Honored Contributor

Many women like me have density that the technology even 3D can not really give a good look at.  As a result, our "screenings" are not as thorough.  We get called back constantly, scared to death every year with our savings accounts drained only to be told well we don't think it's anything to be concerned about because we really can't see but keep coming back and we'll keep looking.  

It's amazing to me with all of the power this particular cause has behind it, making insurance companies cover the appropriate screening technology for our particular breast type and not just this one technology fits all approach (which it does not) is beyond puzzling to me.  

Moral of the story:  Women like me potentially stop going because they can't see anyway and we can't afford the callbacks anymore.  

Honored Contributor

My friend's sister in law passed last year from it.  She was first diagnosed 10 years ago and was treated for it.  It went into remission and stayed there until it came back.  When it did it came back with a vengeance...it spread very quickly and she was gone in a matter of months. 

I was shocked since I had seen her only a short time before looking great!

It makes you wonder though what causes it and what one can do for prevention.  There is a lot out there about early detection but prevention practices would be even better.

Honored Contributor

The prevention is out there...but women don’t want to change

dietary habits. They’ll get diagnosed, go through painful surgery &

chemo and continually worry for the rest of the life when it will

show up again...all without even considering changing the

food/drink which enters the body.

Dairy & Cholesterol should be the first things to change.  

That means a plant-based diet. Not vegetarian but plant based.

All this information is available to anyone free of cost.

Why wouldn’t you choose this? 

FB60703D-417C-48D0-B547-9A78B39F9E0E.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Olivia Newton John had a dietitian and a personal trainer and was in great physical shape, yet she has cancer for the 2nd time!

My Oncologist does not agree with this article at all.  All of these things may help your general health but I don't believe they will totally prevent cancer.  Wish I was wrong!

Honored Contributor

Back when the 'the pill' was heavily used back in the '60s with higher concentrations of estrogen, has been a topic of debate for a long time regarding it's potential cause of breast cancer. My mother would fall into this category of women who took the pill back then and took it for a very long time.  I can't help but think that was the cause of her BC but how do you prove it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer!

[ Edited ]

Being a 6 year breast cancer survivor, I am very encouraged by the many advances that have been made in the 6 years since I was dx. And yes, seems like you can't NOT know someone who was /has/died  a cancer patient. I had 3 male friends die in the last 6 years from various forms of cancer and one who beat it and one who is terminal. I'm sure diet can help but even the most disciplined, health conscience person with no cancer in the family, can get it. It's a cr*ap shoot-----You need to be vigilant all the time and act on it immediatley. 

Honored Contributor

I think cancer in general has been here all along, not any more or less of it than in years gone by. However, what has changed is our ability to detect it. So the picture of cancer becomes larger in that respect and makes cancer appear more common than before.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Back when the 'the pill' was heavily used back in the '60s with higher concentrations of estrogen, has been a topic of debate for a long time regarding it's potential cause of breast cancer. My mother would fall into this category of women who took the pill back then and took it for a very long time.  I can't help but think that was the cause of her BC but how do you prove it?

Sorry about the loss of your mother.  Always difficult to accept.

I took the pill when they were stronger also and for a very long time.  My health is very good.  I was told that the older you get the greater your chances of BC.  Pill or no pill.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think cancer in general has been here all along, not any more or less of it than in years gone by. However, what has changed is our ability to detect it. So the picture of cancer becomes larger in that respect and makes cancer appear more common than before.

My Oncologist told me that cancer is such a difficult disease to conquer because it is not "caused by, it is your own cells that have gone haywire.  

I have often thought that cancer is much like allergies.  Why does milk make my sinuses stop up but it will make you break out in a rash, and make some unable to breathe???????

Same substance, different reactions!

Honored Contributor

Cancer as well as allergies have everything to do with the immune system and everyone's immunity is something that comes with you when you are born. How well you take care of it throughout your life can affect how well your immune system will work. But sometimes people are born with damaged ones from the start and some people are born with healthy immune systems that somehow get damaged and cannot repair itself. This 'repair' mechanism is of much interest in the field of cancer research. What makes one person have the ability to recover and the next person die from illness or cancer? I believe this all goes back to our immune system and the genetics/biochemisty behind it.