Frequent Contributor

Re: Bicycle Recommendations Please!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!  My reason for not buying a bike from T or W is if im going to spend over 400 dollars for a good bike, it needs to come from a reputable bike shop, not online, that is local to the Sacramento area that will stand behind the bike and can handle repairs if need be. I did in fact this afternoon by an Electra Townie in coral. Its 7 gears, and fits the needs that I am looking for at this stage of my life. I understand from all the research I have done this past month, they are very reputable, extremely comfortable, hold their value if taken care of, and a joy to ride. I get the bike on Friday, can not wait!!!  Thank you again for all of your fine suggestions!!  MJ

Honored Contributor

@kislandlover wrote:

I now ride a recumbent trike (2 wheels in the front and one in back).  It is incredibly comfortable and great exercise.  I couldn't balance on my two-wheeler after several serious health issues.  I rode 15 miles yesterday with no problems.   It's like riding in a recliner!  I wouldn't go back to a traditional if I could.

Note: My 80 year-old-mother-in-law had both knees replaced, and she also rides one on the bike trails. She gets her excersize, talks to people on the trail, and enjoys the weather and the wildlife!

@kislandlover, what brand is your recumbent trike?

Honored Contributor

@MILKI, I want to post a warning without seeming too negative.  I had a knee replaced in 2008.  I bought a gorgeous Townie bike because of the flat-footed technology.  I was eager to get back into shape.

Unfortunately, I managed to fall almost as soon as I got the bike and shattered the top part of my humerus and ended up with a shoulder replacement.  Make sure your legs are strong before heading off on that bikeSmiley Happy

Contributor

@tansy, mine is a Trident Trike; model name SPIKE.  It sits up a little higher and more upright than the recumbents that look like you are laying down.  I love it and hope others give it a try!

Honored Contributor

@kislandlover wrote:

@tansy, mine is a Trident Trike; model name SPIKE.  It sits up a little higher and more upright than the recumbents that look like you are laying down.  I love it and hope others give it a try!

That trike looks like some serious fun!  I just watched a video on it and how it folds to transport.  ThanksSmiley Happy

@kislandlover

Contributor

After being diagnoised with rapid on-set of osteoporosis this is how I ride. Husband also has a trike. We stick mostly to trails.  Some people think it's easier to ride a recumbent trike but it's not. It's a great work out. me on trike.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Pekoecat wrote:

After being diagnoised with rapid on-set of osteoporosis this is how I ride. Husband also has a trike. We stick mostly to trails.  Some people think it's easier to ride a recumbent trike but it's not. It's a great work out. me on trike.jpg

@Pekoecat, isn't that hard to get up from with your OA?  

Contributor

Not at all. I'm very mobile.  My drs. biggest concern was me falling off my "normal" bike.

@tansy wrote:

@Pekoecat wrote:

@Pekoecat, isn't that hard to get up from with your OA?  

Not at all. I'm very mobile.  My drs. biggest concern was me falling off my "normal" bike.

Honored Contributor

Here's another balance solution.

Adult training wheels. FYI

image.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@qwarkster wrote:

Trek has a line of bikes designed to fit the female body and weight distribution not just heighth.  They make many different models.  They are pricey however.  You might google "bikes for women" because other brands make bikes for women.  I just have experience with Trek.

@MILKI, I could not agree with @qwarkster more. I am your age, overweight, and generally not a great athlete. Several years ago I bought one of the made for women Trek Hybrids.  I absolutely love it.  I also have a Schwinn Suburban which is so heavy, a Giant mountain bike which does not suit me but I got it for free and I have a Huffy cruiser in AZ.  The Trek is the only one that is a pleasure to ride.  It is one of the lower priced ones in the Trek line and well worth the extra.  The Huffy is very difficult to ride and I am strong.  I also just had knee surgery and my doctor really likes bike riding as a rehab exercise.  The other thing about buying a good bike is the frame will be fit to your size. This is important especially if you are on the short side as I am .  Hope this helps.