Esteemed Contributor

Re: Blood Drawn now pain and numbness

@sfnative   thank you for your reply , you seem very knowledgeable are you in the medical field?  

My symptoms are about the same, no worse and maybe a bit better still numbness and tingling.  And swelling at the vein site.

i Have never heard  of filing a incident report,   but will look into doing so with the hospital Monday.   Is the reason for obtaining this for  possible legal reasons?   Will have to see a neurologist as its now been 2 weeks and I don't have a good feeling about it just going away either.  I do know nerve injury can take a very  long time if at all to go away.   

Thank you again 😺

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore , 

I wanted to ask you how you are feeling after the blood draw problem? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@Kitty Galore , 

@Tissyanne   Thank you so much for asking.  I'm still with symptoms, but I feel it's getting a little better .  So I'm going to think positive and give it more time.   I have an appointment to see my primary dr this week  and will go from there .   

Thanks again😺

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@sfnative   thank you for your reply , you seem very knowledgeable are you in the medical field?  

My symptoms are about the same, no worse and maybe a bit better still numbness and tingling.  And swelling at the vein site.

i Have never heard  of filing a incident report,   but will look into doing so with the hospital Monday.   Is the reason for obtaining this for  possible legal reasons?   Will have to see a neurologist as its now been 2 weeks and I don't have a good feeling about it just going away either.  I do know nerve injury can take a very  long time if at all to go away.   

Thank you again 😺

@sfnative   I Inquired about the incident report and found out that only nurses or medical staff fill these out if there is an incident at the hospital for example if someone falls or incorrect meds are given etc.  
Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

@Kitty Galore , 

@Tissyanne   Thank you so much for asking.  I'm still with symptoms, but I feel it's getting a little better .  So I'm going to think positive and give it more time.   I have an appointment to see my primary dr this week  and will go from there .   

Thanks again😺

@Kitty Galore , I am glad you are a little better. I continue to think about you, and I am thinking positive for you. 

Sending good wishes

Esteemed Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

@Kitty Galore , 

Thanks again😺

@Kitty Galore , I am glad you are a little better. I continue to think about you, and I am thinking positive for you. 

Sending good wishes

@Tissyanne   You are a dear ,  and  I so appreciate the good wishes !  😺

Honored Contributor

I have been having blood draws at a mimimum of every 4 weeks for almost 17 years. Sometimes I barely feel them and othertimes "ouch." 

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I have been having blood draws at a mimimum of every 4 weeks for almost 17 years. Sometimes I barely feel them and othertimes "ouch." 

@RetRN    That is my usual  experience until this time.  I've had blood drawn every 4 months for over a decade ,  recently every 6mo plus several times in between those times for other doctors. I will never take it as routine ever again in fact I will be anxious now.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore 

Haven't checked this thread for a few days. From reading a couple later posts, I assume you are ok and your issues had no serious consequences.  

As I said in my other post: 7+ years on Coumadin (warfarin) blood draws averaged  3 times a week. There were some weeks that I went all 7 days, weekends I had to go directly to the lab to have it drawn. Many newbies, some I asked to do it to get more experience.

Only problem I ever had was left bleeding a few times, but always carried rags in our cars, just in case. Then the scar tissue issue in 1 vein made it kinda tricky to angle the needle around it, a little discomfort, but only when doing it.

Haven't read all the posts so not sure if you got to the why. Will read them later.

Best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Kitty Galore 

Haven't checked this thread for a few days. From reading a couple later posts, I assume you are ok and your issues had no serious consequences.  

As I said in my other post: 7+ years on Coumadin (warfarin) blood draws averaged  3 times a week. There were some weeks that I went all 7 days, weekends I had to go directly to the lab to have it drawn. Many newbies, some I asked to do it to get more experience.

Only problem I ever had was left bleeding a few times, but always carried rags in our cars, just in case. Then the scar tissue issue in 1 vein made it kinda tricky to angle the needle around it, a little discomfort, but only when doing it.

Haven't read all the posts so not sure if you got to the why. Will read them later.

Best to you,

hckynut(john)

@hckynut    Thanks for your follow up .   I thought I was doing better ,  now I'm still dealing with the symptoms on and off . Been over 3 weeks now.  Had my dr look at it she said it certainly looks like and sounds like a nerve was nicked and the tech should not have used a larger needle ,  she didn't need to,  should gave used a butterfly.  she could see that the needle was inserted sideways through the vein. Sending me for a ultrasound to confirm as 3 weeks is long enough to give it .  So that's where I am now.    I'm still being hopeful that it will resolve itself and that its just taking longer .   I have reported to the lab as well.