagree with you.  I display my licensures proudly because I worked very hard for it.    

Bottom line:  Don't stop learning!

Research continues and new theories are proven!  They "practice Medicine" to ever keep learning so you can live a better life.  Proud of you @Laura14.