Respected Contributor

Re: Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar for Acid Reflux

Slainte, thank you for the book recommendation and the article.  

Two of the books that really helped me are The Acid Reflux Solution by Jorge E. Rodriguez, MD and Dropping Acid The Reflux Diet Cookbook and Cure by Jamie Kaufman, MD and Jordan Stern MD.

These as two books have been a blessing for me and helped me get off prescription Omeprazole.  I have also lost weight which helped.  

It it was hard at first to restrict my diet but now, after feeling so much better and losing some weight I am so glad to eat this way for life.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I had severe acid reflux for years and tried all the natural cures which did not work for me. I took OTC meds for years which worked for me, but I too wanted to get off the meds., I took Nexium. I weaned myself off the Nexium and stopped drinking wine and don't eat any thing greasy or too rich. I've been acid reflux free for over a year and hopefully will not have to deal with it again. Hope you get relief. 

Super Contributor

Yes! Several years ago I was diagnosed with GERD.  I was put on Nexium which at the time was about $10.00 a pill. I did research and started drinking a teaspoon of Braggs in 8 oz of water every morning. In the the evening I would drink about 2 oz of Aloe Vera juice. Within about 2 weeks I stopped the Nexium and was fine. At my next Drs visit he asked me how I was doing and I told him I stopped the Nexium. He was shocked. I guess he just expected that I would be on it indefinetly. I keep Bragg's in my kitchen cabinet all the time now and my digestive system is happy. I only use the Aoe Vera Juice on an as needed basis now.

Honored Contributor

DH has been mixing some with water & downing it every day. I'm not sure how much each he uses. Since he has been doing that he has not been eating the Tums. He always had indigestion not acid reflux.

I had that several times. Mine woke me up after I went to bed. Felt like a hole being burned thru my throat. I started taking probiotics & digestive enzymes. I also don't eat after 6 PM. No more problems. I have since stopped the probiotics & still no problems. Hope it stays that way. 

Honored Contributor

It seems one alkaline/acidic food list is totally different from the next.

It's hard to figure out which is the best list to go by.  Granted all lists show things like alcohol and coffee and fried foods as no no's but there's a lot of grey areas, too.  Can be confusing to discouraging.  Whose list do you believe?

Instead of trying the braggs (which burns my throat just thinking about it!), I would consult a GI doctor.  Have him do an endoscopy.  As others have said and colonoscopy/endoscopy at the same time is a good idea.

Just to get a good view of what's going on.  For piece of mind.

There is a condition called 'silent reflux', and you may think you've overcome your GERD, but you haven't.  You don't want to assume a home remedy will do the trick of a very tricky problem.

It could become a big problem.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't it be easier to figure out the cause of

acid reflux?  Greater than zero chance,

dietary changes will yield less issues.