Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best thing for cuts and scrapes

@LdyBugz wrote:

@Kitty Galore  Geez!  Hope you aren't hurting too much.  How about this........

BTN-512.jpg

Wow Bactinebis an oldie but goodie!  My mom always used that on our cuts and scrapes!  I'll send my DH out to pick some up.   Could use some pain relief , and would rather use this then taking Advil  or something.  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

If it was me I would apply tea tree oil. That's what I use for all cuts/scrapes. It will take the bite out if it's stinging or it does for me.

I may apply tea tree once the cuts close a bit.  Right now not sure if would be good.  Thank you

Honored Contributor

I use clear aloe gel on EVERYTHING..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I use Bacitracin, it's the only antibiotic oilment I keep on hand.  For a non antibiotic needs I use Aquaphor Healing Ointment in the small jar.

Honored Contributor

Start with an anti-bacterial cream, then Original A+ D ointment.

@Kitty Galore

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I use Bacitracin, it's the only antibiotic oilment I keep on hand.  For a non antibiotic needs I use Aquaphor Healing Ointment in the small jar.

@aubnwa01. I hsve the aquaphor by. Eucerin and have already put it on and then put a non stick bandage.   I remembered that when I had a  minor cat scratch it worked great! No scar either!    

That is what I have decided after considering all other treatments.  I may pick up some aloe Vera gel tomorrow as well.  I take the drink that I get com the health food store.  Aloe really heals well.

thanks for the replies Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore

Depends on the depth and length of a cut. First thing I always do is get the blood to clot. From there I wrap it in ice to keep it from swelling, which involves more tissue. Unless really deep, I put Neosporin, or something similar, and bandage it up.

Scrapes. Just make sure I clean them well, and if necessary, put a bandaid on it. Right now my legs have 5 bandaids from scrapes and scratches. Always seem to hit something with my legs and many times reopen previous cuts and/or scratches.

I don't get too excited with these things now that I am no longer on Coumadin/Warfarin blood thinners. Has to be pretty serious before I think I have to get medical care.

Has worked for me for many injuries, which included lots of cuts, lots of blood. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

On Christmas day of last year, I got a really nice pocket knife.

Of course I had to open the blade.

W I went to close it, the blade came down faster than I had anticipated, and my index finger got in the way of the blade, and I sustained a pretty bad cut, and I mean it bled.

I rinsed the cut under running water, which did hurt, but I wanted to cleanse the wound.

I then put a couple of Band-Aids on top of it.

The next day, I bought isopropal alcohol 91% concentration, and Bactine.

Once home, I cleaned the wound with the alcohol, and then with the Bactine.

I kept the wound covered with a Band-Aid, and kept cleaning and bandaging the wound on a daily basis.

As it healed, I put Neosporin on it.

A month later, I had no scar, but it wouldn't have bothered me if it had, as I have two large scars on my left forearm from when I broke my arm in 1985, and had to have surgery to implant plates and screws, and a year later had it removed.

I am not embarrassed or ashamed of my scars.

I think that it's just plain silly to feel that way about scars. I mean, just look at women who survived breast cancer and had their breast(s) removed, or people who have had reconstruction surgeries for any number of things, burn victims, are (all) of them embarrassed or ashamed of their scars?

Some may be, but a lot are not.

So, if they are not embarrassed or ashamed of their scars, why in the world would I be embarrassed or ashamed of my few scars?

It's just like there's no reason to feel "humiliated" over falling.

So you fell.

So what?

Did the world end because you did?

I can assure you that every adult has fallen at least once.

It's no big deal.

It's nothing to feel embarrassed about.

It happens, life goes on.

Even with scars.

Honored Contributor

Sorry about your fall but glad you didn't get seriously injured!  Clean well and often with soap and water and maybe a bit of alcohol.  Just to make sure the spots don't get infected.  Try the CeraVe healing ointment.  After it is starting to heal up pretty well, you can use Mederma for the scar issue.  I have used it multiple times and it really does help.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@corita wrote:

I fell several years ago and really cut up my knee -- blood running down my leg!  

ER doctor told me NOT to use Neosporin . She suggested that there are better ointments out there and recommended Bacitracin.  Did not have any scarring...

When battling cancer there was an open weeping sore where I needed to use an ointment and I was told the same thing - don't use Neosporin, I needed a polysporin and that was Bacitracin.  If you can't use Neosporin you may not be able to use Bacitracin either but I'd ask.  Scarring is something I never think about or worry about - I've had a ton of surgeries over the years and tons of scars - I just consider those to as my battle scars - they are what they are!