Valued Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

Please have it checked out asap.  I do not want to scare you -- but having had breast cancer I know how important early detection is.  There can be many causes for your rash.  Unfortunately one is IBC -- Inflammatory Breast Cancer.  Many people do not even know about it.  A friend's mother had it years ago -- was diagnosed early -- and is fine.  Believe me -- I know very well how scary symptoms can be.  IBC is not common -- but PLEASE get it ruled out as soon as you can.

"You may not associate breast cancer with redness or a skin rash, but in the case of inflammatory breast cancer (IBC), a rash is an early symptom. This is an aggressive form of breast cancer that affects the skin and lymph vessels of the breast. Unlike other types of breast cancer, IBC doesn’t usually cause lumps. However, your breasts may become swollen, warm, and appear red. The rash may resemble clusters of insect bites, and it’s not unusual to have itchiness."

Judy,

I couldn't agree with you more.    Several years ago I read an article about IBC and about a week later developed a rash on one breast.  I had just had my yearly mammo but oftentimes IBC doesn't not appear on a mammo. I immediately called my gyno and was told to go right in.  It was a Friday and they were about to close for the weekend but they waited for me. He took one look and said it was NOT IBC but an infection.  I told him that the article I read said that many doctors do not recognize it and he said that was true but he was one of the physicians teaching other doctors to recognize the signs.  The relief was immense.  The OP needs to have this checked out sooner rather than later.  Instead of being on these boards, she should be on the phone with her doctor. I understand people are scared and come here looking for reassurance but th only reassurance one can get is from a physician.  I wish her the best of heath and hope it's nothing more than an infection like I had..  And to you, dear,Judy, may you have continued good health.  docsgirl

Valued Contributor

My apologies to the OP as I did not realize she has an appointment with her doctor.  
Good move on her part. No sense trying to guess what it might be. I will pray for a good report.  docsgirl

Frequent Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer

[ Edited ]

"Know Your Lemons" is a chart that shows what different types of breast cancer look like on the skin surface using lemons to represent the breast. You might find it useful.

It's the older chart and the new 2017 updated version.

https://www.worldwidebreastcancer.org/blog/12-signs-of-breast-cancer-steps-for-detection-and-self-ex...

Honored Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer

[ Edited ]

@Cardinals97 wrote:

Has anyone developed a rash on only one breast?  I am imagining all kinds of bad things!

@Cardinals97

Quit imagining and let your doctor do the diagnosing. ASAP!

hn

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Slainte wrote:

"Know Your Lemons" is a chart that shows what different types of breast cancer look like on the skin surface using lemons to represent the breast. You might find it useful.

It's the older chart and the new 2017 updated version.

https://www.worldwidebreastcancer.org/blog/12-signs-of-breast-cancer-steps-for-detection-and-self-ex...

Excellent link, @Slainte.

Clear, easy to understand, worth passing on.

Thank you!

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I have.   Several years ago I developed a rash on the upper portion of my left breast.  I imagined the worst too as I am an older lady.  I promptly made a Drs. appt. and he told me I had a case of the shingles.   I was so  relieved.  Perhaps you might feel better if you made an appt. too.  Good luck. 

Occasional Contributor

YES!!  The rash is Shingles!  Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations, @Cardinals97.  This is one those rare times when it's far better to have shingles!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett