Respected Contributor

Re: Best advice for knee replacement recovery....

I had a total left knee replacement in 2011 and total right knee replacement in 2012 at Hospital for Special Surgeries in New York City. Like everyone else in pain who had to finally make the decision to have it done, I sought the top knee replacement surgeon and never looked back. I have to honestly say it was the best decision I ever made. My surgeon, Dr. Haas, who is the pioneer of the minimally invasive total knee replacement was outstanding. I had to go to a class prior to the surgery to find out all the details that I would need to know after the surgery. I was driving 2 1/2 weeks after the first and second surgery and never thought about using those 'electric carts' at stores. I put my cane in the regular shopping cart (hey..all the shopping cart is is a big walker) and used it to walk around the store. When I got tired, I used the cane to go back to the car and go home which was only a few miles from my house. This was all done in about 3 weeks from both surgeries. The recommendations I can make are: keep a positive attitude, ice is your very best friend, take the medications prior to physical therapy and do what they tell you. I've found that your recovery will be faster if you have the right attitude and don't baby yourself. I'm not sure what part of the country you're from but I'm including a website to where I had my surgeries done and the doctor who performed them. http://www.hss.edu/physicians_haas-steven.asp#.U6iemPldU9I

Good luck and please post on your progress..

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Frequent Contributor

Excellent advise here. All I can say is best wishes for speedy recovery. It is a blessing we have this surgery available for us. Keep the knee moving and be determined to get your life back. I had mine done 10 yrs ago. You will be glad you did it.
Honored Contributor

On 6/23/2014 ciao_bella said:

I had a total left knee replacement in 2011 and total right knee replacement in 2012 at Hospital for Special Surgeries in New York City. Like everyone else in pain who had to finally make the decision to have it done, I sought the top knee replacement surgeon and never looked back. I have to honestly say it was the best decision I ever made. My surgeon, Dr. Haas, who is the pioneer of the minimally invasive total knee replacement was outstanding. I had to go to a class prior to the surgery to find out all the details that I would need to know after the surgery. I was driving 2 1/2 weeks after the first and second surgery and never thought about using those 'electric carts' at stores. I put my cane in the regular shopping cart (hey..all the shopping cart is is a big walker) and used it to walk around the store. When I got tired, I used the cane to go back to the car and go home which was only a few miles from my house. This was all done in about 3 weeks from both surgeries. The recommendations I can make are: keep a positive attitude, ice is your very best friend, take the medications prior to physical therapy and do what they tell you. I've found that your recovery will be faster if you have the right attitude and don't baby yourself. I'm not sure what part of the country you're from but I'm including a website to where I had my surgeries done and the doctor who performed them. http://www.hss.edu/physicians_haas-steven.asp#.U6iemPldU9I

I just heard about your hospital last night on MSNBC.

Lawrence O'Donnell was in a serious car crash overseas and went there for hip surgery. He said the hospital was fantastic. He actually was moved to tears talking about the care he received there.

I had never heard of that hospital - Lawrence said he had never heard of it either!

Trusted Contributor

I was the care giver for my Mom with both of her replacements. The top 3's for us

1. Riser for the toilet seat A MUST

2. Stick with your Therapy! Do not cheat, it hurts, but will only hurt yourself in the long run if you do not do it!

3.) Use the ski machine (dont know the technical name) as much as possible. It may not seem to make much difference, but it will help with scar tissue in the end.

Best of Luck, You will feel like a new person when it is over. You will feel good in about a month and awsome in 3 months!

Respected Contributor

On 6/23/2014 ciao_bella said:

Yes, Terrier3... Hospital for Special Surgeries is world re known and it is rated as the #1 Top Orthopedic Hospital in the Nation (see here) http://www.hss.edu/ When I was there I had seen some of the top stars from major football teams, basketball teams, baseball teams, etc. Katie Couric had a knee surgery done by my surgeon as well as other tv personalities.. (you could see their signed pictures of thank yous to the doctors) The care at that hospital was top notch. I can't say enough about it.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Valued Contributor

The best doctor and a good attitude.