Valued Contributor

Bra recommendation during breast radiation

I would like to help a friend who just had a lumpectomy and will be starting 6 weeks of radiation. She mentioned she was told to wear a sport bra for comfort but post surgery she finds the cottom type picky and uncomfortable. She would like something without padding and "silky" but having a hard time finding something. 

Can anyone share their experience or recommend a bra I could get for her to try that you found smooth and soothing during treatement? I have looked a bit online and some are just so expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bra recommendation during breast radiation

I had a lump removed several years ago but no radiation. It was just a lump but it was under my breast where the underwire would sit. Anyway since then I cannot stand to wear underwire bras. I found Rhonda Shear at HSN the most comfortable and they are priced reasonably. I also got a couple of Hanes in a similar style at Walmart. They are the pull on kind with no back hooks. They are the only type I wear anymore.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I went through breast radiation I used a cotton sports bra without seams. Cotton was less irritating to me and when I needed an ointment or lotion for the effects of the radiation I found it easier to keep it in place instead of sliding all over the place. Whatever she feels most comfortable in is what works. She can always purchase something else while she's getting treatment. Best wishes to her. She is a warrior.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

During that time I discovered bras that are all made of t shirt jersey. All cotton. Very soft. Don't give a lot of support but I don't really need a lot - having never had children. I buy the ones from Lane Bryant called Cacique but there is also another brand called Comfort choice. A lot would depend on where on the breast the surgery was. Mine was the upper outer quadrant so not much rubbing against the fabric of the bra. Later her skin where they radiate will become much more sensitive from the radiation. They will tell her what to do about that. I still wear those bras daily except if I'm getting very dressed up then I wear a more structured bra for more support - but can't wait to get it off and go back to my nice soft bras. They took out about 25% of my breast with my lumpectomy and for a while I wore a prosthesis but when I entered menopause & started having hot flashes I could not stand that hot prosthesis and quit wearing it. The American cancer society can refer her to organizations that make bras specially for ladies who have special needs.

Frequent Contributor

I had to have 5 MRI's this last year and have bought and returned so many sports bra due to them all be tight and uncomfortable. I got one on Amazon and it was $19.95. Very comfortable, doesn't dig in and comes with thin pads that give some lift but they can be removed. 

Not sure if I can post a link but it was the "RoughRiver Women's Yoga Top Sports Bra."

Respected Contributor

@Theresa1121

I underwent 40 rounds of radiation for b/c on my left breast; I worked FT when being treated.

Your friend may want to consider wearing a soft cotton cami in lieu of a bra; she may experience radiation burns (I did). I used face cream on my burns, which healed up after treatment.

I wore Soma cotton mastectomy bras (available online or in stores), but felt most comfy in camis-no rubbing on sore bits while healing.

Your friend will be very tired as radiation tx proceeds and her immune system will be compromised. Consider helping w/premade meals and other assistance for her.

I hope she has a full recovery and you are a caring friend!

I had a lumpectomy last summer and had a hard time finding the right wireless bra for me.  I finally found a fabulous Bra store in NYC (Town Shop) and ended up with two types.  Love them both.  One is an Anita bra; the other is Amoena.  They're very different

but I found both incredibly comfortable.  In fact, I don't need to wear wireless bras anymore but I continue to wear both and have bought new ones.  They have a website where you can check out the styles.

Sending lots love and good wishes to your friend.  My experience with radiation was easy and painless.  It did make me tired and that feeling lasted for awhile after it was all done. But well worth for the prevention.

Honored Contributor

When I had my mastectomy, I was given a sports type bra to wear. It had lots of velcro so it could be adjusted to fit your needs. And then next to the Doctors office was a specialty shop. That is all they did was carry bras, swimsuits etc for the women who went or are going through treatment for breast cancer. It was wonderful. I was fitted and tried a few different styles. My favorite is a soft cotton bra that opens in the front. It is so comfortable. I just stocked up with 6 of them.

They have numerous styles. I also have lacy silky bras too. The band is extra soft, in fact everything touching you is soft the outside is lacy and silky.

Esteemed Contributor

Blessings and good health to all my fellow survivors........When I had my lumpectomy I wore Genie bras during radiation.   They were quite comfortable during an umcomfortable time.  When the skin was really burned toward the end I resorted to a good old Hanes mens cotton t shirt tanks!   I bought it smaller to be fitted for alittle support.  It worked out fine though I am not big busted.  Also FYI, Josie Marans argan oil is soothing on the burns.  Best wishes to her.

Honored Contributor

Is it a possibility she could wear tank tops?  I would think that would be more comfortable than a bra.  I hope the best for your friend, God bless her and you for being a good friend.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)