Respected Contributor

Re: Best swim suit? Be gentle

I am a plus sized woman and buy my items at JunoActive. Sizes run from xl to 6x.  Have purchased several sports bras from them recently......never thought I'd wear a sports bra at 65 years old!

Super Contributor

Thank you all for your great selection of responses and various supportive comments.  This swimming /swimsuit thing is a new goal of mine and I just can't seem to get over my shame.  I also color my hair and I'm concerned about wrecking that too.  Being a big baby.  But this forum is so powerful that I recently got a colonoscopy because of THAT  thread, so hopefully swimming will be more fun and healthy and enjoyable!   Keep the suit suggestions comings~  I have not bought one quite yet~~~

Honored Contributor

C2578885-F335-4D55-9F1F-FEA693DD5CC2.jpeg8D0E26DF-3A6D-4CF7-96F9-0111458643C8.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Helen Bach   Get the prettiest suit or two you can find.  I say at least two so that you can rotate them.  I rinse mine as soon as I've finished wearing it, especially when worn in a chlorinated pool and then I wash it by hand and air dry.  Keeps fabric strong and colors brighter.

As to your hair--get a swim cap--a real one, such as a pro swimmer would wear.  It will also help to keep water out of your ears.

I used to worry about my looks in a suit.  Always thought I looked "gawky" as a kid because I was always underweight.  Grew out of that notion in my early twenties.  No real bikini for me;  had one once, bottom came almost off in Long Island Sound--that was the end of that.

Have worn one-piece skirted or the two piece tankinis since.

I hope you will "take the plunge". and enjoy the pleasures of swimming.

By the way, don't cram yourself into a suit--get the proper size so that you are comfortable.  No one needs to look at, or know, the size on the tag except you.

Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago I went shopping to buy bras for my Mom (she was infirm, and not able to accompany me.  I showed the sports bras to my family before I took them to her and my 12 year old saw the pkg and asked "what is Grandmas sport?  I answered "keeping her boobs off her knees".  For those who haven't thought of it, sometimes this kind of bra is often easier to fit the elderly (I wear them) and many others.

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach 

I purchased this one and think it looks nice on.

A350545
Fit 4 U Laser-Cut V-Tiered Bandeau Romper
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~