Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover 

Good News! When you get my age you just put your teeth in the dishwasher (top rack only) and fuhgeddaboutit!

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

As if all the rest of it weren't enough - dental hygienest measured the gaps in my gums and took x-rays this morning.  Not only do I have receding gums, but bone loss!  Smiley Surprised

I swear this getting old - the surprises are never ending.  For now I have to use Paradontex toothpaste and a dry mouth rinse and keep an eye on things in the hope it doesn't get worse.  ******!

I have had receded gums and bone loss for years. Partly genetic....and due to aging and general bone loss in the body.  Buy the way, Paradontex toothpaste  a ripoff.... read the ingredients...it is just FLORIDE...nothing else and an inflated price.

PLEASES NOTE:   Colgate Total Toothpaste is significantly more effective in reducing plaque and gingivitis than Parodontax Toothpaste and much less expensive. 

Honored Contributor

This getting old is not for sissies!!! Stupid TEETH!!!

I had chemo 10 years ago and since then, my teeth are way more susceptible to the way of being a pain --------in the mouth Woman Very Happy----my teeth were never so needy before but now seems like every 6 months there is a new tiny cavity somewhere. But the areas around my teeth at the gum line has vastly improved due to me using an ultra sonic toothbrush. And I don't bleed when I floss or have a cleaning---

Honored Contributor

Re: Bone loss around teeth

[ Edited ]

My dental surgeon told me that when a tooth is lost or extracted there is 25% bone lost in the jaw bone during the following year and it continues to lose density in the years to come. He went on to say that what helps keep our jaw bones dense is the actual biting down action on the jaw bone itself. So when there are teeth missing then there will be bone loss and then gum recession (including the gums on the teeth next to the missing teeth) after that. Get bone grafts when teeth are extracted!

Osteoporosis does affect the jaw bone as well...why would it not??

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover 

@PilatesLover wrote:

As if all the rest of it weren't enough - dental hygienest measured the gaps in my gums and took x-rays this morning.  Not only do I have receding gums, but bone loss!  Smiley Surprised

I swear this getting old - the surprises are never ending.  For now I have to use Paradontex toothpaste and a dry mouth rinse and keep an eye on things in the hope it doesn't get worse.  ******!

Oh i feel for you because I have the same problem for the last three years and cannot afford to replace if I lose the teeth on that side. I just won't smile anymore.  The teeth I have lost, no one can see when I smile and was able to get work done on the side I lost where you could see. 

The worst part is, I took care of my teeth with flossing, brushing, and see the dentist every 4 months for cleaning and xrays when needed.  It's old age.  I take all the vitimins and do everything, but it's still happening.  I also use the same toothpaste you use.  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@moonandthestars 

@moonandthestars wrote:

@PilatesLover Interesting you would post this. Well maybe not interesting but coincidental.  Having a similar bone issue.  Is the Paratondex for the gums?  Is there anything that can be done to improve bone in the tooth/mouth area?

I was told no.  I rinse with mouthwash and sometime peroxide to keep from getting infected.  They were suppose to fall out three years ago, but hanging in there.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle 

@Shelbelle wrote:

My DH went to a periodentist a few times, helped him a lot. He also takes Co Q 10 and magnesium. 

I do the same and maybe that's why they are still hanging in there.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 78 and visit the Dentist every six months. The only teeth I ever had pulled were my wisdom teeth.  Gums are in good condition and no other issues. I don't floss ( teeth are very close together ) or use a water pik.  I do use a Butler tool but take no supplements.  DH has constant issues, including a mouthful of failed implants and now dentures.  His dental hygiene routine in far superior to mine;  genetics has a lot to do with the health of your teeth.  I believe it is essential to have ongoing dental care or your total body health will be negatively impacted.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I'm 78 and visit the Dentist every six months. The only teeth I ever had pulled were my wisdom teeth.  Gums are in good condition and no other issues. I don't floss ( teeth are very close together ) or use a water pik.  I do use a Butler tool but take no supplements.  DH has constant issues, including a mouthful of failed implants and now dentures.  His dental hygiene routine in far superior to mine;  genetics has a lot to do with the health of your teeth.  I believe it is essential to have ongoing dental care or your total body health will be negatively impacted.

@patbz    My Husband and I are the opposite of you and your husband. I am the one who is so health consious  and brush and floss...twice a day.. use a water pick etc etc etc...... and I have all the teeth issues... We both go have cleanings every four months and take care of our teeth....

DH just brushes and flosses once a day  He has only one crown and a couple of fillings.. no missing teeth...

I have recession, bone loss, missing teeth and a mouthful of crownsWoman Sad.

I also have four joint replacements... he does not even have arthritis at all. He does not take the best care of himself... or worry about his health like I do... so a lot has to do with genetics.

Trusted Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@PilatesLover 

Good News! When you get my age you just put your teeth in the dishwasher (top rack only) and fuhgeddaboutit!

😂😂😂😂