Honored Contributor

Re: Bob Harper’s Changes For His Heart

@Noel7wrote:

Having higher than recommended cholesterol does not mean it's from what you are eating.

The body makes it's own cholesterol and many people have a problem with high levels that are not their making.

@Noel7

It is still remarkable that after going vegan that it dropped 100 points.

Respected Contributor

Does anyone know if Bob had Open heart surgery?  I can't find anywhere where he has actually said that.   I would think he did as he was 100% blocked but then again I am not sure.   My husband had Open heart in August, had 100% widow maker blocked and 3 other blockages and no signs of heart attack.  What took him to the ER was heart burn that wouldn't go away with his normal medication he took for it.  His EKG didn't even show he'd had a heart attack.  Luckily he was in good shape going in and he did fantastic with his recovery and has more energy now than ever before, he and I are 63 and he still plays softball.   I just wondered if Bob had open heart.   Thank you in advance for anyone who knows.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@Noel7wrote:

PS @Trinity11

I also follow the Mediterranean Diet.  IMO it’s an easy plan to live with.

@Noel7 @Trinity11  @hckynutI essentially live the Mediterranean Diet- I should go on line to tweak it and be sure. My cardiologist has advised the Ornish plan. Anyone go that route? I have 100% blockage on the right side with collateral arteries, the left side is okay. So far no heart attack or damage to the muscle. Believe it or not, my insurance won't cover cardio rehab because it would be preventative!! Woman Frustrated I have to have a heart issue (whether it be an attack &/or stents) before they approve anything.... Woman Frustrated 

Hi @Ibby114.. Just wondering if you have an offshoot artery of the right side that is 100% blocked? A lot of times women's arteries are so small that many interventionalists do not have the skill to fix the blockage.

I don't like giving advice but seriously, you should try and see another cardiologist if you have a blockage of 100 percent. I am concerned for you....

@Noel7 I've had 4 independent cardiologists look at my heart cath results and all said the same thing-  my heart is working fine due to the collateral  arteries - even with the blockage. It's not the offshoot (collaterals) blocked, it's the main artery n the right side.  Even though I'm doing the right thing healthwise (mostly!) - I feel like a future heart attack is a given. But I won't stop living life or get nuts over every ache & pain. 

Hi @Ibby114

It was @Trinity11  who wrote to you, not I. 

@Noel7 thank you, I updated my reply! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bopperwrote:

Does anyone know if Bob had Open heart surgery?  I can't find anywhere where he has actually said that.   I would think he did as he was 100% blocked but then again I am not sure.   My husband had Open heart in August, had 100% widow maker blocked and 3 other blockages and no signs of heart attack.  What took him to the ER was heart burn that wouldn't go away with his normal medication he took for it.  His EKG didn't even show he'd had a heart attack.  Luckily he was in good shape going in and he did fantastic with his recovery and has more energy now than ever before, he and I are 63 and he still plays softball.   I just wondered if Bob had open heart.   Thank you in advance for anyone who knows.

No, he received 2 stents @bopper

Honored Contributor

@bopperwrote:

Hi @bopper,

I was looking online right afted this thread started and I could not find a definitive answer. There was a shirtless picture of him that said it was after his cardiac arrest, but I didn't see anything that said surgery. Now in my book, Stent Angioplasty is Surgery, because it is a very invasive and serious procedure.

Bob without a shirt I was looking for The Zipper on his chest. His chest is covered with a tatoo(s), and I couldn't even tell if there was the telltale incision made there. 

As far as The Widow Maker? To me that means CARDIAC ARREST, and you have only minutes to survive if you do not get immediate help, and even then your chances of surviving are very small percentage wise. 

Your husband having 100% blockage without having a heart attack is very possible. My Right Coronary was 100% blocked, but I was having a heart attack with both events. Still, because of the 100% blockage being in an area where Stent Angioplasty could be performed, my Cardiologist did not need to "open me up". Was I considered as having a Widow Maker? Not in my opinion, but the lower part of my heart now has lost a lot of it's function, because muscle died with both attacks.

Interesting! I know had I not got help fairly soon, I would not have lived. Your husband? That might be something to ask his Cardiologist since he did not show any heart muscle damaged and lost. If he still has 100% of his heart muscle pumping, I am happy for him, and for you.

Think I told about my lifelong friend that is 81 years old in a post. He had his Aortic Valve replaced with pig skin in November of 2016, and he was back ice skating in February 2017. Now this surgery involves removing all the blood from your body(open heart surgery, plus)/replacing the Aortic Valve, and returning your blood. 

He however still has 100% of his heart muscle, which is certainly a good thing as far as heart issues are concerned. His problems started with A-FIB, and progressed from there. He did have Cardioversion a few times prior to needing his valve surgery. Needless to say, he was an athlete and in very good physical shape going in for surgery.

Good reading more about your husbands heart issues, and I am very happy he still has(I think, from what you have said here)100% of his heart muscle.

Take good care my friend,

JOhn(hckynut)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I've read that Bob got a stent.  I don't know that they are considered that invasive, they're pretty simple, I've had three.  Mine were done by going into a vein in my thigh and following it up into the heart.

No bad side effects or suffering but there is follow up testing and I was given Plavix for a year, one a day.

Honored Contributor

Widow maker. ... This term is used because the left main coronary, and/or the left anterior descending supply blood to large areas of the heart. This means that if these arteries are abruptly and completely occluded it will cause a massive heart attack that will likely lead to sudden death.
Respected Contributor

@hckynutwrote:

@bopperwrote:

Hi @bopper,

I was looking online right afted this thread started and I could not find a definitive answer. There was a shirtless picture of him that said it was after his cardiac arrest, but I didn't see anything that said surgery. Now in my book, Stent Angioplasty is Surgery, because it is a very invasive and serious procedure.

Bob without a shirt I was looking for The Zipper on his chest. His chest is covered with a tatoo(s), and I couldn't even tell if there was the telltale incision made there. 

As far as The Widow Maker? To me that means CARDIAC ARREST, and you have only minutes to survive if you do not get immediate help, and even then your chances of surviving are very small percentage wise. 

Your husband having 100% blockage without having a heart attack is very possible. My Right Coronary was 100% blocked, but I was having a heart attack with both events. Still, because of the 100% blockage being in an area where Stent Angioplasty could be performed, my Cardiologist did not need to "open me up". Was I considered as having a Widow Maker? Not in my opinion, but the lower part of my heart now has lost a lot of it's function, because muscle died with both attacks.

Interesting! I know had I not got help fairly soon, I would not have lived. Your husband? That might be something to ask his Cardiologist since he did not show any heart muscle damaged and lost. If he still has 100% of his heart muscle pumping, I am happy for him, and for you.

Think I told about my lifelong friend that is 81 years old in a post. He had his Aortic Valve replaced with pig skin in November of 2016, and he was back ice skating in February 2017. Now this surgery involves removing all the blood from your body(open heart surgery, plus)/replacing the Aortic Valve, and returning your blood. 

He however still has 100% of his heart muscle, which is certainly a good thing as far as heart issues are concerned. His problems started with A-FIB, and progressed from there. He did have Cardioversion a few times prior to needing his valve surgery. Needless to say, he was an athlete and in very good physical shape going in for surgery.

Good reading more about your husbands heart issues, and I am very happy he still has(I think, from what you have said here)100% of his heart muscle.

Take good care my friend,

JOhn(hckynut)

Hi John my husband did not show any heart attack symptoms other than the heart burn he had but it was his blood work that showed it, not the EKG.  His triponen was elevated.   His heart surgeon told us he had the widow maker 100% blocked along with 3 other blockages, and also told us he had probably had 2 heart attacks he didn't even know he had.   He has gaind all his heart function back, his heart muscle was not damaged.    But let me go back, before he found out he needed open heart, he went to the heart cathe lab for what we thought were stents, right?   So 45 minutes later that dr. came out and told me he was a very sick man and he was diseased everywhere.  He said it was not possible for my husband to have stents as he had too many blockages and would need open heart, so that's what put that into action.  His hard part was he had to sit in the hospital for 7 days waiting for his surgery because there wasn't room for him, told him to stay right in bed or only go to the bathroom and back because who knows, moving too much could send him into his death bed, so that was a bit anxious for all of us.  But I am so glad it's over, he's so well now, he walks with a good clip now, he never did that, was always tired .  He goes to the gym 7 days a week now.  He always did go, but he didn't workout like his is now, 30 pounds down, he's a happy man.   Thank you John, continued good health!