Honored Contributor

Yes...I will speak with my doctor, but....

has anyone taken berberine?  It is to help lower cholesterol.

What I read says it works by inhibiting a enzyme  called PCSK9, supposedly leads to more LDL being removed from the blood stream.

Just curious is anyone has tried it and if it worked.

thank you

Super Contributor

The safety of using berberine for any condition is not adequately defined by high-quality clinical research.[7]

Its potential for causing adverse effects is high, including untoward interactions with prescription drugs, reducing the intended effect of established therapies.[7] Berberine weakly inhibits the CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 enzymes which are involved in metabolism of endogenous substances and xenobiotics, including many prescription drugs.[8]

It is particularly unsafe for use in children.[

I'd not take it until more studies have been done.  But that's just me.

Honored Contributor

I've been taking it for about 3 years. It brought my LDL and A1C numbers back down to normal. 

Berberine comes from a plant similar to metformin and it also acts like metformin does, too. Some time ago, while researching berberine, I ran across an article (on the FDA website) about the possibility of berberine becoming a Rx drug sometime in the future. That article was discussing the similarities between metformin and berberine plus that berberine also reduces bad cholesterol.  That bit of info perked my ears up and then I decided to try it and never looked back.

At one time I had elevated LDL levels and so my doc put me on statins which in turn caused my A1C to go up. Then my doc wanted me to go on metformin to bring my A1C down. Ridiculous! One drug caused me to have to take another...I said no and found a way out of that situ for good.

Honored Contributor

I also lower my cholesterol naturally, no statins. I take plant sterol caps, policosonal, panthenine and beta glucans. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs,

Since Berberine has some of the same properties as metformin, just like red yeast rice has some of the same properties and side effects as statins, I like to take garlic or ginger.

I lowered my bad cholesterol 30 points with garlic capsules.

I had a primary care doctor tell me he had high cholesterol but would never take statins.

I also have mostly a plant based diet too but some high cholesterol is genetic and changing a diet doesn't always help.

You can read a lot about vitamins/supplements lowering cholesterol and which to avoid for different reasons.

I've also tried Niacin (b3) but you have to be very careful not to take too much of that. 

It does seem that so many doctors are quick to prescribe the rx that is mostly prescribed without acknowledging the bad side effects and then yes, may prescribe another to offset those! 

I think a good doctor should be very aware of natural ways to treat things  no matter what kind of doctor they are. If they aren't trained in that and nutrition, I still think they should read enough to be aware of these alternatives to so many dangerous medications. Of course some you have to weigh the treatment vs the side effects because they are life saving. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  thank you, I need to make an appt with my nurse practicioner...it will probably be 6 weeks before I  can get in!

Honored Contributor

My GI doctor recommended I take it for intestinal health and it helps with that, I read up on all the other benefits so that was a bonus since I'm already taking it. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I take berberine--  as per my cardiologist,  along with policosanol, citrus bergamot and red yeast rice. Helps me with my high cholesterol and blood pressure. I can't take any statins as I have side effects from them. I have a family history of high cholesterol and a very high HDL, also hereditary. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Hope you are well! Say, how much berberine mg wise do you take a day? Thankyou !❤️

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee  Hope you are well! Say, how much berberine mg wise do you take a day? Thankyou !❤️

@SeaMaiden 

I take one 500mg cap twice or three times daily (with food), depending what I have eaten that day.