Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee - Does the Matcha tea powder have a bitter taste that needs to be overcome by adding it to something with a stronger, and more pleasant taste?

Honored Contributor

Re: Black and Green Tea

[ Edited ]

@Jersey Born wrote:

@SilleeMee - Does the Matcha tea powder have a bitter taste that needs to be overcome by adding it to something with a stronger, and more pleasant taste?

@Jersey Born 

Most matcha is somewhat bitter. Just to be clear, there are two types of matcha. One is ceremonial grade and the other is ingredient or culinary grade (most common). Ceremonial grade is smooth, has little or no bitterness and is meant to mix with good quality water only. Ingredient grade is bitter, can be mixed into anything and is generally less expensive than ceremonial grade. Good for smoothies, baking...that sort of thing.

So to answer your question...yes and no. Just depends on the grade,  on what you mix it with and also the quality of water you use. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee For years and years I could not drink tea. Always told that it is good for you, so I would try different brand, but didn't like anything I tried, especially green tea.

Then I spent three weeks in Japan and every single place where I ordered green tea, it was something I could stomach; it was nice and soothing to me. I was in several different homes where it was made for me, and always with a good outcome.

The only brand I can handle in the United States now is the herbal teas from Tea Forte. Love those pyramid packets with the leaf on the end of the string. Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Black and Green Tea

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler 

In Japan ceremonial grade matcha is what they serve over there. It's the higher quality of matcha and it's smooth, not bitter. But here the stuff costs a lot so people don't buy it as much or it's sold as a blend with other things in it to reduce the cost.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've been drinking pure (green tea) matcha since I can remember. I grew up drinking that kind of green tea. It's good for me. I take about 10 grams of the pure matcha powder everyday mixed in with my green drink.

This is the one I take. It's 100% pure Japanese matcha:

download.jpg

I bought green tea powder and tried it once and threw up instantly. I tried it again a week or so later and the same happened, I believe it is just too strong for me. I didn't even use as much as suggested the second time I tried it. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee The best tea there was made for a small group of us by a monk. He was explaining how to make it and then served us. Was quite humbling to have a monk make tea for you. If I can find the photo I took of him doing that I will post it. He lived up on a cliff and we climbed many steps to get to him.

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 - It might be the tannins in the tea.  So sorry you had such a yucky experience.  Nausea is no fun at all.

Respected Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@Lali1 - It might be the tannins in the tea.  So sorry you had such a yucky experience.  Nausea is no fun at all.

Thank you. I wasn't nauseous for long, it was almost like taking ipecac. I was kinda upset about having a whole bag of the stuff and couldn't use it. And with my experience no one else wanted it either. Never had the problem with tea bags. 

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@SilleeMee The best tea there was made for a small group of us by a monk. He was explaining how to make it and then served us. Was quite humbling to have a monk make tea for you. If I can find the photo I took of him doing that I will post it. He lived up on a cliff and we climbed many steps to get to him.

@World Traveler 

Wow! That sounds wonderful. I would love to see your photo.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee When I get home from work, I will find them and post. Smiley Happy