Esteemed Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

Anything can have a downside, @skatting44 , but if there are no contraindications to drinking tea, tea drinking should be just fine.

It is strange that Web Med indicates that green tea "might slow blood clotting", because  Green tea contains Vitamin K, which clots the blood, and, "Green tea is included in a list by Mayo Clinic's Sheldon Sheps, M.D., of foods to avoid while taking the blood thinning medication warfarin due to its high content of vitamin K, which has blood clotting effects that may counteract the blood thinning effects of warfarin. The average daily allowance of vitamin K for men is 120 mcg and for women 90 mcg. On the contrary, information provided by St. Luke's Family Practice indicates that brewed green tea contains negligible amounts of vitamin K. Consult your doctor to determine if green tea is appropriate for your health situation."  That quote comes from The Effects of Green Tea on Blood Clotting at Livestrong dot com 

Seems that the effects of green tea on warfarin, at least may depend upon the amount of tea consumed. 

Risks versus benefits should always be weighed, and medical professionals should be consulted when in doubt.  I guess the question is how much tea affects the medications in question, and the use of the word "might" in the first sentence of the quote you provided from WebMD makes me wonder why this has not been fully tested in medical research, if there is such concern about green tea.  Tea is one of the most popular drinks in the world.

Quote which ever source you like. My point was that everything  one consumes may have an effect . Be educated .  I only  provided a quote  from  webmed . I work with patients at a free health clinic for the uninsured and underinsured  . My experience is that I've worked with some  patients who were using alot of homeopathic remedies who  needed education abt what they were using that interact with  prescribed traditional medications . Many of these interactions are listed in a Nurse  Medication handbook  . This is standard nursing care . I always ask and document any of their homeopathic remedies so that the  Medical Team is aware to provide further guidance to the patient.

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 - Your point is noted.  My point was that there is a lot of inconsistency from website to website as to what makes a particular natural product medically dangerous, and how much of a product might make it dangerous to a person.

Tea compounds are typically healthy for people if they are not allergic to it, or are not drinking so much of it that it becomes toxic to them.  Some medications interact badly with natural products, as well.  

For many people around the world, tea is considered beneficial for health, with its anti-viral properties.  It is soothing to ingest a hot drink like tea on a cold day, too. 

I have found yet another study about how the compounds in black and green tea could be important against SARS-CoV-2: "Plant-derived natural polyphenols as potential antiviral drugs against SARS-CoV-2 via RNA‐dependent RNA polymerase (RdRp) inhibition: an in-silico analysis": "Overall, our results suggest that EGCG, TF2a, TF2b, TF3 can inhibit RdRp and represent an effective therapy for COVID-19."

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07391102.2020.1796810

It is important to note that we are in a pandemic, so if there is something readily available and incredibly inexpensive that might help us protect ourselves from the harms of this deadly virus, we should consider it.  I'll be honest. I haven't been reading much in the news about an epidemic of deaths around the world from overenthusiastic tea ingestion, but I sure have been hearing a lot about the deaths around the world from COVID-19 illness.

Honored Contributor

Green tea is killing my stomach. I recently bought a box of organic green tea and every time I drink it my stomach really hurts. More so, than coffee, which I drink with milk. I was surprised by this. 

Respected Contributor

We are all different @Mindy D.  Someone close to me was having stomach problems from coffee, and since switching to tea, feels much better.  

Perhaps try a totally different brand of it, as soil nutrients vary and so do the compounds in the tea, or switch to black tea, which (I think) tastes great with milk.

Honored Contributor

I only take matcha after I have eaten. Having food in my stomach helps digest my supplements, too. I never take supps on an empty stomach, except for collagen powder.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@skatting44 - Your point is noted.  My point was that there is a lot of inconsistency from website to website as to what makes a particular natural product medically dangerous, and how much of a product might make it dangerous to a person.

Tea compounds are typically healthy for people if they are not allergic to it, or are not drinking so much of it that it becomes toxic to them.  Some medications interact badly with natural products, as well.  

For many people around the world, tea is considered beneficial for health, with its anti-viral properties.  It is soothing to ingest a hot drink like tea on a cold day, too. 

I have found yet another study about how the compounds in black and green tea could be important against SARS-CoV-2: "Plant-derived natural polyphenols as potential antiviral drugs against SARS-CoV-2 via RNA‐dependent RNA polymerase (RdRp) inhibition: an in-silico analysis": "Overall, our results suggest that EGCG, TF2a, TF2b, TF3 can inhibit RdRp and represent an effective therapy for COVID-19."

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/07391102.2020.1796810

It is important to note that we are in a pandemic, so if there is something readily available and incredibly inexpensive that might help us protect ourselves from the harms of this deadly virus, we should consider it.  I'll be honest. I haven't been reading much in the news about an epidemic of deaths around the world from overenthusiastic tea ingestion, but I sure have been hearing a lot about the deaths around the world from COVID-19 illness.

I do not understand why you  keep thinking I  was  knocking black or green tea.I did not say never drink it or ban from one's diet .

My point only was   Just be educated  and consult your Doctor f you have  specific medical conditions or are on medication.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand why you think I am bashing you, either, @skatting44.   

You are entiled to post whatever you wish.  I was merely responding to your posts.  

Have a wonderful evening.  

Trusted Contributor
Brassica tea prevents breast cancer recurrence. That's straight from Johns Hopkins.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee Per my earlier post, here are some of the photos of the monk who served us tea in Japan. We had to climb quite a bit to get up to his place on the side of a cliff. He was stirring my tea for me.

Also posted a couple of photos of one of the homes I was in, where the couple (in their 90's!) showed us how to make tea and the various forms of tea.

Japan monk.jpg

Monk mixing tea.jpg

Monk serving tea.jpg

Japanese Couple with tea.jpg

Japan tea types.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Black and Green Tea

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler 

How fantastic! That woman looks like my mom! She was born in Kyoto.

Where were those pics taken?

Thank you for sharing.