Esteemed Contributor

Blood pressure medicine recall: Some pills pose potential cancer risk

Blood pressure medicine recall: Some pills pose potential cancer risk, FDA announces

Natalie Neysa Alund, USA TODAY 12h ago

A pharmaceutical company is recalling a blood pressure medication due to a potential cancer risk, the FDA announced this week.

Aurobindo Pharma USA is recalling two lots of quinapril and hydrochlorothiazide tablets due to levels of nitrosamine. The tablets are commonly prescribed for the treatment of hypertension to lower blood pressure.

Low levels of nitrosamine, or N-nitroso-quinapril, is regularly found in water and food including cured and grilled meats, dairy products and vegetables. Exposure to high levels, the FDA reports, has been linked with an elevated risk of cancer.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced the company's voluntary recall Wednesday.

According to the FDA advisory, the medication are “pink colored, scored, round shaped, biconvex, film-coated tablets, debossed with ‘D’ on the scored side and ‘19’ on the other side.”

So far, the FDA reported no adverse events have been linked to this issue.

“Patients should contact their doctor or health care provider about whether to continue taking their medication, or whether to consider an alternative treatment prior to returning their medication,” according to an advisory on the FDA’s website.

Consumers with questions about the recall can call 1-866-850-2876 or email pvg@aurobindousa.com.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Blood pressure medicine recall: Some pills pose potential cancer risk

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Blood pressure medicine recall: Some pills pose potential cancer risk, FDA announces

Natalie Neysa Alund, USA TODAY 12h ago

A pharmaceutical company is recalling a blood pressure medication due to a potential cancer risk, the FDA announced this week.

Aurobindo Pharma USA is recalling two lots of quinapril and hydrochlorothiazide tablets due to levels of nitrosamine. The tablets are commonly prescribed for the treatment of hypertension to lower blood pressure.

Low levels of nitrosamine, or N-nitroso-quinapril, is regularly found in water and food including cured and grilled meats, dairy products and vegetables. Exposure to high levels, the FDA reports, has been linked with an elevated risk of cancer.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced the company's voluntary recall Wednesday.

According to the FDA advisory, the medication are “pink colored, scored, round shaped, biconvex, film-coated tablets, debossed with ‘D’ on the scored side and ‘19’ on the other side.”

So far, the FDA reported no adverse events have been linked to this issue.

“Patients should contact their doctor or health care provider about whether to continue taking their medication, or whether to consider an alternative treatment prior to returning their medication,” according to an advisory on the FDA’s website.

Consumers with questions about the recall can call 1-866-850-2876 or email pvg@aurobindousa.com.

@gertrudecloset   This is why I take NOTHING

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"This is why I take NOTHING"

@BalletBabe 

I hope you are able to maintain whatever your health condition might be. There are many millions of us out there, that without certain medications, would die a slow and miserable death.

Be sure to thank your parents and grandparents, who hopefully they may still be alive,  for the genetics that they passed on to you. Humans can change a whole lot of risk factors to live a better life. Genetics is not one of them.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Carditone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset thank you, ill check my HTHCZ although mine is peach colored. I appreciate the heads up!

@BalletBabeyour post comes off arrogant. Reread @hckynutjohn 's post at least 3 times. Happy for you but no idea why you would even comment when it apparently doesnt affect you. Some of us suffer from high bp. 

Respected Contributor

I'm thankful that I don't have to take meds. This is not to disrespect those where it's a necessity. My body makeup for some reason makes me have bad reactions to most everything I've ever taken. When something says it's for daytime use, it makes me fall asleep within an hour. If it's for nighttime, it's like I'm on speed. I imagine the day will come where I need to take meds but I'm glad I don't have to at this point.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

Thank you for sharing this with everyone!

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Carditone.

@phoenixbrd  I have been on this Carditone  for 20 years....not on any pharmaceutical drugs for my high blood pressure. I have had  HBP since  my early 20's. Genetic no doubt...

Honored Contributor

Hydrochlorothiazide pills are so tiny, you'd need laser vision to read anything written on them.  However I haven't received any notification from my mail order pharmacy, OptumRX

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I'm thankful that I don't have to take meds. This is not to disrespect those where it's a necessity. My body makeup for some reason makes me have bad reactions to most everything I've ever taken. When something says it's for daytime use, it makes me fall asleep within an hour. If it's for nighttime, it's like I'm on speed. I imagine the day will come where I need to take meds

" but I'm glad I don't have to at this point".

@Carolina925 

Me too.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)