Respected Contributor

Just heard on the news that the Virus has a tendency to stick to metallic surfaces including coins more so than paper and fabric.  So please do not touch coins or if you must thoroughly wash hands with soap and hot water.  I told my family if you are out shopping just reject gettiny any change back in coins, Its simply not worth the risk right now.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beware of coins

[ Edited ]

Metals - your car door handle - grocery carts - door knobs - your car keys - the knobs on the machine when you buy lottery tickets or get a chew of gum.  Metal not just on coins.

Germs get traded back and forth on everything

Just wash your hands  and keep hands off face

And if that scared.............use a credit card!

Esteemed Contributor

Great reminder. I think I'll decline change. I usually use debit card but mine was compromised and new card should arrive tomorrow. Three times in the past month Google youtube charged me $49.99 and in a separate account - hubs' credit union -- hit him once for $49.99. We never requested Google youtube services. Bank told me they would reimburse after checking into fraud but also said a lot of active hackers during this time since hackers are aware fixing the problem isn't as easy as walking into your bank. I waited on the phone with bank for 1 hour today. Everyone beware and carefully check your online banking debit withdrawals. Evil lurks... 

Back to metal -- I took off all jewelry during this time.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Metals - your car door handle - grocery carts - door knobs - your car keys - the knobs on the machine when you buy lottery tickets or get a chew of gum.  Metal not just on coins.

Germs get traded back and forth on everything

Just wash your hands  and keep hands off face

And if that scared.............use a credit card!

Yes!!  What about  fridge, stove, faucets...on and on.  Metal is everywhere. This woman is going to drive herself crazy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BeautyLver And paper bills are  dirtier. Drug residue - um things we can't print here.........and you can't wash it.  At least with coins you can use hot water and a disinfectant.

Respected Contributor

Re: Beware of coins

[ Edited ]

What about your rings, bracelets, necklaces and earrings? Years ago when I was in nursing school we were taught that these things harbor germs. Back then, working in the hospital, we were only allowed to wear stud earrings, a plain wedding band(nothing ornate,no engagement rings) necklace, out of sight, under uniform, no bracelets and a plain watch(use to be necessary for vitals). I stopped wearing my jewelry when this started. 

We also weren't allowed long nails for the same reason. 😕

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Just heard on the news that the Virus has a tendency to stick to metallic surfaces including coins more so than paper and fabric.  So please do not touch coins or if you must thoroughly wash hands with soap and hot water.  I told my family if you are out shopping just reject gettiny any change back in coins, Its simply not worth the risk right now.

@ReeverCoins can be easily disinfected. With a glove, push them into a ziploc and disinfect them later. Lysol, bleach solution or any of the other disinfectants recommended by the CDC should work. It's good that you brought this up. Don't forget. Wash your hands.😷😷😷

Honored Contributor

I can't remember the last time I used actual currency for anything.  

I usually keep about $50 cash but haven't had to go to an atm in months. 

Honored Contributor

Money is dirty, and always something that is harboring bacteria or virus. 

When this first started, I thought I'd just use credit (tend to be a cash user, it helps me control my spending better), but that really isn't much better, having to touch the key pads, sign the screens with the pens etc. 

We always keep cash at home, so for the very little we are going to stores right now, I'm taking old cash that we have had in the house for months (before this virus hit), making sure I have lots of small bills and change and paying in cash, getting no change, and skipping the germy terminals.

I also thought when this started, just ordering online for as much as possible was going to work, but they suggest packages be left outside for 24 hours, as the virus can live on the cardboard that long, and the stuff in the package was handled by people at the warehouse, and should be disinfected as you bring it in as well. 

Nothing about this easy, is it?

Respected Contributor

they said all money Smiley Sad   

scary how long virus can last on surfaces of many kinds!!