Esteemed Contributor

Blood Drawn now pain and numbness

went for labs last Friday and later that day I started to get numbness and pain in my fingertips.  The next morning I had this sharp electric shock kind of pain in that area between my breast and underarm!  Wow did that hurt!!   I still have that off and on during the day plus  still the numbness ,pins and needles and pain in my hands, fingers and arm.  I'm beyond mad as when the girl started I asked should I make a fist as I usually have to ,  she said yes after the 4th tube ,I had 6 , my arm and  hand started to hurt I then said can I unclench ?  she said well if you can wait till I finish this tube as the blood is flowing good.  She also kept the rubber band thing tied above my elbow which every other time I've had blood drawn and I've had labs done every 6 months for years with no incidents.  they untie it as soon as the blood starts flowing!   I really have no idea how much training she's had but my drs nurse said she must have used a larger needle and hit a nerve.   It feels like nerve pain as I've had tha before in my foot years ago and it is like electric shock pain , it took months to go away.    I'm very mad about all this and not sure if it's going to go away soon or if it will be long lasting.   I guess I should see a neurologist,  my Drs nurse said to give it another week ,  but I don't want to waste time and have it be worse as right now it's no better.    My sister feels I should ask an attorney if I can sue the lab.  Probably won't.   I just wonder how many others she may do this to.   Anyone ever had an incident like this happen?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Blood Drawn now pain and numbness

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore wrote:

went for labs last Friday and later that day I started to get numbness and pain in my fingertips.  The next morning I had this sharp electric shock kind of pain in that area between my breast and underarm!  Wow did that hurt!!   I still have that off and on during the day plus  still the numbness ,pins and needles and pain in my hands, fingers and arm.  I'm beyond mad as when the girl started I asked should I make a fist as I usually have to ,  she said yes after the 4th tube ,I had 6 , my arm and  hand started to hurt I then said can I unclench ?  she said well if you can wait till I finish this tube as the blood is flowing good.  She also kept the rubber band thing tied above my elbow which every other time I've had blood drawn and I've had labs done every 6 months for years with no incidents.  they untie it as soon as the blood starts flowing!   I really have no idea how much training she's had but my drs nurse said she must have used a larger needle and hit a nerve.   It feels like nerve pain as I've had tha before in my foot years ago and it is like electric shock pain , it took months to go away.    I'm very mad about all this and not sure if it's going to go away soon or if it will be long lasting.   I guess I should see a neurologist,  my Drs nurse said to give it another week ,  but I don't want to waste time and have it be worse as right now it's no better.    My sister feels I should ask an attorney if I can sue the lab.  Probably won't.   I just wonder how many others she may do this to.   Anyone ever had an incident like this happen?  

@Kitty Galore   It sounds awful.  Six vials sounds like a lot. I have had a nurse try to insert a needle as I was going into surgery, and all of a sudden my blood was flowing onto the floor.  I asked her if she was new to this, and she said yes.

Esteemed Contributor

ni @Kitty Galore I'm sorry you r having this problem.  i have blood drawn once a year for my physical, sometimes more often.  it is usually six vials and they do not remove the elastic until done.  opening and closing the fist shouldn't make a diference.  i have no knowledge of the needle or nerve issue.  i have never had a problem other than soreness.  it goes away. best of luck and good health!

Trusted Contributor

@Kitty Galore   I have blood drawn every 3 months due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and the medications I take.  I always tell them to use a butterfly needle because it is smaller and my veins are weak.  I have never had any symptons like you describe. I would be concerned and go to the doctor immediately. So many things could happen.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went Sunday to have blood drawn,like you I have blood work at least every six months. This time it WAS different, the lab technician stuck the needle in,that was ok,then she slid the first vial to collect and I had extreme pain, by the fourth vial I was literally holding on and almost in tears as it hurt so much. Even after she put bandage on it still hurt.. It is Monday and I still am having pain in my arm, when I stretched my arm out at times I  feel like a ripping sensation from my elbow space down wards. No bruises but still have pain. Not a happy camper about this,

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore 

I'm sorry you are in such pain.  I would see a doctor ASAP.

I have blood drawn frequently (never more than 4 vials) and the procedure you described, does not sound out of the ordinary.  Different techs use slightly different methods. 

Truthfully unless a doctor says something was done incorrectly causing a serious condition, I do not see why you would sue.

Honored Contributor

Based on my experience the tech has hit a nerve, which will cause inflammation that will bug you for several weeks.   Ibuprofen will reduce the inflammation.   

I had to give up blood and platelet donations due to this happening so many times, my doctor warned me it could result in paralyzing the nerve in my hand.  

My right hand used to go numb during the platelet donation process, and the nurse would slightly jiggle the needle to see if that made a difference.   The last time it happened was the worst; my hand was numb for hours after the donation, and I experienced a carpal tunnel flare that lasted 2 weeks.   I could not grip anything at all in my right hand.   This is when I was prescribed the braces for my hands that I wear at night.   

Honored Contributor

I have had that happen but it was temporary, like one day or so.  Hope you feel better soon. 

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore 

I am positive since 2002 I have had close to 2,000 full blood draws, many with multiple tubes of blood for different tests. One of my veins has so much scar tissue a syringe will not even penetrate it.

I invited Phlebotomist's that were still in training to draw my blood as I felt they have to learn by doing it, and I never gave blood draws a 2nd thought. Many fully trained Phlebotomists can and do have problems on occasion. It could be the syringe, as they are not created equal, or it could be other factors.

Have had many done exactly as you described yours, and have never had an issue, except maybe my blood clotting, as I was(then) on Warfarin  blood thinner.

I have no clue what happened to you and I hope one of your doctors is able to tell you. If a blood draw caused this experience, I suggest you be very careful, if and when, you need an IV inserted into you. Hope all works out well for you, and soon.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@Kitty Galore the phlebotomist hit a nerve and it takes time to heal. It can happen to any phlebotomist experienced or not. 6 vials is not excessive and the tourniquet is left in place so the blood flows. I have been a nurse for 35 years so I can speak from experience. Must say I get tired of "let's sue" if anything goes wrong. See the neurologist to see if they can help. I had a blood draw that hit a nerve and it felt like an electric shock, bruised and hurt for a couple weeks. Never entered my mind to be mad or sue.