Honored Contributor

Best advice for knee replacement recovery....

Well, I finally caved and called my orthopedic surgeon today and told him I'm ready. What is your best advice for ensuring a quality and quick recovery from knee replacement surgery? Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best advice for knee replacement recovery....

these things might sound minor but they made a big difference for me: wash your hair the night before you are admitted to the hospital and make an appointment at your hair salon for the day you are discharged (preferably on your way home from the hospital) . you will need your hair washed by the time you are discharged and you won't be able to do it yourself at home. on my way home from the hospital the nerve block was still working so I wasn't in much pain, but by the second day home it was a completely different story. take off your nail polish ( fingers and toes) before you go to the hospital. if you're the primary cook at your house, cook several meals in advance that you can freeze so you won't have to deal with making meals for a week or so. get a shower chair, a large plastic bag and some wide tape ( to wrap your leg when you are able to get in the shower). make arrangements in advance to have help available. even if you think you're tough enough that you won't need help, you're wrong. the first week home, I couldn't get in or out of bed without my husband's assistance. be sure you have a crutch and a walker to use during the first couple of weeks. doing your physical therapy is your best assurance for a timely recovery.

I wish you the best for your surgery and recovery.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

If you won't have someone with you full-time the first week or two, I'd see if your insurance covers rehab. My mother went for several week. There is no way my dad could have done meals, therapy, bathing, help to the bathroom, to the extent necessary. You may be just fine, in which case your stay might be short, but it's a good option. They don't release you until you can do all the chores you would when home. Standing, stairs, meal prep, etc.

Trusted Contributor

May I ask what is the average length of hospital stay?

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

Are you doing one knee or both?

Honored Contributor

Here I believe it is 1 or 2 nights in hospital. For hip replacement it is one night and two if it is a revision. Do as much as you can ahead of time like freezing meals, etc. Also, plan to ice your knee a lot when you get home. It really helps. (I have experience with hip replacements.)

Trusted Contributor

You can buy a plastic leg bag (I forget the actual name) and use it when you take a shower. Better than trying to wrap plastic around your lower leg. It's only about $10. Also having a shower chair is helpful so you can sit down to take your shower. If you go to thrift stores you probably might find a used one. I had a knee replacement done Sept. 2012 and had problems. Too much anesthesia. I was so groggy and nauseous that I when I stood up because they want you to start walking I refused. I could not eat and then I needed blood. After 3 days in the hospital I went to rehab for a week. It was awful. They didn't do much for me. It was a crazy place and I had 2 roommates -- one definitely crazy so I requested to get out of that room and the 2nd roomie watched TV all night and slept during the day. She kept complaining all the time to the nurses. I was able to wash my hair in the bathroom sink at rehab. I'm still having pain with my knee and cannot bend it completely, but they say that is expected. I had a PT come to my house for a couple of days for a few weeks which helped and used that machine on my leg. This was the worst surgery I've ever had and I've had 2 C-sections, hysterectomy, bunion surgery (both feet at the same time). Not to frighten you, but just my experience.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/5/2014 Divine said:

May I ask what is the average length of hospital stay?

I had a total replacement of one knee. the plan ( according to my doctor) was to be in the hospital for 4 days total. but by the end of the 2nd day I was walking well with assistance and after not sleeping for two nights ( because of the nonstop noise in the halls) I had to get out of there. I went home the morning of the 3rd day.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/5/2014 Daysdee said:

Here I believe it is 1 or 2 nights in hospital. For hip replacement it is one night and two if it is a revision. Do as much as you can ahead of time like freezing meals, etc. Also, plan to ice your knee a lot when you get home. It really helps. (I have experience with hip replacements.)

I went home from the hospital with a device that circulated ice water through the knee wrap. that thing was my best friend for weeks. it helped to soothe the pain and reduce the swelling.

Trusted Contributor

I've had three neck surgeries, my brother just had a knee replaced, so I will tell you what I told him. Use the meds they give you! There is no need to "tough it out," you will not get addicted from a few pain killers - they won't give you enough. But the first few days can be tough, no doubt. My brother, who is 67 and in excellent shape, only needed them a few days, but everyone is different. I've had many physical therapy sessions, and I've seen knee patients working to get the "range of motion" back. It looks very painful, but you have to work at it, and it's worth it! My brother put his surgery off a long time (whimp! LOL!) and now you'd never know there was a problem! So hang in there, follow what the doctors, nurses and PT's tell you to do, and you'll be fine! Good luck! Btw, with any hospital stay, treat the nurses and they'll love you for it! My husband brought in a pizza for me and got one for the nurses as well. When a patient with Sundowner's was put in the bed next to me and became very loud and difficult as the day wore on, they moved me to my own room - I didn't even have to ask! And don't be afraid to speak up if you are in pain or need something. Most nurses are angels and are more than happy to help!