Honored Contributor

Re: Blood pressure monitors - wrist or arm?

I'm old school.....

Arm band

Stethoscope

Gauge

I have "low" blood pressure which is normal on the maternal side of my family.  Does not affect me at all except I can sleep through a nuclear bomb drop. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

It seems most believe the arm monitor to be the most accurate. I will most likely buy another Omiron monitor and check it's accuracy w/ bp taken by medical staff at next visit.

I have noticed that except while in the hospital, they usually do take bp manually. I actually wondered why ... I guess it's more accurate measurement. 

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kate2357 

I have been using Omron Wrist Monitors for over 3 decades now. Have checked them against nurses using a stethoscope, and about every type of machine for monitoring BP, in hospitals/Doctors Offices/Cardiac Rehab classes. 

I found them to be accurate enough for me, or I would not have continued to use them.

Some I have spoke with about this were not using them correctly, and regardless of how one's BP is checked! If not done properly the readings will not be accurate. I have experienced this even from a nurse during my Cardiac Rehab Sessions.

Wrist works well for me.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kate2357 

I have been using Omron Wrist Monitors for over 3 decades now. Have checked them against nurses using a stethoscope, and about every type of machine for monitoring BP, in hospitals/Doctors Offices/Cardiac Rehab classes. 

I found them to be accurate enough for me, or I would not have continued to use them.

Some I have spoke with about this were not using them correctly, and regardless of how one's BP is checked! If not done properly the readings with not be accurate. I have experienced this even from a nurse during my Cardiac Rehab Sessions.

Wrist works well for me.

hckynut 🇺🇸

I had a wrist monitor that worked great as well.  Haven't used one at home in the last 6 years but arm band ones are difficult to use for me and maybe the hassle makes them less reliable at home.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrist only for me, I have severe White coat Syndrome and when that band goes across my arms I just cringe  Mine is Reli On brand from Walmart but it is made by Omron, mine is 12 years old and still going strong. Very accurate, I take it with me to my doctors office. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a wrist monitor.  Much easier to use.  

Took mine to PCP visit and they were together.  She seemed pleased.

Mine is a SLIGHT TOUCH.

Esteemed Contributor

Arm for me.  Also be sure to follow all the instructions.

Honored Contributor

Arm.

I've had HBP for decades and my docs have always recommended an Omron for the arm.

Esteemed Contributor

My Dr. said arm better

Esteemed Contributor

My cardio also said arm is best and recommended the Omicron brand!!