Respected Contributor

Re: Bought a box of Nutrisystem

@Northray I started my Nutrisystem weight loss program using the Box Program from Walmart. Then progressed to the Program offered on QVC. As of this week I have lost 23 lbs. I started on Jan 28th. I have had great success using this program. You can add other foods to make a nice meal. Vegetables, fruits, making great salads too. I add low fat sour cream, fat free cheeses to several of the meals. Spices too. I have gotten lots of ideas for making the meals better from Pinterest. I add a protein shake mid morning each day. I was buying Nutrisystem Shakes but now supplement with Andrew Lessmans Secure Protein Shakes. I know that there are lots of negative post about Nutrisystem and the meals, but it has helped me tremendously. It might not work for some but for others it has. I am 70 yrs old and I feel so much better now. Good luck and if you need any ideas for making your meals better just post here and I will try and help. Stay positive! 🙋🏻❤️
Esteemed Contributor

@Northray wrote:

It's just for a week.  Got it at W-mart.  Opened it tonight and man, the portions are smallll.  I don't know if I'll be satisfied with the portions.  I can't imagine a man being full off this stuff.  

I'll give a shot.  Maybe it expands when you open the packages, lol.       

When you're hungry, the goal isn't to eat until you feel full. The goal is to eat until you no longer feel hungry.

Pause occasionally and ask yourself if you still feel hungry. If the answer is yes, keep eating.

As soon as you no longer feel hungry, stop eating!

Thinking it's normal to continue to eat past the point of 'not hungry' is a relatively new notion that's contributed to a growing obesity problem.

When the population ate well, but maintained a healthier average weight, starting at Hungry and eating all the way to feeling "full" or to the uncomfortable point of "stuffed" was reserved for Thanksgiving and a few other special occasions.

Put these four points on a piece of paper and place a mark where you intend to stop eating.

Sometimes it helps to have a visual reference.

Hungry ... ... Not hungry ... ...Full ... Stuffed!

Super Contributor

I've been using NutriSystem since the middle of January and I've lost 20 pounds. What I find is that if I add things like 2 cups of green beans to whatever, that my meals are satisfying and fun. I tend to get a little annoyingly hungry mid-day and I have a hard boiled egg when that happens. I know you're supposed to use one of their shakes during that time, but I prefer to save that for my midnight snack.

It's a good system with lots of fiber and low in salt. Not only have I lost weight but my left knee hurts much less and my blood pressure has dropped into normal range. I also use MyFitnessPal to track everything I'm doing. That helps tremendously - again adding to the fun factor.

Good Luck!

Valued Contributor

I did Nutrisystem several years ago and lost 40 pounds and have kept it off. However, I went directly thru the Nutrisystem website. There, you can choose your foods, try the frozen which is entirely different from the shelf stable and schedule your autodelivery and postpone it as well. If you try it from the website, you must take 2 deliveries or you will be charged a cancellation fee. Some say it is expensive, but if you buy the Nutrisystem gift cards from Costco, it is an amazing buy. I still get a shipment from time to time using those cards when they go on sale. Right now you can get a $100 gift card for $59. I urge anyone serious about using this program to do it that way.

Yes, the portions are smaller, but you supplement with fresh fruits, veggies, dairy, proteins, etc. If you follow the program you will lose weight and if you stick to what you learn you can keep it off. I eat greek yogurt, bags of steam fresh veggies daily, and drink tons of water. I'm not really a fan of protein shakes, I would rather eat food, than drink it. Right now on the NS facebook page is an ad for 50% off ala cart, if you use a gift card on sale, that's pretty much dirt cheap. Also, eating this way changes what you want to eat after losing the weight. The fattening things I used to eat are so heavy, greasy, and salty, I can't stand many of them now. Plus, they make me feel awful. I know NS gets a bad rap, but there have been many changes over the years and the program definitely helped me.  I have bought the box sold at WalMart, but the frozen foods offered are VERY different from what is offered in the box.

Honored Contributor

Ronnyray

I bought the Nutrisystem from QVC one time. And I must say that the portions were fine. The package might look small but there was plenty of food. And yes, I think alot of it is to train our eye for portion control. I had to learn to eat smaller portions. That is why I was 20 pounds overweight. I was eating too much.

Good Luck. I hope you do well. 

Honored Contributor

@sunsetbeach I just checked out the frozen food on the NutriSystem website, and WOW! That all looks good. Not sure it will let me purchase it since I am not on any plan with them, but when my freezer gets a little more empty, I may try to try to stock up on some of those things. The ice cream looked yummy!

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler it is really good, including the ice cream!  I'm not sure, but I think you can purchase ala cart if not on a plan.  In order to get the 50% off you have to go thru the link on Facebook, tho.  If I had more freezer space, I'd definitely order more!  Smiley Happy   

Honored Contributor

@sunsetbeach I will try the Facebook way. That's awesome. Thanks!

Meanwhile, I will chow my way down the freezer to make room. Smiley LOL

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@sunsetbeach I will try the Facebook way. That's awesome. Thanks!

Meanwhile, I will chow my way down the freezer to make room. Smiley LOL

The facebook link is from May 6th.  It's the Memorial Day Deal 50% off ala cart post.  Good luck, I hope it works for you!  Happy chowing!  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunsetbeach Done! Thanks for letting me know about the 50% off FROZEN ala cart items. Found 23 items to try.  Smiley LOL

You're the best! Heart

And now.........chow down time with the freezer items still here!