Contributor

Black Cohosh & Menopause Woes

The hot flashes are "on" daily, and I've tried Black Cohosh to quell them. Product is from Sprouts Supermarket (brand), 500 mg. Some brands have 20 mg. 2x per day. Confusing!

Hot flashes began to subside, then I started with nosebleeds. I have dr's appt. next week but wondered, in the meantime, what's your experience with BC? How much to take? Helpful to you?

Thanks for helping me cool off!

Valued Contributor

Re: Black Cohosh & Menopause Woes

My doctor told me that there is only one brand she recommends - Remifemin - because it's standardized and was tested in Europe in clinical trials for 50+ years or so before being approved/sold in the U.S. That's the only brand I take - one tab in morning and one tab in evening. Each tab is 20 mg. The doctor told me she recommends that brand for various reasons, including the fact that it's not mixed with soy or other ingredients. It's just pure, standardized black cohosh. Clinical info on Remifemin here.

I've had great success taking Remefemin to stop the night time hot "flushes" I started getting. A friend who has really bad daytime hot flashes said hers were cut at least in half, if not more, after starting Remifemin. (She did not have the same success with Estroven brand - one that contains soy.) It does take a couple of weeks or so before you notice lessened flashes.

Honored Contributor

Eating a yam a day worked for me for hot flashes. It was recommended by my doctor.

Occasional Contributor

I began getting hot flashes on my 49th birthday in mid August (the story of my life! LOL) and suffered through them until the end of August when my co-teaching partner suggested standardized Black Cohosh. I take 40mg in the morning and in the evening and at least for me, my hot flashes were eliminated! I don't think you need to spend a ridiculous amount of $ on high priced or purportedly "high quality" Black Cohosh. CVS has a couple of standardized brands that work just fine for me, they go on sale 2 for 1 quite regularly, and I don't have to break the bank!

Super Contributor

Stewart 20, I had experienced 2 hot flashes, over 10 years ago, that were induced by Mexican food as well as Italian (spicy sausage in the lasagna sauce). {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I knew I was in Perimenopause (bi-monthly periods), so I searched out "replacements" by reading a lot of the labels...

I have been taking OTC Estroven for 10 years. I buy the generic kind at CVS, and it's usually on sale with a BOGO so I get 2 months for about $15.99. I get the "extra strength" and I've not had a hot flash since taking them. I do take one every night after dinner when I have food in my stomach. Several years ago, the makers of Estroven added Melatonin to their formulas but they left me feeling too groggy in the mornings. That's when I discovered CVS's that does not have the Melatonin in them. They work like a charm so the combinations of Vits., minerals, and the black cohosh (80 mg.) work very well with my body chemistry. I'm so relieved that I never had to go down that HRT route... {#emotions_dlg.scared} I highly recommend them to everyone going through Peri- and Post- Menopause that are experiencing the flashes and night sweats, along with that "PMS feeling" (occasional moodiness) that seems to linger at times after 'the change'.

Honored Contributor

I had wanted to take it long-term but had to stop, since the longer you take it the higher your blood pressure numbers become.

As I already have HBP, that was that.

So I take evening primrose oil instead (500 mg 3x/daily), for my night sweats and hot flashes.

It really helps, plus has the added bonus of improving your skin. 8)

But if you wish to try another brand, please get the original black cohosh supplement from Germany, "Remifemin".

Regular Contributor

I have been taking Estroven Maximum Strength(one a day) for almost a year now since Peri menopause has come into my life. It has dramatically reduced my hot flashes and night sweats. They only happen occasionally where they were happening multiple times a day as well as every single night for most of the night. Before I started taking it I asked my gyno about it. He said it was not proven to work but some people swear it helps. So I tried it and there have been two occasions since I started that I stopped taking it and the flashes and night sweats came back in full force. I am hoping that in another few months I can stop it to see where I am at. I am hoping mine takes a break and I am not one of these people going through this for ten years. For right now I will not be without it. I could not live the way I was living as it was taking a toll on me emotionally as well as physically. When I first tried it I told myself I would give it one month on it to see if it helped. I saw results in around three weeks.

Regular Contributor

On 1/2/2015 maryebrown said:

Stewart 20, I had experienced 2 hot flashes, over 10 years ago, that were induced by Mexican food as well as Italian (spicy sausage in the lasagna sauce). {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I knew I was in Perimenopause (bi-monthly periods), so I searched out "replacements" by reading a lot of the labels...

I have been taking OTC Estroven for 10 years. I buy the generic kind at CVS, and it's usually on sale with a BOGO so I get 2 months for about $15.99. I get the "extra strength" and I've not had a hot flash since taking them. I do take one every night after dinner when I have food in my stomach. Several years ago, the makers of Estroven added Melatonin to their formulas but they left me feeling too groggy in the mornings. That's when I discovered CVS's that does not have the Melatonin in them. They work like a charm so the combinations of Vits., minerals, and the black cohosh (80 mg.) work very well with my body chemistry. I'm so relieved that I never had to go down that HRT route... {#emotions_dlg.scared} I highly recommend them to everyone going through Peri- and Post- Menopause that are experiencing the flashes and night sweats, along with that "PMS feeling" (occasional moodiness) that seems to linger at times after 'the change'.

There are several different Estroven formulas. The one you are taking about is for Night Time. There is one for Weight Management, Extra Energy, Night Time and a few more. The only one I have ever tried is the Extra Strength for Menopause. I got a free sample of the one with melatonin in it but threw it away because I was afraid I would accidentally take it instead of the regular pills. I was afraid of taking something with melatonin in the morning which is when I take my pill.

Honored Contributor

Quit eating meat for the duration. You don't need the extra hormones.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I tried black cohash when I first started having meno symptoms and ended up having lots of problems and 2 procedures. My gyno about fell over when I told her what I was taking. She said it's horrible and never to touch it again.

I ended up going through peri-menopause and menopause without any drugs, OTC or other. It wasn't all that bad. I kept damp cool towels in my desk at work for several years. I wore layers so I could take off clothes whenever I wanted. I learned how to dress lightly in all kinds of weather. I remember stepping outside in the snow and cold several winters. Thank goodness for the ceiling fan over my bed!

But it wasn't all that bad. I'm really glad I didn't go for hormone therapy or other OTC meds.

They now make all kinds of products to help women....even cooling pads to put in your pillow cases, bedding, etc., that weren't available 10 years ago.

It's all part of life for a woman. For a whole lot of women, it's how we look at it instead of how bad it is.