Respected Contributor
Some misinformation here, sorry. Many, many prescription drugs ARE bioidentical hormones and most are covered by insurance. If not, you can usually go to the manufacturers website and print a coupon for the brand. You can also use that coupon if covered by insurance and pay a lower co-pay. It's true that pellets and custom compounded creams and gels typically are not covered, but they are definitely not the only way to get bioidentical hormones anymore. A good website for information is www.hystersisters.com
Respected Contributor

Yes, Johnathan V Wright of the Tahoma Clinic in WA state.

He has the information on his website and pioneered this for men and women.

http://www.tahomaclinic.com/bioidentical-hormones/

Valued Contributor
My post, #3, is not misinformation. It is my personal experience with HRT. There are obviously several routes to take, but this has been mine. Posted to be helpful and provide one point of view. HTH
Regular Contributor
http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/bioidenticalhormonebreastcancer.html i found this letter very interesting, it is a response to oprah's show on hrt...especially about the dosing of hormones given to women. I am also concerned with anything attached to pharm companies. I think i will begin with the rocky mountain reference a poster made above.
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/3/2015 Jbar said:

Bio identical hormones are prescribed by a doctor and prepared by a compounding pharmacy.

This was the method I used, too. I have a great compounding pharmacist and trust my dr.

I gave it a go and unfortunately, bioidenticals are not for me. I felt worse with them than without them. In all fairness, I also have an auto immune disorder so that may be the bigger issue.

Contributor

Interesting thread. Thanks for the information.

Super Contributor

I've read a lot of health books and also one directly related to hormones. The information I received is that if you do go on HRT, just have the doctor prescribe the lowest dose possible to see how you do on that. Also, I would only go on them if I had a lot of menopausal symptoms. Right now the only one I have is an insomnia issue that I think is hormone related. If I can't get it worked out, I will definitely try HRT - but other than not sleeping I don't have any major complaints. I'm 53. I'm also going to try Maca from Femmenessence (again) to see if that helps since I read it does actually regulate your estrogen levels. Good luck to you!

Respected Contributor
On 4/4/2015 Klm said: My post, #3, is not misinformation. It is my personal experience with HRT. There are obviously several routes to take, but this has been mine. Posted to be helpful and provide one point of view. HTH
I never said your post was misinformation and I think my post makes that clear when I said custom compounded creams or gels typically are not covered by insurance. Sorry if it came across that way. I said "some misinformation" not "all". Another thing to note..the reason I suggested hystersisters is you can find tons of real life questions and answers about various types of HRT. It's very informative and you don't have to have had a hysterectomy to gain insight to HRT. They do have a resources section as well.
Valued Contributor
Reba055, I didn't think you meant me in particular, and I did catch what you wrote about compounded HRT and insurance. I thought, after reading your post, that I should clarify that my experience is just that. I try when I post to write only about what I know from my own experience and never want to mislead or misinform, provided I receive some tolerance for my bad memory. LOL
Respected Contributor

There's a lot of misinformation and scamming out there.  My endocrinologist said that bioidentical hormones are hard to do and and very, very expensive and there's no science that documents any benefits.  No, a doctor can't just prescribe them or give them to you.  They are unique to your body, based on your body's chemistry.  A compounding pharmacy takes a sputum sample from you and customizes the hormones. It's expensive, insurance doesn't cover it.  You have to put your faith in the compounding pharmacy and many of them are less than scrupulous.