Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Seriously?  This post must be joke.  I understand that you want an immediate cure like you see in an hour long tv show but medicine doesn't work like that.  Obviously, you think you know more than your physicians know.  So self medicate  with your herbals, just make sure that you let your doctors know what you are taking because one of the many things you do NOT understand is that herbals ARE drugs.  They are drugs just like any drug compounded in a factory and they can have dangerous interactions with other drugs you are taking.  Also, you are not seeing a physiatrist for pain management, that's silly.  You are seeing a physiatrist a because you have a problem with that wrist, which is a joint.  It's possible that you do have nerve damage, it's likely that you have a problem with the ligaments or tendons.  The physiatrist will sort it out, if you actually communicate with him are compliant with the treatment plan but not like it happens in a tv show.  It's your body, so it's perfectly ok to voice your concerns with your doctors and to ask questions.  You can even discuss this herbal plan of yours with them, many younger doctors have an open mind when it comes to alternative therapies.  They will work with you on it.      

Sorry if you thought my post was a joke.  I hope you had a good laugh. Smiley Happy  So many erroneous assumptions in your post.  My physiatrist is a sports medicine doc who specializes in pain management.  but you wouldn't know that.  Yes herbals are drugs but topical is not oral.  

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Deree  I get your hesitation with steroids but gabapentin is for exactly what you are describing; nerve inflammation.  It is not a controlled substance so if you are worried about addiction tendency, it has none. I would try it and see if you tolerate it and if it helps. It is prescribed a lot for shingles nerve pain.  

Also if you are looking for anti-inflammatory, if you tolerate NSAIDs, you could always stick with ibuprofen.  Not natural but certainly well known and usually well tolerated.

Other than what you've said, I will offer green tea maybe although most natural substances need time to build up in your system and offer relief.  

THank you @Laura14.  I do not currently take any meds or have any chronic health conditions but I have been diagnosed with PTSD and major depressive disorder thus the gabapentin side effect is of great concern to me.  The physiatrist didn't know of this diagnosis when he prescribed the gabapentin and as I said I research all drugs before taking them.  My GI system is too sensitive to take NSAIDS.  Years ago I reacted to naprosyn and celebrex.  I've been drinking green tea for years but certainly not enough daily to address this level of inflammation.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Putting HOT water on anything would make it get more inflamed IMO.  I would try the medications the doctors prescribed to see if they help.  Perhaps you can try them at half the dose?? ask your doctors about that since you are afraid of side effects.  I totally get that and most all the time my doctor lets me try half the dose 1st to see how I do.

Skip the boswellia or any other herbal thing...usually a waste of money and time.  Getting the inflammation down is best.

@tsavorite sometimes you would think a form of therapy wouldn't be good for a particular condition but in fact the hot water makes a remarkable difference in how I feel and heat also increases circulation bringing oxygen to damaged tissues and removing waste products.  My physiatrist acknowledged that hot water relieves my pain and stiffness and also said it typically means there is nerve involvement.  He told me to continue doing my exercises under hot water.  Halving the dose is a good suggestion and I will be speaking with my doc tomorrow.  THanks.

Trusted Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Deree

You are wanting the inflammation down because you want to be able to move/use your fingers.

I’d go with telling the Physical Therapist, then go with their suggestion.

Next: call your doctor💗

@LTT1 the PT facility screwed up my appointments twice now.  I showed up yesterday and was told the secreetary didn't put me in the book.  I  spoke to the manager of the facility and she said she will treat me this Friday and I think she will be a good resource.  The problem with a lot of docs is they try to fit every one of their patients into their standard protocol and treatment when the individual's needs and concerns should be taken into account.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Deree  You are very smart.  With that psychological profile, any type of gaba medication would potentially not be your friend.  

As a tech, I'm not really allowed to go further but, if you have not hit up your local pharmacist yet, he or she would be the best resource for out of the box thinking since you are so restricted. 

It's a possibility that they may have a non-controlled anti-inflammatory drug in patch form to bypass your GI issues.  The only ones I can think of right now are controlled substances which are not for you or your condition.

Or the OTC patches for back pain which probably wouldn't work on a nerve issue but you could always try icing your hand if you haven't already.  I did that when I broke my wrist a year ago and it did help but my pain wasn't nerve.  Just keep a towel between your skin and the pack or I used frozen vegetables.  It might be better than nothing.    

Other than the normal pain relievers like you've already mentioned and aspirin which also would not be for you, I'm kind of stuck at the moment. You probably know this but Tylenol wouldn't help for what you are describing.  It acts on the brain not at the site of pain.  

If I can think of anything else, I'll post back.  

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Deree  You are very smart.  With that psychological profile, any type of gaba medication would potentially not be your friend.  

As a tech, I'm not really allowed to go further but, if you have not hit up your local pharmacist yet, he or she would be the best resource for out of the box thinking since you are so restricted. 

It's a possibility that they may have a non-controlled anti-inflammatory drug in patch form to bypass your GI issues.  The only ones I can think of right now are controlled substances which are not for you or your condition.

Or the OTC patches for back pain which probably wouldn't work on a nerve issue but you could always try icing your hand if you haven't already.  I did that when I broke my wrist a year ago and it did help but my pain wasn't nerve.  Just keep a towel between your skin and the pack or I used frozen vegetables.  It might be better than nothing.    

Other than the normal pain relievers like you've already mentioned and aspirin which also would not be for you, I'm kind of stuck at the moment. You probably know this but Tylenol wouldn't help for what you are describing.  It acts on the brain not at the site of pain.  

If I can think of anything else, I'll post back.  

@Laura14  You're a pharm tech?  Cool.  Thank you for the great info and I will talk to my pharmacist, another good resource.  You know I really didn't want to divulge my personal medical history but sometimes it helps for people to understand.  

I asked both my ortho and physiatrist about patches like Salonpas.  Neither was in favor of that doing any good.  Of course I can try it on my own.  I was a gym rat for many years and have had other injuries.  I know that alternating icing and heating is often useful wtih each being done for different reasons. That being ice reduces inflammation but in my case also stiffens me up even more  and causes more pain so I follow that with heat which as I said increases circulation, loosens me up, and decreases my pain.  Unfortunately I can only take Tylenol.

I know that nerves take a long time to heal.  I would just feel better if I understood what I am dealing with because this is more than just straight healing from a fractured wrist.  which is why I requested an MRI but I know docs are very hesitant to order them because of cost and I have to assume they are affected by that in some way.

Honored Contributor

@Deree

You probably don’t want to extend this discussion, but I must add:

For the facility to mess up your appt twice is not cool.

You have discussed possible nerve pain with your doctor?

Maybe the PT is making it WORSE, instead of being part of the healing process?

I think before I set foot back in there, I’d get it straight with the doctor.

In this medical climate we have today, I’m thinking nothing can be left to chance.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Deree

You probably don’t want to extend this discussion, but I must add:

For the facility to mess up your appt twice is not cool.

You have discussed possible nerve pain with your doctor?

Maybe the PT is making it WORSE, instead of being part of the healing process?

I think before I set foot back in there, I’d get it straight with the doctor.

In this medical climate we have today, I’m thinking nothing can be left to chance.

@LTT1 I appreciate your interest and concern so I don't mind talking about it at all. I agree about the facility messing up.  It really was due to one front desk person in particular but the Manager was nice enough to say she will take my case personally and I know I will have the opportunity to speak with her about my concerns about PT not knowing what exactly is going on inside.  Which is why I think an MRI is in order.  I think it's important to know exactly what's happening here before an appropriate treatment is instituted.

My ortho said nerve involvement is possible but I want to try drugs and PT before I go for an EMG which he said is quite painful and so I've heard.  I don't have any intention of going for an EMG.  The physiatrist acknowledged that there is likely nerve involvement solely based upon the fact that hot water relieves the pain and stiffness.  Neither seemed terribly concerned that nerves could be involved but I am.

I'm going to wait until I speak to the PT Manager on Friday and also my pharmacist.  In any event I will not engage in aggressive PT because as you said too aggressive PT could cause more damage. I've already been doing a number of exercises at home for about 3 weeks now.  There just hasn't been any improvement.  Like I said, the fracture itself is healed and my wrist is just tight and will loosen up with movement and exercise.  It's my hand and fingers that are somehow compromised and that was very unexpected.

Honored Contributor

@Deree@Laura14

Is it painful?

have you heard of methyl salicylate?

@Deree

I’m sorry I don’t know about/haven’t tried the bosweillia!

if the preparations you have tried don’t help, I am very very sorry,

Cannot imagine pain like that❤️

Hoping you get some answers and some help in the next two days!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@LTT1  oh yes it's painful even at rest. In fact when awake I have to keep manipulating or moving my hand and fingers because if I don't move for even around 10 minutes I stiffen up and there's more pain.  Luckily I'm able to sleep without feeling the pain.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll investigate and of course run it by my physiatrist who understands me and my situation most of all.  I like him and trust his judgment.

I've also tried Arnica cream and Tiger Balm with no pain relief.  I also tried a healing balm from Wintercrest that contains peppermint, wintergreen, birch, clove, nutmeg, and a couple other things.  It took the edge off the pain but only for a brief time.  That's why I asked if anyone had success with Boswellia cream.  I read that people with arthritis pain say it's a lifesaver.