Frequent Contributor

Re: Bra recommendation during breast radiation

I also wore the Genie bras after lumpectomy and during radiation.  They are soft, comfortable, and affordable.  At one point I remember putting a tissue over the ointment/burn site because the seam was rubbing, but found the Genie to be the most comfortable while sleeping to keep my breast from falling to the side and stretching the stitches.  I pulled them up like panties to avoid stretching my arms over my head.

Good luck to your friend.  Early detection is key for everyone.  And thank you for being such a good friend!

Regular Contributor

Maestra has some good ideas..... My radiation treaments were in the fall and ended 2 days before Christmas2002. I had burns too - they say sensitive skin and due to the fact I had bilateral radiation. My oncologist alternated the concentrated radiation with the other radiation to try to minimize the burns - and the itching. I worked two long days each week and went back to work after going to the hospital for treatments on those days. Everyone feels different.

As for what did I wear? my bra over a turtleneck(cotton) and regular sweater(crew neck or v neck). this is a tough time of the year to do that depending on where you leave - My burning caused itching for which I tried a number of things and ended up using Gold Bond medicated powder.

Now I am headed for a complete hysterectomy - fifteen years older - so I am worried.........

But to the gal headed for radiation - you will do fine. Just take care of yourself.

Honored Contributor

Different ladies experience with radiation will vary because some - like me - it was just preventative. No + lymph nodes. However for some others it can be more difficult if they have a worse diagnosis. Some ladies just lumpectomy - some mastectomy but also radiation.And some have chemo & radiation after mastectomies. The point I'm trying to make is that how much discomfort there will be is different for everyone & how it is dealt with will also vary by individual.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I second Rhonda Shear. Her bras are very soft inside and they are silky. You can get them without added padding

Super Contributor

What a great friend you are to try to help at this rough time! I had the same treatment (lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation) this time of year, eleven years ago. After a couple sessions of radiation I found I could not tolerate any bra, so I wore soft tank tops/ camisoles instead. Sometimes I would layer two of them for extra coverage. They are cheaper than bras. Whatever she wears they do get stained from all the lotions used so a few weeks after radiation was done I was able to go back to wearing bras and just threw away the camisoles. Best of luck to your friend. (Another tip is to make sure she stays hydrated and drinks a lot of water.)

Respected Contributor

@Theresa1121  Walmart has a line of Warners cotton bras that have no underwire and are very soft, as well as reasonably priced.

Mastectomy bras can run easily $50.00+.

If I had to do it over again (I hope never), this is the route I would take.

I would like to purchase these for everyday during the intense Southern summers, but my size isnt carried (I'm too big-ugh!).

Respected Contributor

For the most part, I wore my black lace underwire bra . It was comfortable but my surgery and radiation was on the upper breast and the sentinel node was clear so the fabric barely touched the skin.

The skin healed fast and feels good now. Hugs to all my fellow warrior sisters.🎀💓💖💘💝💞💕

Valued Contributor

Thank you ALL for sharing your stories and all suggestions much appreciated.  I was shopping today and did buy her a very soft camisole that is a bit silky and not too thin so may offer some support. I also ordered her Miaderm cream which is what my husband used when having neck radiation. It is natural and the doctor amazed no burns or irritation during his 6 weeks of radiation. I will check our the Genie bras and those on HSN to try to find something cost friendly.

Best wishes for continued good health for all the cancer warriors!

Trusted Contributor

To all "warriors" check with insurance and NORDSTROMs.  It used to be insurance and Medicare helped pay for and Nordies billed the insurance for the bras.---------------tedEbear

Valued Contributor

I wore Bali soft stretch wireless bras after my lumpectomy and while going through and after my 33 radiation treatments. I burned very badly from the radiation and found putting thin flannel baby burp cloths tucked under and over my breast helped relieve all the irritation from my burns. It also kept the cream and prescription burn meds from getting on my bra. The side under my arm was also very burned and for that area I put a cotton Nike sock down the side of my bra. This enabled me to continue working as comfortably as possible. I agree the exhaustion is extreme especially the last few weeks and beyond. The immune system takes quite a hit. I came down with a virus a month after my radiation ended. I quickly came down with over 104 fever and wound up on oxygen,vomitting,coughing,aches and pains. Flu tests were negative as was every other test they performed. Meanwhile I had an allergic reaction while in the hospital with two kinds of itchy rashes. What a nightmare! I was in the hospital for 7 days and it took months to recover. Your friend needs to maintain healthy eating and rest as much as she can. Em