Frequent Contributor

Re: Best natural treatment for a sore throat

Salt in warm water. Honey lozenges. Peroxide even diluted can cause damage.
Esteemed Contributor

I remember when I was reeeally little and stayed with my grandmother, she would paint my throat with that red liquid antibiotic -- mercurichrome??? Makes me gag just to think about it. (I learned very young to never tell my grandma when I had a sore throat)

Mom would give me honey and whiskey in a spoon or had me gargle with salt water -- much more pleasant. I don't remember if either one ever made my throat feel better.

These days I highly recommend Hall's cough drops (or the Kroger generic) - especially the methol kind that also clears up your sinuses. (not exactly "natural") Also sipping on hot beverages helps.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

For me it's always been Thayer's Slippery Elm lozenges and Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat tea.

Esteemed Contributor

No lie, when I was a kid and got bad sore throats..I'd have pockets of yellow yuck back there, disgusting I know, my Mother would boil the shredded bark from a white birch tree in some water. I don't remember for how long she boiled it but anyway after boiling she would strain out the liquid and it would look like tea. I'd gargle with it and it only took one gargling session to wipe the sore throat right out. Where she came up with this concoction for sore throats I have no clue but I do remember she always kept a small stash of it in the house. I also remember she was actually able to buy it at one of the drug stores in the small town in which I grew up. But that was a long long time ago and a person would probably get some strange looks if you asked for it at your local CVS or Walgreen's these days.