New Contributor

Re: Black Bean Noodles at Costco

Hello all- Not sure where the info about these being soy black beans is coming from but I recently purchased these from Costco. I just went on Explore Asian's website to get the facts straight. Please everyone check their website before stating these are made from soy. This link takes you to their FAQs page for that specific info http://www.explore-asian.com/faq/

Can you tell me if your black bean pasta is made with black beans or black soy beans?
Our black beans do not contain soy, but we do process soybeans in our facility. The extrusion process of the black bean takes place on a separate machine, but the drying tunnel is the same. We do our upmost to make sure that there is no cross contamination.
The protein in your bean pasta is high and the carb is very reasonable/low. How is that? We are addressing this issue on our next print run of packaging. Now, the carbs count does not include the fibers. According to US labeling law, our carbs count should include the fibers and, therefore, the number will obviously be higher. Stay tuned for our updated print run (for our notes.. what is the real carb count and when will the packaging be updated?)

Even on the packaging, if there were any soy in these it would be stated as such not only under the ingredients but also under allergens since it is an allergen to many people. It does state for allergy reasons that this product is manufactured in a plant that processes soy beans, NOT that it contains soy. So for all of us that prefer to not consume soy, this is a safe product as it is not made from soy beans but rather from plain ol' black beans.

PS- About the protein levels in question Happy Elizabeth...under the link for their FAQs, it addresses that as well.

Happy and healthy eating everyone!

Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 suga9 said:

Hello all- Not sure where the info about these being soy black beans is coming from but I recently purchased these from Costco. I just went on Explore Asian's website to get the facts straight. Please everyone check their website before stating these are made from soy. This link takes you to their FAQs page for that specific info http://www.explore-asian.com/faq/

Can you tell me if your black bean pasta is made with black beans or black soy beans?
Our black beans do not contain soy, but we do process soybeans in our facility. The extrusion process of the black bean takes place on a separate machine, but the drying tunnel is the same. We do our upmost to make sure that there is no cross contamination.

These sound good. I'll have to get some to try.

On a related note, in reading the post above, I noticed for the second time in two days that someone (in this case, the representative of a large company) had used the word "upmost." I thought maybe I was the odd one for thinking it should have been utmost. I googled and found this (whew, I'm not crazy):{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

<h1 class="entry-title">Upmost vs. utmost</h1>

When you need an adjective meaning (1) of the highest or greatest degree or (2) most extreme, the word is utmost. When you need an adjective meaning situated at the top, highest, or most upward position, the word you’re looking for is upmost. The latter is an old, almost archaic word that now mostly appears where writers obviously mean utmost.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy these from the local Co-Op. They are the same ones that Cosco sells in bulk and they are made from black beans. They are higher in protein and lower in carbs than wheat pasta.

I use them in place of noodles for Italian, Thai and Chinese food that I make. They do have an "earthy" taste, but, like pasta, it gets camouflaged by the dish that it's in.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
New Contributor

On 6/24/2014 santorini said:
On 6/24/2014 suga9 said:

Can you tell me if your black bean pasta is made with black beans or black soy beans?<br /> Our black beans do not contain soy, but we do process soybeans in our facility. The extrusion process of the black bean takes place on a separate machine, but the drying tunnel is the same. We do our upmost to make sure that there is no cross contamination.

These sound good. I'll have to get some to try.

On a related note, in reading the post above, I noticed for the second time in two days that someone (in this case, the representative of a large company) had used the word "upmost." I thought maybe I was the odd one for thinking it should have been utmost. I googled and found this (whew, I'm not crazy):{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

<h1 class="entry-title">Upmost vs. utmost</h1>

When you need an adjective meaning (1) of the highest or greatest degree or (2) most extreme, the word is utmost. When you need an adjective meaning situated at the top, highest, or most upward position, the word you’re looking for is upmost. The latter is an old, almost archaic word that now mostly appears where writers obviously mean utmost.

Yes, it drove me nuts too as there are several grammatical errors on their site but I had to just copy and paste directly from the source so people could see the facts about the soy vs black bean to end further misinformation. I'm sure those details get lost in some translation, but should be checked by someone that knows for sure before posting to the world. These are delicious (albeit earthy tasting) and you can prepare them for cold or hot noodle dishes.

Honored Contributor

Hoping for THE TRUTH since I have a box waiting on my shelf. If they are soy, they will be heading for the Food Bank, but I will try them myself if they are black beans.