Honored Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer Diagnosis Based on Mammo?

My co-worker's gyn called her on her cell phone while she was driving home from work and told her she had cancer. She almost wrecked her car. She had to pull over on the highway and have her husband come and get her. She couldn't drive.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

My aunt has bc and just had the lump taken out. Before the biopsy her doctor told her he was pretty sure it was cancer. Yes they dont know for sure but they can tell when they think the lump is more likely to be cancer.
Honored Contributor

I'm sure he knew just from looking at the mammo. They still need to confirm with a biopsy.
Honored Contributor

Years and years ago, a relative of mine had a tumor removed from her kidney. They sent it to pathology and the doctor told the family that he could tell by the tumor, the way it looked and felt, that it was a malignancy. The results came back negative.

Valued Contributor

In March I was called back before I had even gotten home from my yearly mammo. I went back for the compression mammo and was told within 10 minutes I would need a stereotactic (sp) biopsy due to micro calcifications.

When I had the biopsy I asked the Radiologist what his impression was and he told me, more or less we would have to wait for the pathology report.

I'm so sorry your friend is going through this. Please let us know. I had no malignancy, but the waiting is so difficult...

Honored Contributor

From what I understand scattered calcifications are a sign that there is no cancer. When they are all clumped together in one area is when there is usually trouble. My friend has had them scattered on her mamms for the last 20 years and no issues. I hope this proves to be her case as well.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/12/2014 LipstickDiva said:

kjohnson, it is the doctor who performed the biopsy who told her the diagnosis based on the mammo she was seeing.

Unless the doctor performing the biopsy is the primary oncologist, that's even worse. I had no interaction with the biopsy doctor outside of the procedures. All communication was through my oncologist who tried to keep me as positive with the biopsy procedures as possible. I had 2... a needle and a core.

And I got the call with the news about the core biopsy at work. Thankfully I went outside to take the call...back corner of the building. That way when a sat on the ground in shock, no one really saw me. Took about an hour before I felt safe enough to drive myself home.

Trusted Contributor

I'm betting that (as the doctor said) the mammogram showed characteristics unfailingly indicative of cancer, and that the biopsy will confirm the doctor's assessment. If the biopsy doesn't show cancer, you and your friend have reason to take issue, but I imagine the doctor saw overwhelming indicators of cancer and was simply being as straight as she could be with your friend. I wouldn't call her assessment a "diagnosis"; that would need to be finalized by the pathologist's assessment of the biopsy sample.....and the doctor moved right ahead with the appropriate and necessary next step -- a biopsy. The doctor's statement was probably more a strong impression based on the doctor's experience, with the intention of preparing your friend. I'd suggest you wait and see what the biopsy shows and what the final diagnosis is. Of course, you hope the best for your friend.

And I wish your friend grace, courage, and if there is a malignancy, a full recovery.

Respected Contributor

My mamo showed something suspicious and I was referred to a surgeon for a biopsy. While being prepped for surgery the radiologist told me that images like mine were usually cancer. The biopsy confirmed that it was.

Honored Contributor

My dear friend is presently receiving chemo (don't know the stage). I know she was sent to an oncologist the same day she had the mammo. She has responded extremely well to her treatment so far, but she was truly blessed, since she knew there was a lump but put off having treatment for several weeks after fnding it.