Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best natural treatment for a sore throat

On 11/8/2014 lovestoteach said:

oil of oregano is working for me... as a preventative.

I have some, how do you use it??

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

Romary, we always had Parke-Davis Throat Discs in the house. They aren't the same now (haven't tried the new formula). They had to take out the magic ingredient - chloroform! Now they have capsaicin pepper which is in so many things these days.

Regular Contributor

Please check with the pharmacist before gargling with hydrogen peroxide. It sounds incredibly severe Smiley Happy Please go to your doctor tomorrow to help rule out strep throat (bacterial infection). My co-worker's adult son had strep throat, and it went to his heart. Thankfully, he's still with us, but there's damage to his heart valve(s). It's crucial to rule that out.

With regard to some home remedies for a sore throat, I agree with gargling with very warm salt water. As far as lozenges, "cepacol" helps me a bit more than other brands. There is a sugar-free option, too. They have a numbing agent (benzocaine, in this situation) in addition to the menthol as opposed to other lozenges which may have more of the menthol than other ingredients. (I prefer the cherry-flavored one myself Smiley Wink

I've used those zinc lozenges (such as "cold-eeze"), and I believe that they help to reduce the duration and/or symptoms of a cold (virus). Please check with your pharmacist before using them, but they're supposed to be taken within the first 24-48 hours of cold symptoms. I believe that the directions also recommend having food in one's stomach beforehand to help with stomach sensitivity.

Also, "hot" soup (or any warm/hot liquid) may help to soothe a sore throat. I'm not a doctor or researcher myself, but some research used to show that the chicken from canned chicken-noodle soup may help the reduce the duration and/or symptoms of a cold. Surprisingly, it was believed that the "processed" chicken helped in some way. I also consume the chicken-noodle soup as it can help to hydrate oneself while having something to eat Smiley Happy Drinking some "hot" tea may also help to soothe a sore throat while helping with hydration, too. Using decaf tea can help one to not get insomnia while having a cold/virus or bacterial infection. If drinking herbal tea, such as green tea, please check with the pharmacist beforehand as side effects and/or drug interactions may occur.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/9/2014 denisemb said:

I hesitate to post this because is sounds like an old wive's tale or crazy, but I once had the mother of a friend insist on having me eat a piece of dry toast for a sore throat.

It sounds awful and didn't taste that great, but it worked! Evidently in certain circumstances, it "scratches" out the bacteria in your throat. Who knows, maybe it was a coincidence... {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I live in the Southwest...where there are many kitchen cures that "abuelitas" (grandmas) use to cure ills. One that is popular for sore throats and coughs -- lemon juice stirred into half a cup of hot water, stir in some honey and a pad of butter!! I know sounds gross, but it works!!

Honored Contributor

On 11/9/2014 corita said:
On 11/9/2014 denisemb said:

I hesitate to post this because is sounds like an old wive's tale or crazy, but I once had the mother of a friend insist on having me eat a piece of dry toast for a sore throat.

It sounds awful and didn't taste that great, but it worked! Evidently in certain circumstances, it "scratches" out the bacteria in your throat. Who knows, maybe it was a coincidence... {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I live in the Southwest...where there are many kitchen cures that "abuelitas" (grandmas) use to cure ills. One that is popular for sore throats and coughs -- lemon juice stirred into half a cup of hot water, stir in some honey and a pad of butter!! I know sounds gross, but it works!!

When I was little and would wake in the middle of the night with nonstop coughing, my mom would liberally butter small pieces of soft white bread for me to nibble. I guess the butter coated an irritated throat. And sometimes she would give me pea-sized amount of Vicks Vaporub to let it slowly melt and coat my throat.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

Gargling with salt water actually kills bacteria! Use 1 teaspoon per cup of warm H20 with fresh lemon added too. Homemade chicken soup has been proven to help too.
Honored Contributor

CHUCKY: Thanks for the Manuka Honey info. I'll look around (Web) for it!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Two 8 oz. glasses of coconut milk (So Delicious brand, as that is the only brand I know of) works for me every time. I also like soothing Ricola cough drops.

Honored Contributor

Warm salt water works the best for me.

Respected Contributor

Taking a zinc lozenge (Whole Foods store brand) at the onset usually knocks a sore throat right out for me. I also sip hot tea with lemon, agave nectar (or honey) and grated ginger throughout the day. Hope you get to feeling better.