Respected Contributor

Re: Blue light glasses for computer workers? Your experience?

I have blue eyes so I don't need them.

I read it on the Internet.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

The color of your eyes has nothing to do with blue light entering the eye. Blue light enters any color eye, no difference. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee Wow thank you for that. I just did it and it makes a big difference! 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

You're welcome.Woman Happy @CherryHugs 

Honored Contributor

@poregirl 

Yes, they are helpful.  I'm a computer systems analyst & am on my computer 12 hours a day.  I do find them helpful, but I still need to remember to walk away every now & then!  Mine are prescription; I've never tried non-prescription ones, but I'm sure they work well, too.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You should check with your own doc.  I've used computers and word processors since the mid 1980s and never had an eyestrain issue.  

------------------------------------------------

From WEBMD ...

The American Academy of Ophthalmology says you don’t need them and has gone on record as not recommending any kind of special eyewear for computer users. The organization says blue light from digital devices does not lead to eye disease and doesn’t even cause eyestrain. The problems people complain about are simply caused by overuse of digital devices, it says.

-------------------------------------------------

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20191216/do-blue-light-glasses-work

Trusted Contributor

I'm on at least that long. I'd didn't know you could get a presciption.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

The color of your eyes has nothing to do with blue light entering the eye. Blue light enters any color eye, no difference. 

Oh dear. I forgot the Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Since I work on my laptop 8-9 hours a day and a I'm on it a couple of hours a night after that and I'm doing things on my smart phone; my eye doctor included blue light protection in both pairs of my prescription glasses.  I did notice that my eyes didn't get as tired and red as they did before the new glasses.  

Valued Contributor

It made a difference for me.  I was diagnosed with early on-set of age related macular degeneration at 38.  Other than my genetics, my biggest enemy is eye strain.  Anything that I can try or use to cut down on eye strain over the long run I am willing to try.