Honored Contributor

Re: Best Product to track steps while walking?

@Nightowlz --yes, as I stated---your arm movements count as steps--I actually put the fitbit I had on my ankle so it was the leg/foot steps it counted--that was alot more accurate but not very comfy---

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee 
I use a standalone pedometer. You can get it on Amazon and the brand is 3DFitBud. It's not expensive, easy to use, comes on a lanyard and also has a clip so you can wear it either way. Or you can even just have it in the purse you carry. I love it.

Trusted Contributor

@SouthernBee  I know what you mean.  I've never had luck with pedometers.  My favorite for outdoor walking or anywhere are audio walking workouts.  They keep you on track, and I enjoy listening to the music at various speeds.  Over the years, I've had them in cassette tape format, CD format, and I have a few on my iPod.  My favorite walking CDs are from Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Debby Rocker, and the American Heart Association.  I still have my portable cassette player and portable CD player from the Walkman days!  See if your public library has them to try them first.  And there are many other fitness experts who have (or had) CDs.     

Honored Contributor

@Thats Me : Thank you. I was reading the info and reviews on this one this morning and will order it.

@Thats Me wrote:

@SouthernBee 
I use a standalone pedometer. You can get it on Amazon and the brand is 3DFitBud. It's not expensive, easy to use, comes on a lanyard and also has a clip so you can wear it either way. Or you can even just have it in the purse you carry. I love it.

Honored Contributor

@walkingal : Thank you so much for this information and will research this.

@walkingal wrote:

@SouthernBee  I know what you mean.  I've never had luck with pedometers.  My favorite for outdoor walking or anywhere are audio walking workouts.  They keep you on track, and I enjoy listening to the music at various speeds.  Over the years, I've had them in cassette tape format, CD format, and I have a few on my iPod.  My favorite walking CDs are from Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Debby Rocker, and the American Heart Association.  I still have my portable cassette player and portable CD player from the Walkman days!  See if your public library has them to try them first.  And there are many other fitness experts who have (or had) CDs.     

Regular Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I have a Fitbit Versa which I like very much to track steps, heartrate, and sleep.  HOWEVER, it does not track steps if you are not swinging your arms along with your steps.  I spent a long time pushing a cart through Costco, and it recorded about 80 steps!  Same thing on a golf course pushing my clubs with a cart.  My brother advised putting my Fitbit in my pocket if I'm not swinging my arms.  Works great!  My next Costco trip logged over 1,000 steps.  I got mine at Kohls.

Yes! On the Fitbit community they recommend putting the Versa in your pocket, even when walking on a treadmill it counts the steps accurately done that way. I noticed it wasn't counting steps accurately on my treadmill even though I moved my arms. I can't understand why it is accurate in my pocket but at least it works.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Thats Me : Thank you. I was reading the info and reviews on this one this morning and will order it.

@Thats Me wrote:

@SouthernBee 

@Thats Me 

I was wondering how those that said 3D worked since it sounded like they may work better. I may try one of those. I prefer to put my fitbit in my pocket vs wearing the band since it gets hot. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz @Mine was a gift so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I can tell you it's very versatile in terms of how you wear it. In your pocket, your purse, clipped to your clothing, or worn around your neck. It stops automatically when it doesn't register any steps for a bit. It starts automatically when you walk. Couldn't be easier. You press a button underneath to reset the count to 0. I know my friend did some research and she probably determined that for the price this was the best.

Respected Contributor

put the phone in your sock. I got an elastic band, for my fitbit and put that on my ankle and got more(at least i think so) reading/step count.

i also have a galaxy-samsung watch and you could do the same thing with that watch. Just put in sock/around ankle.

i don't think any of the smart watches are accurate.

Honored Contributor

@Thats Me : Thank you. I love the 3DFitBud. Super simple and just one button to reset.I am wearing ankle soxs and clip it on the front. No issues counting steps. This is great using around the house. When I go out will put it in my skirt pocket.

@Thats Me wrote:

@SouthernBee