Respected Contributor

Brand New Guidelines for PCR Testing from the WHO

On January 20th, 2021, the WHO posted new guidelines to reduce the number of false positives occurring from PCR tests.  I am posting this here so no one will be surprised if a 2nd test is determined to be necessary for them after they have received a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result. Here are the new rules:

https://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-2021-who-information-notice-for-ivd-users-2020-05

Honored Contributor

Re: Brand New Guidelines for PCR Testing from the WHO

I'd rather have a false positive than a false negative. 

False negatives are giving people a sense of security then they go and unknowingly spread the virus. Testing needs to be more accurate and more precise....the science is still lacking.

Honored Contributor

The WHO? I steer away from anything they have to say. Once they showed me who the WHO really is all about, no thanks. I'll ask 1 of our felines.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

The WHO? I steer away from anything they have to say. Once they showed me who the WHO really is all about, no thanks. I'll ask 1 of our felines.

hckynut 

Please then include the United States of America on your list to stay away from, with over 450,000 dead in almost 25,000,000 cases, our credibility is much worse these days.

Here's a few things the WHO accomplished while you were not noticing them:    The WHO has played a leading role in several public health achievements, most notably the eradication of smallpox, the near-eradication of polio, and the development of an Ebola vaccine. Its current priorities include communicable diseases, particularly HIV/AIDS, Ebola, malaria and tuberculosis; non-communicable diseases such as heart disease and cancer; healthy diet, nutrition, and food security; occupational health; and substance abuse.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

The WHO? ... I'll ask 1 of our felines.

hckynut 

I just asked my cat about PCR testing and he blinked at me.

I think that means he advises me to consult the WHO and CDC so I can follow the latest safety guidelines. In order to survive and not catch Covid, which could interrupt the timeliness of his treats. He is in favor of me remaining healthy so he is not inconvenienced foodwise and lapwise.

So now we have one of the nation's foremost experts we can all trust weighing in--in FAVOR of paying attention to the stats and guidelines from the WHO and CDC. Breaking expert news report from the field, signing off. Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

And here's a new one from the CDC, according to the NYTimes:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has quietly changed its recommendations for coronavirus immunizations to allow patients to switch the authorized vaccines between the first and second doses in “exceptional situations,” and to extend the interval between doses to six weeks, even though such changes have not been studied in large clinical trials."

By way of defining "exceptional situations," the CDC's website says:

"In exceptional situations in which the first-dose vaccine product cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series. If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time."

Wonder whether this will change if/when the single-dose J&J becomes available. Another CDC coin flip.

This kind of thing is why people scoff at the admonition to "trust science."

WHO doesn't inspire confidence either. 

Fortunately, I have cats. Information problem solved. 

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has quietly changed its recommendations for coronavirus immunizations to allow patients to switch the authorized vaccines between the first and second doses in “exceptional situations,” and to extend the interval between doses to six weeks, even though such changes have not been studied in large clinical trials."

"In exceptional situations in which the first-dose vaccine product cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series. If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time."

Wonder whether this will change if/when the single-dose J&J becomes available. Another CDC coin flip.

I always trust science..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I always trust science..

If scientist had no biases I would trust them but they do.  I just heard that some strains of the virus may not be stopped by the vaccines currently out. This virus is too new to believe anyone knows everything there is to know about it. 

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I always trust science..

Goody for you. What I quoted isn't "science," it's a wet finger in the wind.

I am unhappy that the sources we're supposed to be able to rely on for good information and sound, scientifically based decison-making aren't delivering. I don't understand why anyone would defend this kind of nonsense. They behave as if they're completely unaccountable. It's deeply disgusting.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

I always trust science..

@noodleann 

Where did you get the idea that the CDC is not providing scientifically based sound medical advice? I assume your opinions are based on something outside yourself. Right now what you've said here sounds to me similar to someone saying ESPN is lying to them because last week they provided different sports scores than they did this week, ignoring the reasons for it.

Getting every willing person vaccinated is the goal right now. If you get one brand vaccination for you first shot, they are saying it's okay to get a different brand for your second shot if that's the only kind available. That's really great news and adds flexibility to get this done.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr