Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best swim suit? Be gentle

I went to the pool all summer. No one judges-all have our flaws.

Another vote for Tankini's. I had one from D&Co. that was both comfortable and flattering on my plus size self. I have other one piece D&Co. suits as well They are modest in design and cut. Most are sold out at this point. Also recomment LE. Tons of choices and sizes. Enjoy!

Contributor

hydrochic.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I am 66 and work as the Red Cross certified lifeguard at our local rec pool during adult swimming and exercise time in the early morning.  I see all ages, sizes, and shapes.  No one judges each other because everyone is there for wellness and fitness.  

These are the brands I recommend:  Lands End, Maxine of Hollywood, and Longitude.  Check ebay if you don't want to pay full price.  Swim Outlet dot com is another good source for swimsuits for us mature women.  

Get in the pool!  It feels great!

Frequent Contributor

Someone mentioned Swimsuits for All but didn't make it plural so it might just take a moment longer to find them on line.  My friend just ordered 4 there, as we swim at an indoor pool all year, which the OP may be planning.  They carry loads of chlorine resistant suits, which are a necessity indoors, with the heavy chlorine.  They are doing 50% off right now, and still have a good assortment, including many modest styles.  

At our gym (Motion Picture facility in Woodland Hills, CA) all shapes mingle.  No one is looking; we're all there to improve our quality of life, and maybe extend life, too.

When I had an abdominal obstruction, followed by C-diff 4 years ago, the doctors said I probably wouldn't have survived, were it not for being in good shape for my age from the swimming.  So go for it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So many good suggestions!

The one thing I would recommend from personal experience:

Get a suit with good bust support.

No matter what your bust size, it just feels better when 

the upper torso is supported.  Anything below the bust,

it’s all the same.

The pool area is a No-Judgement Zone.

Get that suit & jump in!!

Esteemed Contributor

Sometime in my 40s a great-aunt showed me that a one-piece and an attitude go far.

I would caution that a skirt can float out and be a bother.  Shorts work well.

A high school swim team takes over the deep end sometimes and it is mind blowing to think we once had a butt like that.  

Esteemed Contributor

I love my swim dress.  The skirt is kind to the lower half.

As others have recommended, Lands End has a nice selection, but so does QVC.

My 83 year old Mom just started swimming.  She's shy about the whole thing but each time it gets easier!  She has lots of aches and pains and the time spent weightless in the water is something she delights in.  It's great low impact exercise.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

How about board shorts and a rashguard?  That'd keep you covered but comfy.  Good luck I hope you enjoy the swimming.

Regular Contributor

Athleta.com

Esteemed Contributor

I highly recommend a suit I bought from Vermont Country Store.  The upper body coverage is good, and I selected the model that they describe as having “shorts,” but in reality it’s just a bit more of modesty coverage.  The material is kind of puckery and is attractive and evens you out just a bit.  Despite much use, my suit hasn’t faded at all.  My PT recommended this suit to me, and many others asked where I got my suit.  Avoid skirts - they tend to float up and are a pain in the neck.