Esteemed Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer!

[ Edited ]

@luvdoodles  I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  Prayers for your comfort and recovery.  Wish there was more that I could do.  (((((luvdoodles))))) Hugs!

When I went through my episode, several on this board "held my hand" all of the way.  I am so grateful for their support!  

Honored Contributor

It seems like the only cancer I ever hear about is breast cancer.  It certainly seems to have the most money in research.  You can't walk into a store without seeing items for sale with the pink ribbon on them, claiming a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the item go to breast cancer research.

Who knows what to believe anymore with breast cancer and the screening methods for it.  Some doctors believe a mammogram is the best screening tool and others think thermography is the best.  My gyno said the research on thermography wasn't as promising as they had hoped and doesn't recommend it at all.  Other doctors recommend it in conjunction with a mammogram.  A good friend of mine went to have genetic testing done and was told mammograms miss a lot of breast cancer. 

I think one of the best things we can do is see a doctor if we think something is wrong and push for further testing or a second opinion if you aren't happy.  My sister's co-worker found a lump at the age of 27 and her doctor wasn't going to do anything about it because at her age, it was "more than likely" nothing.  It turned out to be BC and she passed away a year later from it.

I lost a friend at the age of 29 to Inflammatory Breast Cancer which is also another no lump breast cancer and my sister had breast cancer and never had a lump.  I think it is important to arm yourself with the best information you can from a reputable source because you can go on-line and find 100 a different articles are symptoms and signs of BC and they will have conflicting information.             

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@sidsmom  I've seen you post this many times.  I applaud nutrition as the first defense against most of our health issues today but one diet fitting all I disagree with. 

I am strong supporter of fat (monounsaturated fats).  Your brain is mostly fat and should not be starved of the right kind. I don't think dementia is preferable to cancer.

And cholesterol in the right amounts is absolutely necessary for your body's health.  Cholesterol actually plasters your arteries after they've been scratched to bits usually by the sugars we eat.  Drop the sugar not the fat and watch your levels come down significantly if this a concern.    

@Laura14

The brain runs on glucose...not fat!

Just because it’s made of fatty tissue doesn’t equate fat is the fuel.

Fat causes insulin resistance & inflammation.

The PB world has been talking about Type 3 Diabetes for some time

but expect to hear more & more about it. We can reverse those

symptoms with just diet alone.  Fat slows blood flow everywhere...

including the brain. 

Yes, processed sugars are not to be ignored but 

fat is a much, much greater cause of concern with our health.

Our body produces the cholesterol it needs without adding 

15-20-30-40% animal fat to our meals on a daily basis. 

We are doing so much harm to ourselves with the SAD diet.

Sad thing...the Public believe these lies the 

meat/dairy/egg/oil industries tell us on a consistent basis...

and we have the growing #s of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, etc

to support that fact.

Reduce the Fat + Increase the Plants = Reduce the Inflammation

Low Fat Whole Foods Plant Based for Health.

Type 3 diabetes is a term used when Alzheimer’s disease is triggered by insulin resistance in the brain. This condition is most often used to describe people who have type 2 diabetes and are also diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom  Correction. 

The brain utilizes glucose because it is the most readily available in most people because of the SAD diet. And because it is using sugar, that is where the Alzheimer's or diabetes of the brain comes in because you are degrading your body wherever sugar runs through it.  

Your brain actually does much better on ketones which are produced by the liver from fat.  It is this diet (low carb and high monounsaturated fat) which has been very recently clinically proven to reduce the symptoms of Alzheimers. 

What you are putting forth is older science which unfortunately is not holding up with the more recent clinical and peer reviewed studies about carbohydrates and how they interact with our bodies.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that if anyone "really knew" the answer, we would not be having this discussion. 

There is not one single answer. 

All of us have a different makeup of cells and have different requirements to keep our bodies healthy.

Esteemed Contributor

My young cousin, she had just turned 34 died from breast cancer a few years back. I remember her drs had told her it was a very aggressive form.

A friend was dxd with stage 3 about 5 years ago. She is ok. She had found a lump and her elderly gynocologist had told her he didn't think it was anything to worry about. He was wrong. Please get a second opinion, ladies, if you have anything that is questionable. The Drs. are not God and do not know everything, even if they think they do.

And I called to set up my mammo apointment a few weeks ago, they asked me if I wanted to get 3D, I think they called it, said it showed more, but my insurance may not pay for it. I asked how much more it would be, and I think she said $100. I told her that would be fine, I thought it would be a good idea.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@sidsmom  Correction. 

What you are putting forth is older science which unfortunately is not holding up with the more recent clinical and peer reviewed studies about carbohydrates and how they interact with our bodies.

It’s not ‘older science’.....it’s Human 101.

Humans, in many different cultures, have been eating a

low fat plant based diet for millennium...and surviving quite well.

But hey, if one wants to “stick their hand in that box of snakes”

(read: low carbohydrate, high fat diet), go for it.

It’s a shame by the time cognitive issues begin to show up,

people won’t do anything about it...and will get progressively get worse.

”Nothing we can do....”

Yes, there is.  It’s a choice.

And with cancer?

Yes, we are empowered to do something.

We do have the answers right in front of us. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about in regards to cognitive health and a low fat diet.  It's the complete opposite recommendation of the leading experts in Alzheimer's research today.  And this is a subject I am extremely well versed in and have recently read up on and continue to learn about including a seminar today. 

If you really want to know the current theories on brain health, Dr. Bredesen, Dr. Perlmutter, Dr. Amen, Dr. Gundry... get off the carbs and "food exists to put olive oil in your mouth."   

Dr. Bredesen has clinical research since 2012 showing he is actually reversing the symptoms of dementia with a ketoflex (low carb, high monounsaturated fat diet).  FACT.    Why?  because they have found the brain works better on ketones which come from fat rather than glucose which comes from carbs.  There are a myriad of other factors and much more to his protocol but that's his main diet and it works.

You're entitled to your opinion but please open your mind to know that theories change as we learn more about what causes different diseases.  Don't be afraid to at least do your own research especially when a scientist  has literal proof that the new way is working.  You may actually save your life or in this case your mind.    

Honored Contributor

2012?  That’s the best research timeline one can cite?

Unfortunately, low fat plant based is what my ancestors ate to

continue my lineage so I’ll stick with that dietary protocol, thank you.

And yes, I have done my own research. 

Hopefully you can learn about this dietary protocol 

before it’s too late to affect any of your loved ones.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   That comment shows you have no idea what scientific research on a brand new theory on a neurological disease even entails.  

I really do hope you truly are on a diet that serves you well for a long and a happy life. 

Not that you have an interest, but my cholesterol was very high a decade ago.  I cut out every fat I knew because that's what the experts including you said to do.  It didn't change a thing. 

Then I saw Dr. Oz, a heart surgeon, do a segment on cholesterol teaching me what it does and why it does it and why the body makes it.  It basically patches up your arteries after you scratch them to death with sugar.  So I did the common sense thing and stopped sugar.

I haven't had a problem with cholesterol since. 

More importantly, I have not closed myself off to learning and being smart about it.  I want to see clinically proven results and theories and when I find one I pay attention and potentially revise my thinking because in the words of Maya, 'When you know better you do better."

Our ancestors lived in a very different world including one that they thought was flat.  Take it all into account and don't discount your intelligence or those of others in figuring it all out.  If we thought we had the definitive answer about all of this, the labs would have all closed long ago and diabetes and cancer would no longer exist.