Honored Contributor

My DH has been diagnosed with beginning stages of glaucoma and was started on beta blocker eye drops - one drop in each eye twice a day. Beta blockers are a class of drugs that are often used to lower BP and pulse rates and are very effective at doing so. As a side effect of his eye drops my DH's BP & heart rate have really dropped - to the point where I told him he should not take his BP meds while he is using these drops. Has this happened to anyone here while they are using beta blocker drops? The reason I wonder is that I have not seen him put these drops in , I have emphasized to him the importance of only using ONE DROP but I know from seeing him put allergy drops in the past he holds his eye open and squeezes the bottle of drops until it floods his eye.I asked him to allow me to put in these drops for him but he got mad and said he is perfectly capable of giving himself one drop in each eye - however, I doubt that if he was doing only one drop that it would be potent enough to lower his BP & HR. So, before I take them away from him and make a fuss over him overdosing himself - does any one else experience dropping BP when taking beta blocker eye drops as prescribed? he is going back to the eye doctor in 2 weeks.

Super Contributor

I had to use eyedrops for a year. I was worried about putting in too little or too much as it is hard to tell when you are doing it yourself and sometimes the drops hit your face instead of your eyes. I checked on the internet and found out that your eyes can really only hold one drop. If you put in more, the extra one will just come out. I have heard a great deal about the beta blockers for glaucoma. I have been told by a doctor that if you use that drug, your blood pressure and heart rate must be closely monitored. If I were you, I would check with your husband's primary doctor as soon as possible, to see what he says. I have found, in my experience, that some eye doctors don't stop to consider what some of these eye drops can do to the rest of your system.

Honored Contributor

I dont use eye drops, I do take a beta blocker pill for heart palps. My eye doc always double checks me for glaucoma since he says I could have it, and the beta blocker is masking it, so I assume this could work both ways. My Mom had glaucoma, she used the drops and was also on a beta blocker pill for her BP, never had any problems.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor
Will your husband ""allow""you to take his medication away from him?
Honored Contributor
On 11/15/2014 Rainbow Girl said:

I had to use eyedrops for a year. I was worried about putting in too little or too much as it is hard to tell when you are doing it yourself and sometimes the drops hit your face instead of your eyes. I checked on the internet and found out that your eyes can really only hold one drop. If you put in more, the extra one will just come out. I have heard a great deal about the beta blockers for glaucoma. I have been told by a doctor that if you use that drug, your blood pressure and heart rate must be closely monitored. If I were you, I would check with your husband's primary doctor as soon as possible, to see what he says. I have found, in my experience, that some eye doctors don't stop to consider what some of these eye drops can do to the rest of your system.

Thanks, this is what I needed to know. His BP today was 104/68 and his HR was 60 so I will just keep an eye on them. I don't know why he picks some of the oddest things to get all cantankerous about - and this is one he picked.He absolutely will not let me give him those drops, or even watch him put them in.I told him to not take his BP pill as the drops are doing it for him and he at least agreed about that.

Esteemed Contributor

Did the physician that prescribed these drops ask if your husband was on any other meds?

I would call the pharmacy to get an answer before Monday.

Just a thought...

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor
Some blood pressure medications should not be stopped abruptly.
Respected Contributor
What a surprising thread. As a nurse, I would think that you would be aware that the only one qualified to adjust medications would be the patient's personal physician. In addition, beta blockers are not used as often to control glaucoma because there are newer drugs that do not affect the patient systemically.
Valued Contributor

I would have thought that the prescribing physician would know what other prescriptions he's taking; that information should be in his chart.

When I go for my annual vision checkup, I'm asked to complete and update all meds that I am taking as that can easily change.

IMO I wouldn't be making any decisions until talking with the physician.