Trusted Contributor

What is the best OTC medicine for athlete's feet? And, do you have any other words of wisdom about what produces results in getting rid of it? I have never had athlete's feet before and wait until I'm a senior citizen to get it!!! In addition, I now have nail fungus on both feet and cellulitis on my right foot and few small spots on my left foot. Have NO idea how I picked all this up. All I know is I want to get rid of each and every one of them, but we have to treat the cellulitis first, with athlete's foot treatment/prevention.

TIA.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

Re: Best OTC for athlete's feet

Lotrimin. Athlete's foot is a type of yeast infection. Keep your feet dry. Go barefoot, if you can. Yeast grows in dark, damp places.

Rotate your shoes, don't wear the same pair every day. Feet sweat a lot, and it takes shoes at least 24 hours to dry.

Honored Contributor

The only experience my family has ever had with athletes foot, was with my younger daughter when she was about 7. We bought an OTC can of spray stuff the pharmacist recommended, and with extreme diligence, the fungus went away. It just happened to be summer, and my daughter insisted on wearing those plastic "jellies" shoes that were so popular at the time. I knew those shoes were contributing to the problem, but my daughter refused to wear anything else. So every night when she took a bath, we soaked those plastic shoes in a bleach solution, rinsed, and let them dry overnight.

Honored Contributor

We used to use Absorbine Jr.

Honored Contributor

Lamisil spray. Spray shoes with Lysol to saturate more than one time. Use chlorine bleach in shower. Wash white socks with some chlorine bleach or buy new socks. Buy or wear leather shoes or shoes with aeration. Lamicil creams also work. You'll need Qtips to apply the cream. Wash hands with soap often. Use paper towels to dry hands for awhile or bleach and white hand and body towels and bath mats. Lamicil really works great. Dry between toes with paper towels. I'd wear latex disposable gloves for this.
Super Contributor

My podiatrist recommends Betadyne for athlete's foot and other ailments of the feet. Apply it every day to the effected area.

You want to keep the area dry (other than the Betadyne) and that means no creams or lotions.

Honored Contributor

Lamisil
Honored Contributor

Use your hair dryer to blow your feet TOTALLY dry before applying any treatment. The fungii that cause most foot infections do not readily grow without moisture present, but putting treatments on even slightly damp skin is far less effective than drying thoroughly first.
Honored Contributor

Lamasil.

New Contributor

What OTC product did you use that eradicated both athlete's foot and nail fungus? Like you, I have no clue how I acquired both of these foot problems. Any help would be appreciated!