Honored Contributor

I stay away from Red Yeast Rice, it is a form of a statin. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Our internist had my husband take Berberine for his high cholesterol as he cannot tolerate ANY of the statin drugs. It didn't help much with his cholesterol---and he had constant diarrhea as a side effect-----which is a common side effect of metformin (which happeed to me when I was put on metformin years ago). Once my husband came off of the Berberine, the diarrhea stopped. He's also taking Kyolic garlic tablets--he hasn't had any side effects from it, but it also isn't working much on his lipids. Not impressed with any of those supplements.

Respected Contributor

if you are taking berberine, would you mind giving a brand name? there are so many out there, it's confusing. i would like to try something recommended. thank you.

Respected Contributor

Berberine seems to be helpful in controling IBS-D and SIBO. 

I'm having problems attaching links but there are multiple sources such as NIH. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Berberine seems to be helpful in controling IBS-D and SIBO. 

I'm having problems attaching links but there are multiple sources such as NIH. 

Berberine is a very mild antibiotic and when taken in certain doses it can cause constipation or diarrhea in some people. When I take too much of it then I get constipated. You just have to find the right amount to take which works for you in the best way possible. That might take some trial and error but eventually you'll get it right.

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

if you are taking berberine, would you mind giving a brand name? there are so many out there, it's confusing. i would like to try something recommended. thank you.

@10sluvr 

I started with Andrew Lessman's and then went to PipingRock dot com. AL's are 250mg caps and PR's are 500mg caps. Dosage is partly diet dependent so you'll need to know how your system will use the berberine. If you get gastro issues then you probably need to go to a lower dosage or stop taking it for a few days to let your system get back to normal. 

I take one 500mg cap twice daily with food and sometimes I take three caps b/c of what I've eaten. Just depends on diet mostly. I like to take berberine for 7 consecutive days and then stop for two or three days then start up again. My gut does better when I do that but yours won't be the same as mine. Find what dose and method works best for you. HTH.

Honored Contributor

Berberine takes about 3 months to see results in your blood tests. You will also experience a little weight loss during that amount of time, too...maybe 10 to 15 pounds.

I had to go off my berberine for almost a month for medical reasons and I gained almost 8 pounds! 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

@10sluvr 

I started with Andrew Lessman's and then went to PipingRock dot com. AL's are 250mg caps and PR's are 500mg caps. Dosage is partly diet dependent so you'll need to know how your system will use the berberine. If you get gastro issues then you probably need to go to a lower dosage or stop taking it for a few days to let your system get back to normal. 

I take one 500mg cap twice daily with food and sometimes I take three caps b/c of what I've eaten. Just depends on diet mostly. I like to take berberine for 7 consecutive days and then stop for two or three days then start up again. My gut does better when I do that but yours won't be the same as mine. Find what dose and method works best for you. HTH.

one more nosey question. Do you get the ones with cinnamon? They are having a good sale right now. Thanks for your help!

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

@10sluvr 

one more nosey question. Do you get the ones with cinnamon? They are having a good sale right now. Thanks for your help!

@10sluvr 

No and your're welcome.Woman Happy