Respected Contributor

Re: Blood pressure monitors - wrist or arm?

@kate2357 @corita @walker @Trinity11 @LindaSal @hckynut + all

Deep gratitude for starting this thread and all the useful contributors!

I only recently started showing high blood pressure (and for the first time, elevated blood sugar, cholesterol). Although I was already plants, I cleaned out my kitchen of processed foods, high sodium soups (who knew?), started reading labels. Now on a heart-healthy plant diet. Also supplements, including ceylon cinnamon, Omega 3, Qunol for coQ10, and garlique (special version for blood pressure). Added morning/evening exercise.

It'll be 3 months before blood tests will usefully show whether I can avoid prescriptions or interventions.

In the meantime, this thread alerted me that I could check my blood pressure at home! It's important to get whatever feedback we can that's reliable.

Based on your recommendations (coming, in turn, from your docs) I got the Omron (which Amazon delivered the next morning at 7 am!). *Omron has versions starting at bronze, silver, gold, platinum.

** I elected NOT to coordinate with my cell phone, just take BP manually and keep a journal. Not sure I want my medical information on my cell phone. I'm doing first thing in the morning and later evening, to see patterns.

*** As one contributor mentioned, follow instructions exactly!

Gratitude, to all.

My last blood pressure test in the medical office was 138/88, late January.

Yesterday + this morning I was 125/69.

Thrilled.

Will be alert for fluctuations, but needed the motivation to keep with all the New Habits. It's hard to change behaviors.

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor 

Good for you in taking control of your health. From personal experience, I can attest to how good you feel, mentally as well as physically, when you eat well and get in consistent exercise.

Take care .. and slow and steady works ... then you can build up to a quicker pace.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

Good for you my friend, good for you!!!!

Respected Contributor

With my brand new diagnosis of chronic congestive heart failure added to my hypertension, I need medical grade monitoring. I have an Omron but it is many years old. I've ordered the Oxiline Pressure X Pro. It has blue tooth capability and will sync with my phone, which I like. It will keep track of trends also 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Follow up to my earlier reply, on using an Omron to measure my blood pressure after changing diet, exercise and supplements:

Thrilled.

Will be alert for fluctuations, but needed the motivation to keep with all the New Habits. It's hard to change behaviors.

For two mornings in a row my blood pressure is now 113/68.

I suspect that when a non-exerciser (me) starts doing 25 minutes am + pm each day, that might be a big contributor. I did start with slow doable cardio, resistance band, light weights.

*** I found YouTube to be full of great short programs to follow (10 minutes, 12, or 20), my favorites are by SilverSneakers. Starting with an exercise guide is wise.

Respected Contributor

either qvc or hsn had an arm monitor that is the same style as using a wrist monitor. Just slide it up your arm and you get automatic reading-in big number. 

My omiron won't give out for yrs, but i might look into this one, eventually.

Trusted Contributor

Arm is best. Omron is the best brand. 

All of that being the concurring opinions of my primary care doctor and my cardiologist.  

I own an Omron BP machine with an arm cuff.  I took it to the office of each of those doctors and it compared nearly perfectly with their professional equipment. Had it several years and it is trouble-free. So far, I had to replace the batteries once. 

If you have an iPhone there is an excellent app to track your BP readings.  It will show a graph as well as your individual readings and can issue a printable report on a monthly basis. The report can also be emailed to a doctor or uploaded to a portal. Find it under BP Companion in the App Store. 

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

Follow up to my earlier reply, on using an Omron to measure my blood pressure after changing diet, exercise and supplements:

Thrilled.

For two mornings in a row my blood pressure is now 113/68.

I suspect that when a non-exerciser (me) starts doing 25 minutes am + pm each day, that might be a big contributor. I did start with slow doable cardio, resistance band, light weights.

*** I found YouTube to be full of great short programs to follow (10 minutes, 12, or 20), my favorites are by SilverSneakers. Starting with an exercise guide is wise.

@1Professor 

Is there some particular reason you choose to post using different font sizes/colors/font types in your posts? I am assuming you are doing it to make it look "Official"(as in copy/paste)".

Seems like it would be harder for you to post, and certainly harder for me to read. Answer at your pleasure and if you do answer in your above mentioned post description? I have no plan to read.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@1Professor ....very happy you have a new blood pressure monitor to use.  My doctor advised blood pressure readings in morning before coffee, etc.  If recording for doctor, I do evening as well.  

@hckynutjohn .... I always appreciate your input here except this comment...guess you need to just pass by comments done this way.  Sometimes it is good for me....slow down to read....hurrying is not good for my blood pressure! 😆

Esteemed Contributor

@walker wrote:

@hckynutjohn .... I always appreciate your input here except this comment...guess you need to just pass by comments done this way.  Sometimes it is good for me....slow down to read....hurrying is not good for my blood pressure! 😆

@walker 

Glad you didn't quote the "quote" I mentioned. Anything that strains my eyes more than necessary, I usually comment.

Tiny font and/or light colors, don't slow me down. I just don't read them anymore, even the ones titled with a topic in which I am interested. Sorry!  🤒

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)